Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New Pierce model?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    So what if YOUR Mack will be pumping a fire musters. Weren't you the one whining about not accepting new ideas???
    BTW, I do seem to remember all those old trucks eating alternators, causing interference with the radios, and yes, even breaking down.
    The fact is, the day of the Mack is long gone. End of story.
    Had an old Mack CF 's alternator go bad on a fire -shut off the lights and kept pumping - got the fire out , shifted it manually back into road , clicked the old Allison 740 in gear and DROVE it to the shop. I agree `100% with Bones -- we need to embrace the GOOD/ useful/functional improvements, but don't slobber all over ourselves over the latest and greatest, while discarding the older dependable features.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and Woodbridge like this.
    ?

Forum Member

So what if YOUR Mack will be pumping a fire musters. Weren't you the one whining about not accepting new ideas???
    BTW, I do seem to remember all those old trucks eating alternators, causing interference with the radios, and yes, even breaking down.

If my Mack eats an alternator, I lose electricity. She keeps running and pumping water into the line thats going into the building with my guys on the other end.......

If your Pierce (or whatever other modern air conditioned super luxurious multiplexed electronic azzhole you are using) eats an alternator- what happens? As I said before- You stand there with your limp **** in your hand. Oh, and write a very large check to the local heavy tow operator, and an even larger one to the repair shop to fix the problem.

End of story.
    FyredUp likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I learned early never to make fun of the oldest truck in a station. No matter what condition it is in, it saved someone's bacon at least once and is sacrosanct.

By the same token, I can also remember when an entire Pierce price list was about 50 pages and detailed specs were about 35. (Page 15 was a 750 GPM pump, 15A was a 1000 gallon. Pull the staple and remove the page that wasn't necessary then hand it to the chief.)

Darn. Does Geritol actually work?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

So what if YOUR Mack will be pumping a fire musters.

I never said a thing about fire musters. You have no clue what I intend to do with this rig. So roll your eyes all you wish.

Weren't you the one whining about not accepting new ideas???

Clearly you openly embrace any thing that comes down the line because it is shiny and new. Far less visionary than those that question and wait to see if new technology works. Look at pressure governors when they first came out, I can tell you a dozen stories of $400K+ rigs that once they arrived on scene couldn't and wouldn't pump a drop because of a computer failure. Many of those departments were happy to have older rigs that saved their a z z es at those calls when they actually worked.

My bet is if you read what I have posted over time here instead of looking at every post I have made about MY Mack CF you would see that I am pretty radical in equipment and ideas. Sorry to make your little vendetta look stupid, but it is what it is.

This Mack never has, but I have seen computers on new rigs power them down, not let the transmission shift properly, not let the pump go into gear, not let the aerial raise or rotate, turn warning lights off, and the best of all not even let the rig start. Yeah, this new technology and dependence on miles of wire and multiple computers is awesome.

So is the day of the simple, easy to fix, fire truck. That is the real end of story.
    You really need to chill out and stop being such an angry person over this.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-20-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    I learned early never to make fun of the oldest truck in a station. No matter what condition it is in, it saved someone's bacon at least once and is sacrosanct.

By the same token, I can also remember when an entire Pierce price list was about 50 pages and detailed specs were about 35. (Page 15 was a 750 GPM pump, 15A was a 1000 gallon. Pull the staple and remove the page that wasn't necessary then hand it to the chief.)

Darn. Does Geritol actually work?
    Our 1978 Mack specs were 32 pages. My 2010 engine was 128. Ahh for the simpler days.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Classic lines, impecable lineage, a workhorse that never let us down at a fire, and still purrs like a kitten...

Name:  164.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  37.3 KB

I just took her for the spring shake down cruise of about ten miles and she ran just fine. The Q and the air horns were like angels singing in harmony with that mack diesel.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-20-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

AH yes::: the sound of a bulldog biting a cat on the arse
    :-}

Forum Member

You know the most ironic thing about this discussion? Pierce, the re-inventor of everything old and making it new again, is using the designator CF for one of their cabs. And NO, I don't think for one damn second that it is a coincidence. They are playing hard on a name that sold a ton of fire apparatus.
    FWDbuff likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

There are a bunch of Pierce pumpers around New Jersey, with a Mack CF chassis under them. What other than there own chassis, did Pierce build on ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You really need to chill out and stop being such an angry person over this.
    Angry?? Not hardly. Just pointing out your hypocracy...

But I do hope you enjoy running your engine, yes they were very nice back in the day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    There are a bunch of Pierce pumpers around New Jersey, with a Mack CF chassis under them. What other than there own chassis, did Pierce build on ?
    Thousands of Ford (Budd) C-Cab chassis, Jimmies, Chevys, and a ton of other commercial builder chassis.

