+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By firefighter9202
  • 2 Post By Bones42
  • 1 Post By firefighter9202

Thread: ISO and training facilities

Forum Member

Default ISO and training facilities

I have searched forums until I am sick of searching so I apologize if this question has been asked in the past. This is regarding ISO and training buildings. My dept (career) neighbors a larger career dept with a training tower/burn building/etc and we pay an annual fee to use there facilities whenever we like. The training grounds are within 1000 ft of our response area. My question is, would our department get credit for having the buildings? This is not a "regional" training center it's just our two departments. We have recently went through an audit and apparently did not get credit for having the facilities but I have read (not official info) that as long as you have access to said buildings you get credit. I have heard many horror stories regarding auditors being told and shown they have certain equipment and not getting credit where credit was due. The auditor was told and shown training grounds.

Forum Member

I probably have this wrong, but it used to be the drill/training facilities had to be within 10 road miles of your closest district boundary. Also I do not know if you received full credit for this or not, but I think you did. You also had the right to physically question the ISO guy about specifics including substitutions for liquid fuels, night drills, drought conditions, etc.. Hopefully others will clarify this. HB of CJ (old coot)

Forum Member

I went to an ISO and You training workshop in the fall. The presenter told us that they were no longer going to require the training facility to be within 10 miles of your station. He said that they didn't care where you got the training as long as you got it. He kept saying, "we are the new and gentler ISO". I don't know how many in the room really believed him though. There were about 100 Fire Chief, mostly paid.

Below I have cut and pasted from the new FSRS that goes into effect July 1. Disclaimer: The cut and paste would not copy the formulas out of the FSRS. You can go to www.isomitigation.com to get a copy of the new FSRS.

A. Training Facilities and Use (T1):
    Training conducted at a live fire training facility.
    Up to............................ .............................. .............................. .............................. 35 points
    1. Facilities (FA): Maximum Points
    Live fire training structure including smoke room 17
    Drill tower at least 3 stories in height 10
    Training area at least 2.0 acres in size 8
    Maximum (FA) = 35
    2. Use of Facilities (U):
    For full credit under this item, each member of the department should attend
    18 hours of training at the facilities credited in Section 580A1.

Multiply the points credit for facilities (FA) by the factor (U) for use of the facilities by
    all company members:
    Maximum 18 hours per member;
    (U) = number of hours per member ų 18
    Maximum for factor (U) =1.00
    Training at the facilities credited in this section must be in accordance with the
    general criteria of NFPA 1403, Standard on Live Fire Training Evolutions and NFPA
    1410, Standard on Training for Initial Emergency Scene Operations

B. Company Training Program (T2):
    Company training at fire stations including training using streets, buildings, and open
    areas, 16 hours per company member per month.
    Up to………………………….…………………………………………… ……………25 points
    Firefighter training should be in accordance with the general criteria of NFPA 1001,
    Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications.
    Calculate the points for company training (T2) as follows
    Limit credit for company training hours to 16 hours per member per month.

Chris
    HBofCJ likes this.

You have the right (and responsibility) to question the ISO evaluation when it's submitted to your jurisdiction. The evaluation is done by people and sometimes people make mistakes....even ISO acknowledges that.

Shouldn't take more than a couple phone calls to get it corrected.
    CaptOldTimer and HBofCJ like this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I got an email from ISO on Friday, Feb 28 stating that the new FSRS that I quoted above goes into effect July 1, 2014. If the OP was just rated they were using the old FSRS that stated that the Training Facility had to be within 10 miles.

Under the new FSRS they have removed the mileage limitation.
    HBofCJ likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. Trying to get our detailed report from ISO. I'll post when I find out something. I did find out we received 0 out of the 35 points available but that there is a formula for having the proper training grounds and use of the facilities.

Thread Information