Forum Member

Default Comparing Departments

I have the honor of having two conditional offers on the table for a full time firefighter position. IMO, which ever department I choose, it's a win win for me because they are both excellent departments.

However, I was looking for some advice for comparing the two departments with pros and cons and anything else that would be a deciding factor.

Culture of the department, schedule, location, salary...those are a few of the things I've looked at.

Any other factors you can come up with?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

size
    number of stations
    promotion process

benefits
    how many raises have they recieved over the last ten years

training oppurtunity

do you know anyone on both depts, you can trust to talk to

equipment replacement policy

mainly young or old firefighters

do you want to live in or near the city or are you going to commute from where you live now

does the city population and upper city management support the fire department

any cuts over the last ten years

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_Bonovich View Post
    I have the honor of having two conditional offers on the table for a full time firefighter position. IMO, which ever department I choose, it's a win win for me because they are both excellent departments.

However, I was looking for some advice for comparing the two departments with pros and cons and anything else that would be a deciding factor.

Culture of the department, schedule, location, salary...those are a few of the things I've looked at.

Any other factors you can come up with?

Thanks in advance.
    History with layoffs, the municipality that the department is located in... what is their current economic situation? Equipment, do they replace things only when needed or are they proactive?

Forum Member

The quality of the call volume. Not just how busy they are but what kind of calls are they going to. I usually try to figure out what the average house is like since you always have the busy and slow ones.

For example all medicals vs. working fires every few days.

Ability to gain on the job and training experiece is huge too. That's what I would add to the above. Great stuff those guys mentioned.

Forum Member

Look at retirement benefits currently offered. Some departments are making serious changes to their retirement benefits.

Forum Member

Just coming at it from a slightly different angle. When I look at a department the first thing I look at is the actual city/town it's in and ask myself do I see myself living her for the next 20+ years, raising a family here etc. For example, I'd love to get the kind of call volume and nature of calls Detroit gets. In my opinion and a lot of others they are some of the best, if not the best, firefighters in the country. But it will be a cold day in hell before I live in Detroit or the surrounding area. So look at your two cities and see where your heart lies, not necessarily in terms of the department, but when you're old and gray playing with your grandchildren.

Thread Information