Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Just curious what how your dept does work?

I have some questions. I want to see the differences and similarities within Depts.
    Feel free to ask your own questions.

Where is your Dept at?

Are you urban or rural?

How many calls do you have?

How many members do you have?

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]?

What are your requirements for your dept? (ie how many call have to be made, what tanning
    level you have to be at)

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response?

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV?

How often does your depts. train?

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene?

Does Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios?

Where is your Dept at? Missouri valley IA

Are you urban or rural? Rural

How many calls do you have? 2013 around 350

How many members do you have? around 25

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? yes, bls

What are your requirements for your dept? (ie how many call have to be made, what tanning
    level you have to be at) have to make 10% of all calls in one yr, have to either ff1 or emt in first yr

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? no set people (come if u can) home responses

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? no, Iowa only allows blue lights

How often does your depts. train? ones a month

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? Meet at station, unless an officer or IC says to meet On scene

Does Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios? only chiefs are issued radios

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ffmace161 View Post
    Where is your Dept at?
    Central Virginia.

Are you urban or rural?
    Mixture of rural and suburban.

550/year on average.

About 55 on the roster, about 25 active.

BLS first responder, although we do have several ALS providers as members.

level you have to be at)
    . Complete rookie book within first 6 months of membership, enroll in FF1 or EMT within one year of membership, must be FF1 to go in on a fire and/or ride in charge.

Both - we average 176 hours per week of station staffing.

Lights only, sirens are reserved for emergency vehicles.

Two official three-hour training sessions per month, plus other less formal training. Our members did about 2100 hours of training in 2013.

Mixture - depends on the location of the call and the location of the member(s). We have a 56 square mile first due and members spread throughout that area.

Only the chief, assistant chief, and senior captain. Everyone else is issued pagers.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at? Northern Iowa

How many calls do you have? ~60 a year

How many members do you have? 20

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? Yes, BLS Non-Transport

level you have to be at) No call requirements. FF1 training has to be completed within a 18 months of joining. Driver and pump training before operating apparatus. EMS training (other than CPR/First Aid) is not mandatory.

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? Home Response

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? Can run Blue lights in Iowa, no sirens. None of our members run lights.

How often does your depts. train? Minimum 2 nights a month, most of the time we have something weekly.

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? Respond to station. Only Chief can approve POV response and it must be under extreme circumstances.

Officers are given portables. FF's are given portables if the Chief sees the need for them to carry one other than on an incident. We have radios on the trucks for people to use during incidents.

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at?
    -Eastern "lakes region" NH, on the border with Maine

Are you urban or rural?
    -Rural, 40 square miles- with a mountain in the middle of town limits to complicate things...

-2013 had 283 calls, 2012 was a handful over 300

-10, including 2 auxillary (see below)

-Yes, BLS response, non-transport. Currently 2 EMT-B and 2 EMR (first responder). One EMT-B is in class for EMT-A though.

level you have to be at)
    -I believe enrollment in FFI or EMT within a year of joining. We also have an auxiliary membership for those that want to be of assistance to the department but not obtain certifications.

-Primarily home response. Station is usually staffed with 2 on Saturday's from 9am-1pm

-Red lights here, inside of town limits only. The state allows sirens but the department does not.

-1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month as well as the Saturday following the 3rd Wednesday

-There is no SOP that I'm aware of on this. 98% of the time, if I'm home when we get a call I'll head to the station since I live the closest (still 6 minutes away). Usually the Lt comes to the station too and we take the first due engine. The only time I've gone direct to the scene (when I've been home) is when it's an alarm-type situation and I know I'll be first there or if it's on the way to the station. Since we are small in numbers and very spread out, it would be hard to require response to the station 100% of the time. We usually have a good idea of who is "around" and know if anyone is out of town for an extended period of time and base response on that.

-At this time everyone has a portable. BUT we are a small department and several years ago got a grant to purchase radios. As membership (hopefully) increases beyond the number of portables I have a feeling priority on issuing them will be given to officers and certified members.

I have some questions. I want to see the differences and similarities within Depts.

Where is your Dept at?
    Northern NY

Are you urban or rural?
    Rural

Averaging about 120 a year

25, about 15 active

BLS, non-transport

What are your requirements for your dept? (ie how many call have to be made, what training
    level you have to be at)
    10% of the calls, five meetings, required training

Home response

Can you run lights and sirens in your POV?
    Chiefs can run RLAS, all other blue "courtesy" light only

Not as much as we should

Station except officers, who oftimes go to the station anyhow.

