Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Glad to hear it's for real and not just a rumor. Whatever information you can grab Monday would be greatly appreciated. I'm just curious on how long it'll take to get all of the emails out.

Forum Member

CKW are you cert. emt? Or any firefighter certifications?

Forum Member

I was wondering if we will have to wait utill this round of physicals are done before we move forward. I would certainly hope not but at this point it's a possibility. HSV, don't mean to jump in but figured I'd add that I'm only EMT-B certified, no Fire I. They stated in my interview that I'd have to run through their EMS academy considering they don't offer a bridge course from Basic to Advanced.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hsvfire View Post
    CKW are you cert. emt? Or any firefighter certifications?
    Negative, no certifications here. All I have is a military background.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_K_W View Post
    Negative, no certifications here. All I have is a military background.
    A DCFD Chief told me this am the plan was to start the first class with guys that have certifications so they can go straight to the field and the second class would be uncertified. I am same with no certs. So I hope we all here something soon.

Forum Member

Awesome intel, man. Very, very much appreciated. Fingers crossed we hear something by the end of the week.

Forum Member

Good information, makes me feel a lot better. Did the Chief mention an estimated start date for the uncertified and when we should be expecting an email?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hsvfire View Post
    A DCFD Chief told me this am the plan was to start the first class with guys that have certifications so they can go straight to the field and the second class would be uncertified. I am same with no certs. So I hope we all here something soon.
    Not sure how accurate that is b/c I don't have my EMT- A. That is under the assumption of course that all who are scheduled Monday are in the first class which very well might be wrong.

Forum Member

I Am not sur how accurate it was just passin on the info. He said that was the plan. But he did say hr handles the dates and emails so did not have any info there.

Forum Member

I'm taking HR didn't respond to you're email, or was it someone else that shot them an email?

Forum Member

I think we could hear something by tomorrow, maybe they are working on a weekly schedule with the medical facility. Do you guys think it's just a matter of waiting this out or do you think something else may be going on? I'm trying so hard to stay positive here but man, these nerves are killing me.

Forum Member

Just a heads up, I did receive a call yesterday from HR. They were reviewing my information and I guess somewhere down the road I didn't mark my highest education level. No job offer yet but it's nice to know they are still looking at me. This is all we discussed and it was around 6 oclock last night, which means that they're working late to get through these packets. Good luck guys!

Forum Member

Ckw. Crazy they called me today. Wanted to verify my level education bc my college degree did not show up on my background check. Had to email in some proof. But I could not get any more info about the hiring process.

Forum Member

Out of curiosity, what is everyone wearing Monday? I was thinking jeans and a polo.

Forum Member

hsvfire. Yeah I couldn't get any further information other than "we'll be in touch soon". I guess that'll do for now. Only thing that would make this better is a start date!

FF_America: maybe you'll have some luck come Monday when it comes to figuring out a start date.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is everyone wearing Monday? I was thinking jeans and a polo.
    I'm thinking jeans and polo as well. It's a physical and fingerprints. I think we've already impressed them.

Forum Member

Got my pre-employment email today. I'm scheduled for August the 7th.

Forum Member

Nothing today for me. Hope to hear something in the am. How did it go today for the guys that tested?

Forum Member

Got my pre-employment email today. I'm scheduled for August the 7th.
    Congrats!!

Forum Member

Any updates for those that attended the first physical/fingerprint date today? Any info would be greatly appreciated. How many attended? Any info on further progress?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF80911 View Post
    Any updates for those that attended the first physical/fingerprint date today? Any info would be greatly appreciated. How many attended? Any info on further progress?
    5 attended fingerprints, Physical is very straightforward blood, urine, exam. Was told possible first week of September start for academy, followed with "this is all unconfirmed, so it may or may not be true" No other info to share, they're fairly tight lipped, this is the final step though so it should be soon. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Congrats to the folks who heard back this week. Yeah, to echo what Carolinafiremedic said, it was pretty straightforward. The hardest part of the day was fasting until the physical was over.

I dressed comfortably for the physical (since we had to remove clothing several times) but y'all might want to bring a polo and some dress pants for the fingerprints. Good luck fellers!

Forum Member

Thank you for your information good sir. I hope to join everybody else in the Academy soon. I have been following this thread since the very beginning. I have been trying not to post because of my high anxiety levels. But now the pressure is really on. I've been a firefighter for going on six years now and can't wait to start with Dekalb County fire rescue, seeing that it is my hometown department. Good luck to all indeed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    Congrats to the folks who heard back this week. Yeah, to echo what Carolinafiremedic said, it was pretty straightforward. The hardest part of the day was fasting until the physical was over.

I dressed comfortably for the physical (since we had to remove clothing several times) but y'all might want to bring a polo and some dress pants for the fingerprints. Good luck fellers!
    Thanks for this information. What should I expect when I go and do my fingerprints Thursday?

Forum Member

Thanks for this information. What should I expect when I go and do my fingerprints Thursday?
    You will show up at HQ and you will sign in and let them know you're there for pre-employment fingerprints. After you sign in, you'll be instructed to stand by in the break room. When it's time, someone will come get ya. There's nothin to it, buddy. The folks you'll deal with are super cool and they will put ya at ease. Good luck!

Thread Information