Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

That is interesting news and I probably was expected. Has your friend heard anything in regards to a starting date for either class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    That is interesting news and I probably was expected. Has your friend heard anything in regards to a starting date for either class?
    Na. He just said Fall for uncertified.

Forum Member

Thanks. I wander if the uncertified candidates like me will get offers here with the first class or if they will go out in the fall.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafiremedic View Post
    I'm a paramedic. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason or pattern that any of us are gonna figure out.
    I'm with you on this. It seems that there are a variety of backgrounds on here and everyone is on the same phase in the hiring process, or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I wont have to wait till the fall if they decide to bring me on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_K_W View Post
    I'm with you on this. It seems that there are a variety of backgrounds on here and everyone is on the same phase in the hiring process, or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I wont have to wait till the fall if they decide to bring me on.
    Here's what I do know for sure, fire and EMS are broken into two phases per both fire and EMS Capt's from academy, and while they run consecutively they're not necessarily intermingled. Meaning that you do fire first and then EMS or vice versa. Another person at the academy said during the PAT that they thought that the two academy classes would run simultaneously with half doing EMS while the other half did fire and then flip flopping, but they weren't 100%. Suffice it to say there will be folks of all backgrounds, abilities, and certs in however many classes they end up doing. Either way it goes down, we're all on the home stretch, be glad for that and enjoy this little bit of peace before the academy is sorted out and begins. And lastly, I think we're all in for fall or later Academy dates, but that's just my .02.

Forum Member

I haven't had a chance to get on in a while but seeing now that some calls have been made i guess i didn't make the cut. Anyone else not received a call or heard anything else recently?

Forum Member

I've heard nothing since sending in my background/MVR information

Forum Member

Yeah I haven't heard anything either. Emailed hr about application status and still haven't heard anything.

Forum Member

Nothing here either!

Forum Member

Did you get an email about sending in a consent form for background and MVR?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything from the county since the mvr/background phone call, but I did receive a letter last week from one of the major credit bureaus that the background company made an inquiry on my credit report. That means things are movin along, y'all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    I haven't heard anything from the county since the mvr/background phone call, but I did receive a letter last week from one of the major credit bureaus that the background company made an inquiry on my credit report. That means things are movin along, y'all!
    My son got notification that they checked his driving record.
    Last edited by peak85; 07-12-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they have called all the people who they wanted for mvr and background checks at this point of the process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krs44 View Post
    Does anyone know if they have called all the people who they wanted for mvr and background checks at this point of the process?
    It's been two weeks since they called me, I would venture to guess that they have. You can always shoot Mr Davis an email and see.

Forum Member

Anyone lucky enough to get a phone call today?

Forum Member

Don't know if you are referring to those who are in the background phase or not. All silent on my front. Nothing in mail and nothing reported from references. Did you hear something today?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything for some time. "One" of my references got a call a few days after I filled out the background information but he missed the call and when he attempted to call them back no one answered.

Forum Member

We're they ever able to connect? My chief has been out of office and I'm hoping they are able to reach alternative references if necessary. The waiting game is a killer.
    Last edited by FF_America; 07-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member

No they didn't. When he called back the answering machine said to leave a voicemail with who he was and who he was calling in reference to. I hope him calling back is enough. I imagine that all of the backgrounds are completed and HR is consolidating the information, but maybe that's just me being hopeful.

Forum Member

I'm beginning to wander if I wasn't getting ahead of myself about things. I just assumed since I've been through this before that if you get to this point, you get hired. On the other hand, Brian told me that even though the actual process takes just 7 to 10 days, it will take much longer due to the volume of candidates. He stated dont call bc this phase will take a long time. I would just breathe a heck of a lot easier if I knew they atleast started mine.

Forum Member

Ok, so Mr Davis called me today, and said that my background was in and that I had a lien from 2011 showing on my report, and that if I couldn't show that it had been satisfied that I would be removed from the process. He stated that the rest of my bg looked fine and that was my only hold up. It was an easy fix, the lien was handled years ago, and after providing documentation as requested I called to confirm receipt. He said he is behind on emails and will contact when he is caught up to let me know the outcome. I'm only posting to let you guys know that progress is being made, and that they will contact you if they have questions, so sit back and "enjoy" the wait. On another note, I'm hoping that since he said everything else looked good, and I handled this situation promptly, that this means I will be moving on to physical and fingerprints. We shall see.

Forum Member

Does anyone that has been through this process before know if they will send out any letter or email stating that you weren't selected to go any further in the hiring process? Emailed hr a couple of times and haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Forum Member

Thanks for sharing that! Sounds like you got a handle on everything so you should be good. Sounds like he is way behind in emails from what you are reporting and what others on here are saying. Carolina, we got our notifications we were moving on within a day or so of each other so maybe my background check is wrapping up as well even though I haven't gotten anything in mail. Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Thanks for sharing that! Sounds like you got a handle on everything so you should be good. Sounds like he is way behind in emails from what you are reporting and what others on here are saying. Carolina, we got our notifications we were moving on within a day or so of each other so maybe my background check is wrapping up as well even though I haven't gotten anything in mail. Keep us posted and I'll do the same.
    None of my references reported any contact either which is strange, but they could all just be jerking me around, cause that's the kind of personal and professional people I know....

Forum Member

I only had one reference that received a phone call and it was from a job that I worked before entering active duty. None of my military references were contacted. I'm not sure if I understand their method but it's definitely unusual.

Thread Information