Forum Member

Default Davits for confined space

Have any of you used a Davit for confined space work? If so, when would a davit be a better choice than a tripod?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelXYZ View Post
    Have any of you used a Davit for confined space work? If so, when would a davit be a better choice than a tripod?
    I invented a davit arm for maritime operations, primarily for barges but it also works well on some ships and industrial confined spaces. It clamps under the coaming wall of the barge and I use it for rescue and fall protection in the rakes, box ends and wing tanks. In industrial applications it clamps under the mid-rail of a hand rail system. Just have to be sure the hand rail is not a removable type or setting the davit arm will lift the railing out of it's slot.

I'll see if I can get a picture of it uploaded this week.

Mike Dunn

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Davit Arm

Quote Originally Posted by rsqman View Post
    I'll see if I can get a picture of it uploaded this week.
    Name:  Davit Arm2.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  21.1 KB
    Mike Dunn
    It has a sliding v-shaped collar that locks under the coaming wall then pins in place. The screw feet are then used to lock the entire davit in place. The top arm swivels 180 degrees.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

When would a davit be a better choice than a tripod?
    I guess I must have skipped over the original question about choices. Sorry about that.

Ok, for reasons of one over the other:

#1 - the davit arm is lighter than most tripods which can be pretty important when you have to carry it and hoist it on top of a confined space vessel.

#2 - If you adjust the sliding v-collar properly it balances the davit just right and carries easily with one person using one hand. A tripod is often carried awkwardly on your shoulder and a 2-person tripod like I have can easily weigh 55 pounds and may need 2 people to carry it.

#3 - Vessel top working areas are frequently small and congested with air lines, electric cords, ventilation fans and ductwork, conduit and more. A tripod can be difficult to position over the opening into the vessel. With one of the vessels we have made rescue standby jobs on (a molecular sieve), once the tripod has been wrestled into place and tied down, at least one rescuer has to tie off on the outside of the handrail system because there isn't enough room for the workers and rescuers. The davit arm takes up a lot less space than the tripod.s

#4 - This particular vessel has a twin sitting 10 feet away from it and if they are making entry into one, they usually make entry into both. That means set up, stand by, tear down, lower everything to the ground and set it all up again on the next vessel.....with a 2-man rescue team. The lighter davit arm is much preferred over the heavy tripod. As long as the opening into the vessel is withing reach of the davit arm it works great. If it isn't then we are back to using the tripod again.

#5 - The davit can also be used as an AHD for high angle rescue operations such as lowering a patient to the ground by basket litter or other device. I can rotate the locking v-sleeve 180 degrees so the arm extends out over the handrail and I normally lash it to whichever handrail I'm not locked in to for additional security although we have been unable to move it when pulling 90 perpendicular to the top arm with a 5:1 block and tackle with a 3-man haul team during our testing of it. For example, if I lock the v-collar into the mid rail I lash the davit to the top rail and vice versa.

#6 -The davit is a fixed length and it can be a challenge trying to get a basket, SKED, Reeves Sleeve, etc., through a vertical opening. I can raise my 2-man tripod up to 11 feet, assuming I have enough room, making the lift much easier.

Which one is best? A proper size up and confined space rescue pre-plan will tell you that. They each have advantages and disadvantages. Hope that helps.

Mike

Forum Member

Thanks, really good explanation. I asked because I saw one being used at a construction site. It looked sorta like this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

It looked sorta like this one.
    Yep. I had something similar for years when I taught for the state academy. It was originally invented by a Canadian company called Uni-Hoist. They made a lot of very innovative products for confined space rescue and built our original maritime davit arm. They got bought out years ago by Vallen Corp., who then sold it again after a couple of years and so on, so I have no idea who builds them now.

Mike
    Last edited by rsqman; 03-01-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: accidentally hit post button.

Forum Member

DBI-Sala makes them too.

Forum Member

I've used the DBI-Sala side and top mount davits, there's lots of optional parts to extend reach, height, add a second winch, mountiing options etc. certainly not for emergency set up as theres a few pieces to put together, you'd want to have it installed ahead of time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    I've used the DBI-Sala side and top mount davits, there's lots of optional parts to extend reach, height, add a second winch, mountiing options etc. certainly not for emergency set up as theres a few pieces to put together, you'd want to have it installed ahead of time!
    If you are using it on a rescue standby job the contractors doing the work inside the vessel frequently get all antsy about the length of time it takes you to set up for rescue. Just remember....No One enters the vessel until the rescue team is ready to rescue and if that takes 45 minutes or more then so be it. I have done way too many standby jobs in big name facilities where their motto was "Safety is our #1 Priority".....unless it interferes with production. It is especially important to be set up before entry if working with a small rescue team. A 2 or 3 person team is not uncommon.

Mike

Thread Information