Forum Member

Default Questions about joining fire dept as "Paid on call"

More or less i've always wanted to join the fire dept. as a vollie so that i may help people. Here recently i got in touch with our local station and they informed me they weren't hiring, however that was a couple of months ago. Yesterday while i was at my father's house they got ahold of me and said this: "We just opened an Recruit enrollment period if your still interested...this would be the time to apply!" So i just wanted to know what to expect. Obviously there will most likely be a drug **** test, and the physical test (Kind of looking forward to it actually) Now i know they poly for career, but would they poly for this? I read over the application thoroughly and so far they only ask to consent to a full background test. Any tips or advice on this matter would be helpful.

~Lane~

Forum Member

more than likely you will go through the same process as a full time employee

do they have a web site with any info??

Do you know anyone on the dept you can ask

Forum Member

Was trying to get ahold of a buddy that's a vollie (Haven't heard back from him), but my town is odd, we have two COMPLETELY separate fire departments under a mile from each other that belong to two different towns (weird i know..) And no they don't have an official site, they have a Facebook they use to advertise when they're hiring or looking for vollies, but they don't have any information on it about joining. It's rather strange i was hoping they'd give me a bit more information when i picked up the app.

Here's what they posted shortly after contacting me:
    "The Benton Fire Department is opening up a Paid-on-Call Recruitment period starting today! We are looking to add multiple recruits to our roster and starting a new recruit training group in the Spring! If you are enthusiastic, eager to learn, and want to be part of one of the most elite groups, then visit the Benton Fire Station and pick up an application! We will be accepting applications for this Recruit class until March 28, 2014!

If you have any questions, please contact the BFD Facebook page or the Benton Fire Station!"
    Last edited by SavageNerdz; 02-25-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

It's going to vary by department. Obviously it will be best to find out from the department you are trying to join.

My department is sort of a POC- we get a monthly stipend based on our attendance at meetings/trainings and calls. The stipend is based on our qualifications; basically the more certs you have the higher the stipend. For our department, there is an application and a background check. That's it. As long as nothing comes up in the background check and the chief doesn't find some other reason you shouldn't be on the department then you can join.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post
    It's going to vary by department. Obviously it will be best to find out from the department you are trying to join.

My department is sort of a POC- we get a monthly stipend based on our attendance at meetings/trainings and calls. The stipend is based on our qualifications; basically the more certs you have the higher the stipend. For our department, there is an application and a background check. That's it. As long as nothing comes up in the background check and the chief doesn't find some other reason you shouldn't be on the department then you can join.
    Just sent them like half an essays worth of questions regarding it since they didn't list much information. I'll keep everyone updated as to what i find out.

Thread Information