Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

yea, but at the same time they're hiring 100. so 1/10 chance, and there will be a good number i would imagine that won't show up for the test

Forum Member

If you're coming in from out of state, it ATL the nearest airport?

Forum Member

Yes Hartsfield Jackson is your closest option. I'm not sure if MARTA goes up to Decatur so you may want to look into that.

Forum Member

How can we really prepare for this test? I have read the study guide and its very general information you would get on any test. Any DeKalb firefighters have some insight on the test?

Forum Member

I am scheduled for Friday.

Forum Member

Never Give Up, I'm curious as to the weight and grading of the personality/ situational questions. The rest of the stuff you can brush up on in any FF Exam book from amazon or B&N.

Forum Member

Over time doesn't exist in DeKalb, Liberty day every 9th shift. MARTA does go to Decatur, but not to our HQ in Tucker.

Forum Member

Don mcnea fire prep has a study guide available for purchase. I think I'm going to purchase the instant download version. This is a completely different version of test I'm used to taking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Don mcnea fire prep has a study guide available for purchase. I think I'm going to purchase the instant download version. This is a completely different version of test I'm used to taking.
    FF_America, are you referring to the CWH test prep download, or is there a specific prep program for DeKalb?

Testing Saturday morning and super excited about this department!

Forum Member

I didn't see one specific to Dekalb as there is for Cleveland, Columbus and other select departments. I downloaded the CWH Test Prep yesterday and it looks very similar to the questions in the pdf provided by HR. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I didn't see one specific to Dekalb as there is for Cleveland, Columbus and other select departments. I downloaded the CWH Test Prep yesterday and it looks very similar to the questions in the pdf provided by HR. Good luck!
    Thanks, brother! I'll check it out.

Forum Member

DekalbFF123, how do they grade the PAT? Is it pass fail, or does your time somehow get weighed in the equation as well?

Forum Member

Default 2 legs-2 hands

If you have 2 legs and 2 hands you will do just fine on the test. It's not hard at all. They give you plenty of time, but im sure when they have to narrow down the hires they may look at times. That's not a determining factor though.

Forum Member

Carolinafiremedic if you are considering working as a firefighter/paramedic for DeKalb Co. you might want to re consider. They do not make any money-as do no firefighter paramedic in GA. If you want to make a livable wage and probably a little extra, you will be better off working for a private service IE AMR. AMR provides the 911 ambulance transport for the county. I like fire too but When im making a base pay of 48k and as a firemedic with dekalb making 39k and some change, why be a FF? No 24 hrs, and plenty of OT. No OT in DeKalb co. at all. Their pension sucks for new employees or anyone who has been there for less than 8 years. They actually do not have the best equipment in the county as one person on here said. Gwinnett and Cobb Co. own that title. The only pro ( and I do mean only) to working DeKalb Co. is fire. Technically that's only if you work in the south.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by soulbrotha#1 View Post
    When im making a base pay of 48k and as a firemedic with dekalb making 39k and some change, why be a FF?
    Why be a FF? Maybe because some people love this profession. Maybe because it is all we've ever wanted to do. Maybe it's because we love the brotherhood of the job. Or maybe it's because we love driving to a fire on a big red fire truck, working our a**es off, and then wanting more the second you leave the scene. I've got the feeling you've never had that feeling with the remarks you are making.

Judging from your comments, you seem like a disgruntled ex employee of this great department. Keep your negativity to yourself and your partners on that AMR ambulance while you tote grandma to the hospital.

Forum Member

I have presented information fairly and openly. You can make more money other places, if that's your goal. Both Cobb and Gwinnett purchased commercial fire trucks in the past, where DeKalb has always had custom units with great specs. The latest engine built by Pierce and is being displayed at FDIC next month. The pension multiplier was lowered around 7 years ago, but this person doesn't state, that we still have the only guaranteed pension in the Metro area. Gwinnett and Cobb have 401K's. Those departments sit at the dinner table watching us work on TV everyday. I don't just dress up, but at DeKalb we fight fire and get to run the calls that you envision you would. Are there better departments, maybe, but I don't regret one day working here. I have pride in the work I do and say, if your up for the challenge, then hopefully we will work together.

MembersZone Subscriber

On a seperate note, PAT's are scheduled for the week of May 5th. Unknown on how many will get the invite.

Forum Member

Soulbrotha, I feel ridiculous even typing that, let me just say a couple of things about your post.
    1. First and foremost, money truly doesn't buy happiness. My base pay at my current employer is 7k more than what you report for AMR, and I'm miserable. I learned early on in my public safety career how to budget and live within my means, trust me the approx $90 a week difference in bring home pay between DeKalb and AMR won't bankrupt me. I also learned at a very early age if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. I think you can understand that, right?
    2. I worked for years for an EMS service that runs 70k calls a year, I've had my paragod fun. Funny thing about paragodding is that there is no brotherhood or sense of family there. Maybe I'm lacking something as a human being, but I miss the camaraderie of the firehouse, and you guys may run from the same station but you can bet your *** you're not their brother, no matter what your forum handle may say.
    3. I don't plan on using the pension plan as a short term savings account and don't know many people who do. The whole point of a pension is to make you hang around, what benefit are you supposed to get from a short term commitment?
    4. OT at DCFR is a non issue, just as much as I love the fire service I don't wanna be there 24/7, I have varied interests and talents. I'm not a one trick pony.
    5. Actually, they DO have the best equipment in the county, seeing as Cobb county and Gwinnett county are in and of themselves counties. They probably have the best equipment in their respective counties as well. Maybe you meant to proofread that, and just didn't get around to it, I don't know.
    Maybe you gave DCFR a shot and it wasn't for you, maybe you didn't. I'll probably never know. But the fact is, maybe it will be a good fit for me.
    Last edited by Carolinafiremedic; 04-01-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how the written test will be weighed? In other words, will it be pass/fail or will a list be established from the highest score to the lowest?

Forum Member

I estimate approx 375 people tested yesterday, any estimates on this mornings session?

MembersZone Subscriber

Written test is from highest score to lowest.

Forum Member

I think about 400-450 tested today. With that type of test I would think it be just pass or fail. A lot of the questions where based on personality, your thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Never Give Up View Post
    I think about 400-450 tested today. With that type of test I would think it be just pass or fail. A lot of the questions where based on personality, your thoughts?
    I'd say its more a reading comprehension and personality test than anything else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffhh74 View Post
    Written test is from highest score to lowest.
    Thank you, sir.

Now comes the waiting game. It"s hard to gauge how well we did on that test until we get our score. Good luck, y'all!

Forum Member

If it is correct that they have already tentatively selected around May 5th for PAT, then I would think the wait won't be all that long. Good luck everyone!

Thread Information