Forum Member

johnsb, Angry?? Not hardly. Just pointing out your hypocracy...

No hypocrisy at all. I stated quite clearly that I can appreciate the creature comforts of a modern piece of fire apparatus. I am not however ready to toss the old on the scrap heap of your obsolesence. There are many places that would look at my Mack as a gift from God.

But I do hope you enjoy running your engine, yes they were very nice back in the day.

I enjoy the heck out of my engine. I like the head turns when I run it down the road.
    Today I bought her a present. A brand new 6 foot FDNY roof hook. Every day is a step closer to getting her fully equipped again!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    When I was just getting into this industry they would build on anyone's chassis because they did not have their own. It wasn't until the introduction of the Pierce Arrow at the end of the '70s that things started to change. The most popular product of they had that I sold was the Suburban model based on the C9000 Ford tilt cab with a 3208 Cat. I remember them distinctly. Top sped was 61 MPH. I swear they couldn't go faster if they fell off a cliff. After one long drive in a demo unit during a snowstorm I pulled into a gas station and found that I had snow on my boots before I got out of the cab. The Suburban was their bread and butter for well over 15 years, probably closer to 25.

If I remember correctly, Oshkosh built the running rails for the Arrow when it was introduced and Pierce finished them off. Later, Pierce started building them up from scratch. Back then Pierce had a decent market in utility bodies for power companies and was building bodies for Horton ambulances so fire apparatus was not their only market but was quickly overtaking all other aspects due to a very good dealer network.

I think those utility bodies are how Pierce developed a relationship with Snorkel but am not totally sure about that. I do know that I had a department that needed a new compartment door for one of their Seagraves and called us for it. I wasn't sure I could help them but they insisted that Seagrave told them to contact the Pierce dealer. When I inspected the unit I found a Pierce ID plate on the body. Apparently Pierce had a contract with Snorkel that ensured that all of their devices would have a Pierce body or that Pierce would mount the device and supply the body around it. I have slept since then but that is how I remember the situation. Anyone who can enlighten me to other details would be greatly appreciated.

At any rate, none of their mini-pumpers were ever built on a Pierce chassis. Almost all of their tankers back then were built on commercial chassis due to price. The Minuteman was based around commercial chassis. Just a guess but, I would be willing to bet that at least half of all the fire bodies they have built to date were installed on commercial chassis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Today I bought her a present. A brand new 6 foot FDNY roof hook. Every day is a step closer to getting her fully equipped again!
    Not a big Mack fan myself but I can remember a trade-in I got once. That thing had been neglected, rejected and left to rot. Driving it back I couldn't exceed 50 MPH because the Q2B would start howling. Needless to say it had been used hard and put away wet. What I remember most was I felt like I was driving a drag racer. It seemed like it only took a second in any gear before I had to shift. It was like riding an aging race horse, maybe ready for retirement but ready to prove it was up to the task.

Forum Member

Bye the way, FyredUp, thought I would mention why I came back to the forums.

I am glad you and LA found common ground. We all need to learn to agree and disagree without vitriol. The mere fact that you and him sat down to meet impressed me. Snark has its place but in this forum everyone is involved in public safety and the need to address subjects in an objective manner is important. It might seem like this forum is our little corner of the world but the internet is forever and doesn't forget. All of these discussions are easy to find on a search engine and not only firefighters read the content. To the uninitiated, it would look more like a battle than a family squabble like it really is.

I am going to try to improve my attitude when posting even though I just posted a snarky reply in another sub-forum. In defense, the snark was warranted, in my opinion, due to firefighter safety. But, I am trying and see that you are too. It ain't easy, is it? We all care deeply or we wouldn't be involved with public safety in one way or another.

Forum Member

So it's a retooled Enforcer..

Forum Member

All that build up and what do they deliver...??? YAWN.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

but it comes with an all new embroidered prayer rug and drool bucket with the pierce logo on it.

Innovative design :-}

Forum Member

Thumbs up More Room

The only good part of the big news is the larger cab for the Saber which was very small inside !

Forum Member

Thumbs up More Room

And the Enforcer has a big block motor option !
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 04-13-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Forum Member

All this fanfare, hoopla and fireworks in every fire service periodical, magazine and newspaper from Maine to California in a typical Brand-P media blitz.

Only one problem- it's still a Pierce!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rpbravest29fd View Post
    So it's a retooled Enforcer..
    So instead of re-inventing other manufacturers innovations, they're now re-inventing their own?

Thread Information