Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Local union on the news complaining about storm preps...

Forum Member

Default Local union on the news complaining about storm preps...

The local union (they are the only one around here) has been all over the news lately voicing their opinions about how the Augusta Fire Departments wasn't prepared for the ice storm last week. Major gripes? No provided food, water, transportation and generators running out of fuel.

As most of you know the storm was a major event. Crippled the local infrastructure. Admin. news conference took full credit for the fuel issue. But when did it become the department's responsibility to provide food and water? We knew the storm was coming. Days ahead. Not to mention the community itself was in much worse shape than most of these guys were.

Thoughts?

Original union rep interview: http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/S...247145891.html

Admin response: http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/F...247151641.html
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Sounds like they need some cheese to go with their whine.

It's not like they didn't have warning that the storms were approaching for several days.

Forum Member

Was wondering if the FD is responsible for supplying diapers for it's members as well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

the 'entitlement" mentality is spreading
    ?

Forum Member

Both sides share culpability for this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I guess im missing something -first , the propane, we always checked our tanks weekly and never let them below 75% - as far as getting iced in at home, I usually went in early if a bad ice storm was called for. And if your relief didn't show, you stayed until he did. And lack of water? were the pipes frozen in the station? We have a standpipe to fill the engine in the bay, plus a plug outside. Cant believe those were frozen. We beat the drum of emergency preparedness, shouldn't we set the example ?
    ?

Forum Member

Finding a way into work - Personal responsibility.

Bringing in extra food because of the forecast severe weather - Personal responsibility.

Having bottled water - Personal responsibility.

And even checking on the propane levels for the generator when bad weather is forecast comes down the crews checking that as well.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Finding a way into work - Personal responsibility.

Bringing in extra food because of the forecast severe weather - Personal responsibility.

Having bottled water - Personal responsibility.

And even checking on the propane levels for the generator when bad weather is forecast comes down the crews checking that as well.
    Pretty much. Admin. took credit for what was their fault. The guys who are complaining pretty much take no responsibility what so ever.

This "union" is never in the media for something positive. Only when they have something to complain about. They pride themselves in "running off" a previous chief and most aren't happy with the one they have now.

I read a comment where someone actually referred to what happened during the storm as an injustice to the guys on the trucks. I laughed.

What they can't grasp is the public sees firefighters on the news complaining about things that everyone went through at the time and relates that to ALL firefighters.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

A question for GTRider245...

Did the Department hold over extra personnel to deal with the storm?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It's funny to me. We have had more snow this year than in many years and stretches of sub-zero, with windchills hitting greater than 50 below zero. We call it winter.

On the bright side we don't have hurricanes or volcanoes.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We've had more snow this year than in many many years. We've had hurricanes too.

We've learned to be pretty self-reliant as far as food/water/gas needs.
    Trkco1 likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

While an ice storm may be rare for those folks down in grits & gravy land::

It's just another day in the neighborhood for many of the rest of us.

My thoughts go back 5 decades to the scout motto ::: BE PREPARED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    While an ice storm may be rare for those folks down in grits & gravy land::

It's just another day in the neighborhood for many of the rest of us.

My thoughts go back 5 decades to the scout motto ::: BE PREPARED
    Our preps at my old career job included, topping off the fuel in the rigs, and eating early if we expected a rush hour time storm.

As for the generators for the stations they are all diesel and they are checked for operation, fluid levels and fuel every Saturday. So if we ran out of fuel it would be OUR fault no one elses.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Our preps at my old career job included, topping off the fuel in the rigs, and eating early if we expected a rush hour time storm.

