Forum Member

Default Some FDNY questions

Hi guys,

Not sure this is the right section for this, but after reading through them this seemed like the best place. Just some things that sparked my curiosity.

First, I noticed that FDNY does not have pockets on their bunker pants. Occasionally I have seen guys from SOC with them but 99% of what I see is no pockets. Why is this? I would think with all of the survival training nowadays (especially from nyc guys) that pants pockets would be almost mandatory.

Second, I have seen a significant decrease in the number of leather helmets worn in the city. Is this because of economic reasons, or did the city ban them?

Lastly, I have recently seen many probies wearing gear with what looks like the old fashioned reflective tape rather than the yellow/silver/yellow. Is this a probie thing or is the department going back to the old style reflective tape?

Not that I don't trust anyone else, but if anyone from FDNY has any answers to my questions, it would be great to hear it straight from the horses mouth. But all responses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Never really paid attention to the pockets situation, cannot comment on that.

Leather helmets are being phased out as all PPE will be replaced when it reaches the NFPA established 10-year life limit. FDNY will no longer purchase leather due to the cost.

Stripes- I have heard that changes as often as the wind direction, just depends on who is supplying the material to the manufacturer. Specs state "there shall be X amount of reflective material."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Yeah they have no pants pockets and I have noticed that their newer pants don't even have removable knee pads where lots of guys store webbing and rope. Is it maybe an option or is it gone altogether? Seems kind of odd.

As for the helmets, are guys still allowed to purchase their own leather helmets or is it strictly department issue?

Any FDNY guys wanna chime in on new gear and any rules about PPE?

Forum Member

Helmets may not be purchased. You will wear what is issued to you and you will like it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Helmets may not be purchased. You will wear what is issued to you and you will like it.

Sounds reasonable to me. It should be like that in all departments. Wear what is issued!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information