Forum Member

Default Fire management officer. Fire warden.

I'm a new guy here and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the job fire management officer posted on usajobs or as a forest fire warden. I'm on my town FD and will be attending the Call/Vol academy over the summer. I'm enrolled in the fire science program at my CC and plan on moving towards a BS in biology or ecology and a masters in forestry or wildlife conservation. I have a strong interest in wildland fire fighting and forestry. I'm looking at future careers and the fire management job and forest fire warden are two careers I find alot of interest in. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in either of those two and would mind telling me if they enjoyed them, how hard it was to find them and what type of person they're looking for.

Forum Member

I am currently a seasonal firefighter with the USFS. It is a lot of fun, you see a lot of land and do things most people will never experience. You are going to need experience before you just move into a FMO position. I would recommend getting your S-190, S-130, S-110, L-180, I-100, IS-700 certificates so you can start applying for an entry level wild land firefighter position.

If you like working hard, have a good attitude and are not afraid of dirty wilderness conditions then this line of work is for you.

It sounds like the Forest Service would be a great fit for you since you have a specific interest in forestry and there is more opportunities nation wide on many different unique forests. Also National park service and BLM could have opportunities for you as well.

Anyway good luck.
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 02-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Member

If you're talking about FMO with a fed agency then no amount of college will make you a FMO... You need fire experience and a lot of it! Focus on the 25m target first, and get a job as a seasonal with one of those agencies.

No clue about Fire warden, that must be an east coast thing...

Forum Member

Like the others said, an FMO is basically a forest fire Chief officer. Years of experience and these days a college degree in some form of natural resources.

Don't know where you are located, but there are lots of schools with natural resource degrees, forestry is a common one. Some schools are beginning to offer degrees in fire ecology which would be an excellent one for someone hoping to reach the upper ranks of wildland fire management.

As the others said though, walk before you run. Working as a seasonal firefighter can be a great way to help pay for school.

The federal agencies classify their firefighters within the forestry technician (0462) and range technician (0455) job series.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. The college in my state is UMASS Amherst, they offer NRC with a focus on forestry which is what I'll probably be doing. After I attend my Call/Vol training i'll keep an eye open on those seasonal tech position. I'll also look at my states Fire Control divison aswell.

Forum Member

Forest Warden is a Massachusetts thing, usually the town's Fire Chief is also appointed the town's Forest Warden (something to do with the state laws about fighting forest fires, vs structural firefighting)
    But like the others have said, FMO is nearly always a Fed agency postion, that requires many years of experience (and possibly a degree) to attain. Mass DCR is a small agency, usually only a couple full time year round Patrolman and district Warden positions, with seasonal positions for tower lookouts and park/forest staff who double as fire crews
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Forum Member

Hey RangerJake I sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it or not..

Forum Member

I worked as a Park Ranger for the ACOE and I meet a few DCR forest firefighters. I'm scouring the state website for a seasonal job to open up.

Thread Information