As for the generators for the stations they are all diesel and they are checked for operation, fluid levels and fuel every Saturday. So if we ran out of fuel it would be OUR fault no one elses.
    And we drug out/inspected the tire chains, made sure we had plenty of ice melt, extra scoop shovel on the engine , on and on. Also many times we double staffed the "house on the hill". When I reported for duty , I always brought plenty of snacks and canned soup. You generally have plenty of advance warning.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    And we drug out/inspected the tire chains, made sure we had plenty of ice melt, extra scoop shovel on the engine , on and on. Also many times we double staffed the "house on the hill". When I reported for duty , I always brought plenty of snacks and canned soup. You generally have plenty of advance warning.
    Never used tire chains, all winter we carried slat on the rigs, and we always had shovels on board for digging out hydrants. Never double staffed. I always had a couple days worth of canned food in my locker, as well as extra uniforms.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    the propane, we always checked our tanks weekly and never let them below 75%
    Not to get too far off the topic at hand, but I'm guessing (hoping) that your generators were something other than propane powered? Otherwise I get the feeling that the propane company hated it when you called since "full" on a propane tank is 80%...

We don't do anything special here for storms, but then again, storms aren't all that special. Yeah, we'll get the chainsaws out and make sure they work properly if we are expecting a hurricane to push over this far or an ice storm to come through, but otherwise, meh.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post
    Not to get too far off the topic at hand, but I'm guessing (hoping) that your generators were something other than propane powered? Otherwise I get the feeling that the propane company hated it when you called since "full" on a propane tank is 80%...

We don't do anything special here for storms, but then again, storms aren't all that special. Yeah, we'll get the chainsaws out and make sure they work properly if we are expecting a hurricane to push over this far or an ice storm to come through, but otherwise, meh.
    Actually, having once sold propane and propane accessories, a tank is full in the winter at 85% and 80% in warmer weather. They still do that because I just had my 500 gallon tank filled today and they went to 85%.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

FyredUp are you Hank Hill?

The firefighters, the administration and the local government were all just not ready for this. If it were a hurricane they more than likely have a plan. For the 100-year cold weather I doubt it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post

we never requested a "special trip" but to my knowledge they never complained about SELLING us something.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post

The firefighters, the administration and the local government were all just not ready for this. If it were a hurricane they more than likely have a plan. For the 100-year cold weather I doubt it.
    And yet we (the emergency services) preach preparedness. Far to much "do as I say, not as I do"
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

On gensets - None of ours are permanent mount. The one for the station is gas, and the one for our banquet hall (which serves as a shelter as needed) is Diesel. The town highway folks are prepared to refuel as needed (we still pay the bill). The genset on the light rescue is also gas. In the case of the station and the hall, we've got to haul them out and hook them up, but neither is difficult to do.

Many folks around here got gensets after the big ice storm in 1998. How many get tested/exercised on a regular basis is up for guesses. Occasionally we'll hear a call for someone on oxygen who doesn't have enough reserves and needs power for their equipment, but not often.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

ours are hard wired with an automatic change over switch - they also self test once a week. propane powered -(they are actually dual propane/natural gas)- We opted for propane because once during a major ice storm in the Southern part of the state , they lost natural gas service due to a major loss of power.
    ?

Forum Member

Curious if "The Union" consisted of actual fire fighters or was all the ranting done by Union Officials only and not sworn personnel? May be an important distinction. In my old outfit 40 years ago we had no union at all and even later when we did, if a rank and file fire department employee had spouted off in such a fashion they may have found themselves walking down the road non employed.

It can be dangerous having such division in any fire department. Perhaps the rank and file need to control the union reps? People need to understand that there are certain times when it is best to keep ones public mouth firmly shut. If necessary, make productive comments and corrective action suggestions privately but not as a pubic rant. Very old school here. HB of CJ (old coot)
    Last edited by HBofCJ; 03-06-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: split paragraphs & more gentle
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Forum Member

Anytime that winter weather advisory is issued we have a very specific checklist that is completed.

That includes fueling all trucks to full and keeping them that away, making sure all the extra fuel jugs are full, running and fuel/oiling saws and insuring that all shift members are available for at least 2 hours beyond the scheduled end of the shift for the projected duration of the weather.

We also check and run the station generators.

It's not all that hard and it does come down to holding the shift crews responsible.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Indeed at one point in my life I was in fact, Hank Hill!
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information