Do Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios?
    Officers and key personnel only have issued portables. Everyone gets a pager.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I am very fortunate to have landed a career gig at an early age but I have stayed active with my volunteer company as well. I will give the states on the volunteer side of my life.

Where is your Dept at? Central New Jersey (Approx. 40 minutes from Manhatten)

Are you urban or rural? Urban

How many calls do you have? Average 950 @ my station (3,500 as a department)

How many members do you have? 55

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? No EMS, the occasional assist with a lift only.

level you have to be at) minimum percentage is 45% of all calls, training, and meetings. State Firefighter Level 1 required to respond to calls.

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? Home response

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? Blue lights only per state law

How often does your depts. train? Minimum of three training drills per month (Tuesday Nights)

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? Station Response Only, unless a Chief

Does Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios? Line Officers only, portables are stored on the rigs for everyone elses use.

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at?
    Oklahoma

Are you urban or rural?
    mostly rural, some suburban

About 400/yr

Avg 35

Yes, BLS non transport though we do have several medics.

What are your requirements for your dept? (ie how many call have to be made, what training
    level you have to be at)

EMT & FF1 within first 12 months

Staff as possible on your shift day if you live outside the district. All else is home response.

Negative

Training nights once a week plus guys go to whatever training is going on in the state as available.

Always station first.

Key guys have radios, everyone has a pager.

Where is your Dept at? Northwestern PA

How many calls do you have? Lately the average has been 200

How many members do you have? 20 active

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? BLS-non transport

level you have to be at) I have to be missing something. I can't think of any "tanning" requirements from any departments I have heard of Seriously though, you only have to meet requirements to vote in meetings or on officers, not to be a member.

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? From home

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? Only chiefs can run red lights, and sirens can only be used in conjunction with red lights. The rest can run blue lights, but most don't

How often does your depts. train? Every Monday night

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? SOP's are for everyone to go to the scene unless you are medically trained and going by the scene on the way to the hall. Unless, of course you are a chief.

All officers are issued portables otherwise they are kept on the apparatus

Forum Member

[B]Where is your Dept at?
    Southeast Iowa

Are you urban or rural?
    Rural

225 average

We do no EMS

level you have to be at)

Must get FF1 with in 1 year. We train once a week. Suppose to make 25% of calls.

Home Response

Only a blue courtesy light in Iowa

1 time a week is our official meeting

Meet at the station

Officers are issued radios. All the trucks have enough for riding positions. We are allowed to buy our own with permission of the chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where is your Dept at? Southern Maryland

How many calls do you have? About 2200 per year

How many members do you have? Approximately 100.

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? BLS, although we have several members who are ALS qualified.

level you have to be at) EMT within first 2 years. FF1 in order to ride fire apparaus. Must get a total of 60 points per years (calls, training, drill, meetings fundraising/collateral duty)

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? Home response, although we normally have at least 1 crew at the station.

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? For most members, no. Chief officers are allowed a single dash light only.

How often does your depts. train? Drills approximatly every week. Training provided by MFRI and offered throughout the year.

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? All members must ride apparatus from the station. Only officers allowed to go to the scene.

Does Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios? Captains and above are issued radios, each apparatus has portable radios.

Where is your Dept at? Eastern edge of the Texas Rolling Plains

Are you urban or rural? Rural. Woodson has a population of 262. Primary coverage area is 452 square miles.

How many calls do you have? Varies greatly depending on the year, but average is 40-50. This past year was less than 30. The two years before were over 70, and five of those were multi-day events.

How many members do you have? 16 active

Does your Dept do EMS? If so at what level? [BLS,ALS]? BLS non-transport

level you have to be at) No specific requirements on the number of calls, and nothing specific on training, although that will likely change in the near future.

Does your dept staff people at the station? Or Home response? Home response.

Can you run lights and sirens in our POV? Lights are allowed, and a few members have them.

How often does your depts. train? Once a month.

Do you meet at the station first? Or just take your POV to the scene? Meet at the station. The only exception to that is if we are responding to a non-fire call and would pass or nearly pass the location on the way to town to the fire hall. The chief also may use his POV to go directly to scene.

Does Firefighters get issued portable radios OR who gets radios? Yes, everyone in the department is issued a portable radio.

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at?
    We're a national service now, but I'm in what used to be the fire service for the Grampian area of Northeast Scotland.

Are you urban or rural?
    My station is suburban. Our suburban areas are much, much smaller than those in the US, so our territory also covers a large rural area and we are often called into the city, too.

