Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Lookin forward to this testing process as well! With 100 recruits being hired this year, I wonder how many academies they will split these folks into. I imagine it will be super competitive too.

DeKalbFF123, just curious who handles auto extrications in the county? Does that fall under Special Ops or do the truck companies perform extrications?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by panic66 View Post
    many reasons….but the most important is that local politicians are attempting (and succeeding ) in closing down my fire dept. 44 well trained fire/emts loosing their job. So….since this fire thing runs in my blood….i seek to continue this incredible career i love so much.
    Pawtucket? Dude, what's happening up in that area is atrocious. Give tax breaks to the local MiLB team but oh no, can't have a full fledge FD, that's too much!

Has anyone heard anything? I applied within the tire frame, just want to get hard dates to see when I should travel.

Forum Member

I got my application in on time.. hopefully we hear some dates soon, cause my local department has applications open till the end of March.. I'd like to test at both, as long as the dates line up correctly

Forum Member

What department is taking applications in your area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sam_daniels View Post
    What department is taking applications in your area?
    Key West, fl

Forum Member

Oh, I saw that listed. Too bad it was for residents only.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sam_daniels View Post
    Oh, I saw that listed. Too bad it was for residents only.
    yea, im not sure theyve ever hired someone from out of town... but lets not sidetrack what this thread is for...

Forum Member

Does anyone know what brand of SCBA Delkalb County wears? I have seen a lot of pictures with drager but have seen pictures of Scott. The pictures of the ones with Scott of mostly been of guys of Company 24. Just wondering about that also.

Forum Member

http://www.commissionerboyer.com/New...afety-Aperatus

according to this, in 2012 they purchased all new SCOTT packs... because of safety issues with drager...

Forum Member

I have been doing some research on Dekalb and some of the things I have found are a little concerning. The recent layoffs, budget problems, freeze on the step pay increases, lack of yearly pay increases and so on. Is there anyone that is familiar with the area or department that can shine some light on this?

Forum Member

Extrication are done by both Truck companies and HR or HZ Mat. 1,000 people have applied, they should get the ball rolling soon. Our department uses Scott airpacks since 2012. There were issues with the counties finances for years, just like most departments. Things are starting to change for the better. We have the only traditional pension left in the metro area, we have a liberty day(Kelly day) every 9th shift, which is also rare around here. A pay raise was just approved for July and they are hiring new recruits again. Our equipment is the best in the area and we fight fire in DeKalb. There is currently still a freeze on the annual raises, but I expect that to return soon. Things are looking better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DekalbFF123 View Post
    Extrication are done by both Truck companies and HR or HZ Mat. 1,000 people have applied, they should get the ball rolling soon. Our department uses Scott airpacks since 2012. There were issues with the counties finances for years, just like most departments. Things are starting to change for the better. We have the only traditional pension left in the metro area, we have a liberty day(Kelly day) every 9th shift, which is also rare around here. A pay raise was just approved for July and they are hiring new recruits again. Our equipment is the best in the area and we fight fire in DeKalb. There is currently still a freeze on the annual raises, but I expect that to return soon. Things are looking better.
    Thanks again for answering my questions, sir! I'm sure they keep y'all busy on those interstates! 1,000 applicants? Whew! Time to bring our A-Game!
    Last edited by tonysnow; 03-16-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Good I'm glad they wear SCOTT! Best air pack out there! 1000 applicants? Yeah, we better bring our A game. What is the written test like? Any study guides out there for the format of it?

Forum Member

DekalbFF123, any info on potential dates for the written exam? month? Thank you.

Forum Member

Is there any preference given for current NREMT-P?

Forum Member

Has anybody heard anything yet?

Forum Member

nothing yet...

Forum Member

Patience, they will have info shortly. As for national registry for paramedic, yes that is a no brainer.

Forum Member

Got my notice today, who's going on Friday?

Forum Member

Carolina...I'm headed to the Saturday morning session. Just confirmed it. I feel very fortunate because I was unable to attend last year so looking forward to this.

MembersZone Subscriber

DekalbFF123 - Looked through old threads about DeKalb County and was wondering how overtime works there. I see there are Kelly days but do you get paid for overtime too or how does that work?

Signed up for Saturday. Long drive since last minute flights from any major nearby airports are pretty expensive.

Forum Member

im confirmed for the friday session

Forum Member

Anyone have any idea how many apps were taken in?

Forum Member

@carolina: DeklabFF mentioned there around 1000 applicants in a post on second page.

Forum Member

Somehow I missed that. That's a fair bit of competition.

Thread Information