Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

[QUOTEThat being said, I was told yesterday by a contact that we may actually get a letter from the county via snail mail in the next week or two that has an official job offer contingent upon successful completion of a medical screening. Y'all keep the faith![/QUOTE]

That is interesting and provides some hope. If true, I wander why they would contact some over email and send out some via snail mail. I know that none of my references have been contacted and I would expect the county to start there to see if I'm actually worth a damn. Until that happens, I don't expect good news on my end.

Forum Member

NGU, when did you take the PAT and interview? Where you apart of the first group or that second group in July?

Forum Member

I wouldn't worry about your references. It seems like a lot of places really don't get all that into references anymore. Honestly, when is the last time someone's reference actually gave anything other than a great review? That is why you choose them as a reference to begin with.

Forum Member

I tested on the first day of the PAT and interviewed that next day which was Friday. I was part of the first group.

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember signing my back ground release form minutes after my PAT, I walked in to the office, signed the from and interviewd the next day. So I'm wondering if times had something to do with it. I got a sub 6 minute on my PAT. Did anyone else sign after their PAT?

Forum Member

My PAT time was under 5:45. Thats a possibility. You never know. But I don't think they are doing background checks based on alphabetical order. Its no logic behind that and that costs money. No employer is just going to pay for 700 plus background checks. Everything in this process takes money and with personnel you may have overtime some may be earning comp time.

Forum Member

I had a 6:02 PAT and vaguely remember signing something but dont remember. That was the Monday afternoon group back in May. I really don't know what they are looking for. I brought copies of all my certs to my interview. A chief on my interview panel said they don't matter at all bc you will be trained on everything. Most time and interest on their part seemed to focus on my experience as a firefighter. They wrote down every single bit of info I supplied and asked a few follow up questions as well.

Forum Member

I agree with NGU about the alphabetical order thing. I doubt 700 people took the PAT. In fact, I don't think anywhere near that number took the PAT. Didn't 700 sit for the written? Does anyone on hear have any friends that have heard anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with NGU, 700 back ground checks would be unnecessary if they are planning on hiring 100 people. I was in the first group to test. If they had 5 days of Pat's at 50 people a day that is roughly 250 and that might be about the right ratio to interview.

Forum Member

I agree with you, but one individual on this board is reporting his references were contacted. If they contacted his references then I think the same will be done for every other candidate.

Forum Member

Does somebody here know someone with in the department, if so, was their hiring process similar to ours? I dont know whether to look in the mail for a job offer or if their going to email the job offer, hopefully there will be a job offer. Praying this is our last week of waiting.

Forum Member

I spoke to soon, did anyone else get a phone call today from Mr Davis?

Forum Member

I spoke with him on Thursday. Was it about your Background, MVR and the email he sent?

Forum Member

That is exactly what we talked about! Anyone else get a call?
    Last edited by C_K_W; 06-23-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Forum Member

All quiet on my front unfortunately.

Forum Member

NGU, CKW, did y'all get actual job offers?

Forum Member

It was not a job offer. They called it the next step in the hiring process. They send you a link to initiate your background as well as send you something to have signed authorizing them to look up your MVR. They said it takes 7 to 10 days for the background to come back and if everything comes back good then you would go in for a physical and finger prints.

Forum Member

Congrats guys. As long as you are clean and honest, you guys should feel good. Anyone else contacted today?

MembersZone Subscriber

Unknown on how they do it now, but when I got hired the last two steps were as follows:

-Physical
    -Job offer via snail mail.

Be patient fellas...it's the government at work here.

Forum Member

ffhh74, how long after you filled out your background and MVR information did it take to get a call back?

Forum Member

So out of all the folks on the thread only two so far? Anyone have an opinion if this round of backgrounds is for the first class only?

Forum Member

I got a call stating that background authorization forms need to be completed. They told me not to call and that this process takes 7 to 10 days but will take longer b/c of the volume of candidates. HR stated that no academy date has been scheduled.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I got a call stating that background authorization forms need to be completed. They told me not to call and that this process takes 7 to 10 days but will take longer b/c of the volume of candidates. HR stated that no academy date has been scheduled.
    So I guess I'm the only one who hasn't been called. Lol. Yay me. When did you hear from them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafiremedic View Post
    So I guess I'm the only one who hasn't been called. Lol. Yay me. When did you hear from them?
    Got a call from Mr. Brian today as well regarding background and MVR. I could hardly contain my excitement and giddyness! So stoked!

Y'all keep your phones close by. You may be gettin a call tomorrow or Friday. Keep the faith!
    C_K_W likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    Got a call from Mr. Brian today as well regarding background and MVR. I could hardly contain my excitement and giddyness! So stoked!

Y'all keep your phones close by. You may be gettin a call tomorrow or Friday. Keep the faith!
    Congrats brother. Trust me I'm on the edge of my freakin seat.

Thread Information