An average of 330+ a year, or about one a day. Like Trumpton, really.

Thousands, being a national service. We have ten at my station.

All that sort of stuff is done by the Scottish Ambulance Service.

level you have to be at)
    For retained crew like me we must be available at least 90 hours a week and attend at least 48 training nights every year.

We're all on call. We do have full-time staff at the station, but they aren't operational firefighters, they're mostly involved in fire investigation and fire safety inspection.

Unfortunately, that's not legal here.

We have drill nights every Wednesday.

We go to the station, crew the vehicle and head out. We aren't allowed to leave the station with less than a crew of four, so the engine shows as unavailble to control if there aren't at least four of us booked on the availability system.
    We aren't allowed to go straight to the scene of an incident on our own, we have to go to the station. This has led to several occassions where I've driven all the way to the station only to follow the same route back to an incident only a few hundred yards from my house and one occassion where I ran past a burning house on the way to the station, shouting that I'd be back in a minute with a fire engine.

Edit: Senior officers can take their own vehicle if they are on call but not at work. They are also allowed a single blue light and siren. They are all full-time employees of the service, though.

There are a number of radios carried in the appliance: one each for the B.A. team, one for E.C.O., one for the O.I.C. and obviously on-board radio equiment for the driver/pump operator. The only guy who doesn't get one is the sixth crew member who is basically a gopher.
    Last edited by Privateer; 03-05-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at?
    Vermont

Are you urban or rural?
    Urban - population ~ 7,239, first due area of 1.5 square miles.

In the neighborhood of 400/yr.

We are budgeted for 26 members, currently down to 19.

No EMS aside from the occasional lift assist when requested.

What are your requirements for your dept?
    Must be at least 18 years of age, complete a basic firefighter's course within one year of acceptance, maintain positive call response(no hard requirement), attend all department training nights.

100% home response.

In Vermont we can run red/white and sirens in our POVs. Must have a light permit carried in vehicle signed by the chief, subject to disciplinary action if abused.

Every Wednesday.

Everyone responds to the station to staff the apparatus, with the exception of the Chief and Deputy Chief who go direct.

Officers are issued take-home radios. All apparatus have enough radios for everyone to have one on-scene.
    Last edited by KarnaughAtlas; 03-11-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member

Where is your Dept at?

-Central Oklahoma (NE Oklahoma County)

Are you urban or rural?

-Small town/rural: Primary response area encompasses 50.3 square miles (7.3 city and 43 county), and includes Historic Route 66, I-44, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Line, and the Deep Fork River.

-Around 325 per year, but steadily increasing. We also respond on the county Wildland Task Force statewide, and to major events such as tornado strikes. In county, we have a system set up for wildland response known as "War Day", which is activated depending on fire weather conditions. This automatically respond the closest two fire departments on any wildland call.

-Non transport, BLS with individual protocols.

What are your requirements for your dept? (ie how many call have to be made, what tanning level you have to be at)

-No set call number to maintain. Supposed to achieve Structural Firefighter, FF1, or EMT within first year.

-Station is not staffed, but there are folks there quite often, even at night.

-No, per Oklahoma state law.

-No "official" training in-house, but we make a lot of training statewide at individual classes and training events.

-Depends on call type and location. Those of us who are EMT or higher are allowed to respond POV as long as (a)we have our own complete kit including O2, and (b)as long as either a unit or POV equipped with an AED is en-route. Fire calls we generally respond to the station except when directed to respond to scene.

-All members have handheld VHF radios. Additionally, some members are either assigned or have purchased their own 800mhz handhelds as well, and a few have UHF and/or 700mhz capability in addition. There are several of us in the Dept that are COMT and/or COML certified, as well as a couple of Amateur Radio Operators, so we have a bit of personal COMM equipment, including mobile radios in our POVs. We also receive call info via text.

Forum Member

Rural Missouri

Rural

22ish fires per year (no reliable statistics available to me)

16 Firefighters (counting officers, juniors, cadets etc, drivers only)

We do EMS at the first responder (EMR) level

No response/participation/attendance/trainingrequirements whatsoever

Home Response

Yeah, almost everyone has lights and most have sirens, some are a little over-enthusiastic with them.

Meetings every other week, training occasionally at the meetings

Depends, we have more firefighters than seats on the trucks so some have to respond POV

Everyone gets a portable radio to carry, its the only way of hearing the tones as we don't have pagers.

Thread Information