Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_K_W View Post
    I only had one reference that received a phone call and it was from a job that I worked before entering active duty. None of my military references were contacted. I'm not sure if I understand their method but it's definitely unusual.
    An didn't I see from another post that you were in military for six years? That's going back quite a ways.

Forum Member

That is correct and now I'm serving as a reservist.

Forum Member

Strange! Well another week has passed (almost). We have to be very very close to getting notification of elimination or drug test.

Forum Member

Did anyone have anything change on there applicant login page? I did not just asking.

Forum Member

Nothing has changed on my page since it allowed me to scheudle my written examination. Anyone think we hear anyting this week?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Nothing has changed on my page since it allowed me to scheudle my written examination. Anyone think we hear anyting this week?
    IDK man. I was hoping someone with experience could shed some light on this. Should we be looking in the mail, our email, or wait for a phone call? I would like to call HR but refuse to since Mr. Davis asked us not to call. Are we going to get a job offer before our fingerprints are taken or afterwards?
    Last edited by C_K_W; 07-21-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Forum Member

I would keep checking mail, email, and keep your phone by you. Keep browsing this board for updates as well. They do have 100 of these to do and if its like any other process, I'm sure several will be eliminated b/c of past issues. However, not one of my references is reporting being contacted and I've not heard a peep which is strange to me. I don't know what qualifies as a "conditional offer" at DCFR. I know there are departments that would have already given us conditional offers pending a successful background, driving, and drug test. I also know departments that hate using the term "conditional" and just offer a final offer. I too was advised not to call so hopefully we can do our best to help each other out on this board. I'm getting very anxious.

Forum Member

Yeah I will continue to do all three. I was told right before my interview by a Dekalb FF that they do take a long time to hire, but he also added that their backgrounds were normally the quickest part. I'm extremely anxious considering that I came off AD to pursue a career as a firefighter. I know it'll work out in Gods plan and I'm extremely thankful for this forum. Hope we hear something soon so we can alleviate this anxiety.

Forum Member

I’m waiting as well to hear something. However, does anyone know what will disqualify you in the background process? There is nothing on the website. I made a post a several weeks back about this and I thought that if you are in within the guidelines of DeKalb PD then we should be fine especially if you have all your certification, way more certifications than they are asking for, EMT, and over 8years experience. Its one thing to be not selected in this first class but to be disqualified from the entire process, honestly someone will have to show me in something in writing at the time we applied for this position . I've worked hard for my certs and staying healthy and physical fit for this career. And to be not given a fair chance because of politics, nepotism and our kids attend to same school. Ive seen it happen over and over. Anyway here it is…

"If your looking for disqualifications for DeKalb fire. Its not really anything stated but most of us have an idea. But you can look on the employment web page and look at the police officer background qualifications and if you meet those requirements you should be OK in the background process I think. No felony convictions, no more than 3 or more misdemeanors in the immediate 5 years that's including DUI, reckless driving, etc. Check it out! And that's for PD and their job solely relies on driving 98% for the job. Most government agencies hire public safety within the same requirements with a few exception's most of the time. No one is perfect and things will happen that's life. We as firefighters especially if the department doesn't do transports likes Gwinnett and Clayton. Can still work as firefighters for that department and not drive. Everybody doesn't need to drive nor does every firefighter wants to be a driver. You can be a great driver and a bad Lt. Or a bad driver and a outstading firefighter or a great training officer. If you get what I'm saying. In large departments with 700 plus...everybody will not getting promoted thats a fact. You have people retire as firefighters, its not about rank but it will always about leadership regardless of rank.

Forum Member

Every department is different obviously but I do recall some of the disqualifications;
    Felony
    More than 10 points on driving record
    DUI less than three years ago (this is the same for most police departments)

Forum Member

I agree with you.

Forum Member

If anyone is "friends" with DCFR on facebook, they recently updated their fleet of apparatus. There are some other good stories and pictures on their FB page as well. They also were featured in a segment on the Today Show.

Forum Member

I heard a rumor from someone in Dekalb that a group has been selected and they are starting the 1st week of August. Once again this is rumor, not sure how true this is. Anyone else hear something along these lines or can confirm true or false.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peak85 View Post
    I heard a rumor from someone in Dekalb that a group has been selected and they are starting the 1st week of August. Once again this is rumor, not sure how true this is. Anyone else hear something along these lines or can confirm true or false.
    I would say that that's just a rumor. According to the statement Mr Davis made when he advised I was moving on to background he stated that sufficient notice would be given so that a sufficient notice could be given to current employers, if he called today that would be 12 days notice. I'm not saying for sure but I doubt they'd only give 12 days to give a notice and get there for the academy. As far as them having a group selected I would say that's probably a safe guess that those that have moved on to the background phase are the aforementioned group. Just a waiting game at this point.
    Last edited by Carolinafiremedic; 07-22-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafiremedic View Post
    I would say that that's just a rumor. According to the statement Mr Davis made when he advised I was moving on to background he stated that sufficient notice would be given so that a sufficient notice could be given to current employers, if he called today that would be 12 days notice. I'm not saying for sure but I doubt they'd only give 12 days to give a notice and get there for the academy. As far as them having a group selected I would say that's probably a safe guess that those that have moved on to the background phase are the aforementioned group. Just a waiting game at this point.
    I would have to agree with you about the short notice and the waiting game, but is it possible that a group might have already been selected that is not chatting in this forum and everyone else might be in line for the next round.

Forum Member

Anything is possible, that doesn't make it likely.

Forum Member

Hmmm well I'm across country so I'm disconnected but this sounds like a far reach. Even the earliest people on this board who were contacted about backgrounds aren't reporting any contact from HR. Plus isn't there a drug screen that comes after backgrounds?

Forum Member

Welcome to the Fire Service! To be honest DCFR wasn't very like really going to hire 100 firefighters this YEAR, and 100 per year for 3 years yeah ok; that was the hook and sink to get a lot of qualified candidates. For a second forget about the slow process of getting hired; think about the COST.. overtime pay for the academy, complete uniforms, turnout gear, EMT, etc...for a candidate without anything is roughly $15,000 per candidate to train with no state retesting and I'm giving you bare minimal. GPSTC (the state fire academy) it will cost any department if they train them for 8 weeks for FFI, OPS..5,175 per candidate and you have to supply your own gear and air pack. Now where would they(you)get turnout gear and air pack if no department was sponsoring you? Yeah they are understaffed, however that budget is the decision maker. If you read my posts from the beginning of this thread, look how things has played out...

Forum Member

I think none of you really have any idea wtf is going on. I've tried not to be negative or anything, but Jesus H Christ. You've all got internet access which leads me to believe that you have a roof over your head, thereby leading me to believe that you're gainfully employed. With that being said your life doesn't depend on this job, so what's the rush? It's the government at work, if you're already working or volunteering with an FD you should know how this whole thing goes. If you've made it to the background unless you've got skeletons in your closet you're pretty much gonna get a job, from what I understood of the conversation with Mr Davis if your background is clean you'll be getting an offer. And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you haven't received any correspondence since the interview there's a pretty good chance you're out. Sorry, I've been there. You'll be ok. If you've got/ had all the answers all along people, then why are you all over this thing fishing for info? Geez we're looking good for a dream job, at a great department, shouldn't we just be enjoying the ride?
    ffhh74 and tonysnow like this.

Forum Member

I can agree with you on something's. Life goes on! But the truth hurts sometimes. Society over the years has adapted this philosophy of everyone wins a trophy for participation, even if you haven't done anything and you suck but its OK your still a winner..A few facts..dcfr has a new fire chief, they have purchased several new fleet of engines, will need NFPA new gear for new recuirts (100 sets) not cheap they may have throwdown gear for crawling around in but for burns without proper gear will not happen, they have not had pay raises in about 8 years, from thier facebook page the last class I saw from their ceremony was 6 or 7 that graduated that was earlier this year buddy, etc...so people are not negative this is a forum to have a discussion to agree or disagree its information. No one in this thread has bash dcfr. Its one thing to say we are accepting applications for the next class but to say 100 will be hired by in of this year that's not even including the possible drop outs doing the aemt alone. And this is a competitive process just because people barely pass the PAT and gets an interview doesn't make you a firefighter..however and sadly that's what the fire service is creating.. Let me ask you all this question if you was coach or owner of a any pro team, what type of players are you looking to recruit is it based on skills of the postion or because he went to D1 school and possible didn't get playing time but he was part of the team? Who do you want backing you up on the Nozzle or son/daughter. Someone who skated through recruit school because they scored high on the entry level test?
    Last edited by Never Give Up; 07-23-2014 at 04:44 AM.

Forum Member

I have no idea what you are talking about, do you? One post you're talking about getting dq due to nepotism, politics, and children attending the same school and now you're talking about the safety of my potential future firefighting children. Your comment about everyone getting a trophy makes no sense to me either. I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope to see you on the training ground, then maybe we can figure out who gets a trophy for showing up and who is the real deal. Till then sleep tight and stay thirsty my friend.

Forum Member

Oh you understand clearly what I'm saying Fire medic, if your a medic...Let me help clear it up. You only picked out certain things I said and those my friend are probably the ones the reflects you in some way. I'm just giving what is all involved of the hiring process not bits and pieces for any department. How can you not understand when people say politics and nepotism in the fire service man please. Its like overweight people make jokes about their own weight because they don't what to deal with the issues to make seem like its OK.

Forum Member

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by Carolinafiremedic; 07-23-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Forum Member

I got an email regarding a pre-employment physical and fingerprinting. Anyone else get any notification?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I got an email regarding a pre-employment physical and fingerprinting. Anyone else get any notification?

That's right. I got one this morning! August 1st at 0900 for the physical.

Thread Information