Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

MembersZone Subscriber

I tested in the Friday afternoon session, we had about 250 people.
    Last edited by PDKRACN; 04-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Forum Member

I tested on Saturday. It was hard for me to get an estimate because of the layout of the room. I feel good about it, but it's hard to tell for sure with so many personality- based questions. I was surprised to see so little math and no mechanical on it.

Forum Member

Default test

I took it sat. There had to be 300 people. I didn't understand the test at all, what I took from the test that it was a discrimination based test. Not so sure I want to work for a dept that rather base skills off that than actual knowledge.

Forum Member

From what I heard, there were not as many in attendance for Friday's testing session. I'm assuming work schedules played a role in that as well as travel. Sounds like there were ~ 750 total between the two days. Now its time to train for the physical and hope that I proceed to the next phase.

Forum Member

Can anyone from DCFR comment on how cuts are made? In referencing last years test thread, it looks like they cut it from 750 total applicants to around 160 for the PAT. Of course, there were only 44 positions available for that go around. Any word on how many will advance to the PAT?

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I heard, last year they cut it off at whoever scored 90% and above on the written test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffhh74 View Post
    From what I heard, last year they cut it off at whoever scored 90% and above on the written test.
    Ouch! So, that means we're completely out of the running and will have to retest next year if we didn't score in the 90's?

Forum Member

I hope that test is not graded like that. In my opinion it was a fair test to test our reading comprehension, however it does not validate the material you have to learn in EMT Class and Fire. Meaning the material is giving to you to learn what’s needed in both class settings including all classroom test, many can’t grasp EMT in the very short and fast pasted environment, learning how to read a ERG book, state exams, etc. and don’t forget about the physical aspect of the job there were more than half of the people I saw were completely out of shape. This is a lifestyle; if you’re not willing to take care of yourself how can you take care of your fellow brother and sister; that entry level test score doesn’t measure that. Sadly fire departments hire people who they think is smart based off entry level test scores and the only time he or she has even to begin getting into physical shape is before the CPAT or PAT and they are only push through rookie school to do it because it’s in the process of rookie school; after that it’s over. Way to many poor physical shape firefighters under the age of 27 and under Five years of service. The list goes on and on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Never Give Up View Post
    I hope that test is not graded like that. In my opinion it was a fair test to test our reading comprehension, however it does not validate the material you have to learn in EMT Class and Fire. Meaning the material is giving to you to learn what’s needed in both class settings including all classroom test, many can’t grasp EMT in the very short and fast pasted environment, learning how to read a ERG book, state exams, etc. and don’t forget about the physical aspect of the job there were more than half of the people I saw were completely out of shape. This is a lifestyle; if you’re not willing to take care of yourself how can you take care of your fellow brother and sister; that entry level test score doesn’t measure that. Sadly fire departments hire people who they think is smart based off entry level test scores and the only time he or she has even to begin getting into physical shape is before the CPAT or PAT and they are only push through rookie school to do it because it’s in the process of rookie school; after that it’s over. Way to many poor physical shape firefighters under the age of 27 and under Five years of service. The list goes on and on.

Man i agree with you. Did you apply for Atlanta? Heard that is where its at!

Forum Member

Yes I applied with ATL. I wish departments would have two separate hiring processes for people with no certs and no experience vs. people with certs and experience. We all were candidates with no experience and certs at some point of starting the process of entry level firefighter. They all deserve the opportunity to become firefighters, just selected differently. If you have people that are already has experience with certs. Have a lateral program of some sort; PT, fire training, knowledge of EMT skills to that department’s way of doing things. I’m all for hard nose PT and fire training. They will save thousands of dollars and OT pay. We already have the end result, which is the certification at the end of recruit school. Why waste time, money and man power? I think departments need to really evaluate on how they select new firefighters if you have experience vs. none; firefighting is not for any and everybody who wants to be one.

Forum Member

Yes, the test was BS, but no one has been eliminated yet. Everyone keep your heads up. Assume you are moving on and start training for the PAT. By the way, if you google cwh test scores you can view test scores from other municipalities who post test scores anonymously online. May give you a feel how other groups did around the country.

Forum Member

http://clatl.com/atlanta/why-are-som...t?oid=10887392

Well this explains how their dept is ran...

Yes I applied with ATL. I wish departments would have two separate hiring processes for people with no certs and no experience vs. people with certs and experience. We all were candidates with no experience and certs at some point of starting the process of entry level firefighter. They all deserve the opportunity to become firefighters, just selected differently. If you have people that are already has experience with certs. Have a lateral program of some sort; PT, fire training, knowledge of EMT skills to that department’s way of doing things. I’m all for hard nose PT and fire training. They will save thousands of dollars and OT pay. We already have the end result, which is the certification at the end of recruit school. Why waste time, money and man power? I think departments need to really evaluate on how they select new firefighters if you have experience vs. none; firefighting is not for any and everybody who wants to be one.

MembersZone Subscriber

They were only looking to hire 30-40 people last test. This test is supposed to generate 100, so I seriously doubt the cutoff will be 90%.

Forum Member

Anyone else as impatient as me? I'm jumping at my phone every time my email sounds. Hoping for a good score.

Forum Member

Glad I'm not the only one! Yes, it seems like we should be hearing something although its just been seven business days. If the May 5 timeline is accurate, we should all hear something real soon. I would think next week!

Forum Member

How is Dekalb on swap time? Does Dekalb permit swap time for GPSTC training or allowed to go to other departments and get certs? Do instructors from other departments come in and give classes at Dekalb? Can anyone paint a picture on how Dekalb offers opportunities to firefighters who wants to get classes and training? Not just be one of the employees who wears a T-shirt and does not participate in any training or does not seek any other training beyond what was giving in rookie school…. unless it’s giving to them on shift?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one! Yes, it seems like we should be hearing something although its just been seven business days. If the May 5 timeline is accurate, we should all hear something real soon. I would think next week!
    I was thinking the same thing, even though they said 4-6 weeks until results. Then again they didnt give much notice for the written test, so who knows!

I took the Saturday test and the guy from HR at the written test said there was a little over 700 that actually showed up for the two tests, so the estimates were pretty close.

Forum Member

And does anyone from DeKalb or any department know about the Advance EMT registry test? I'm taken the test next week and was wondering how was the test from your point of view?

Forum Member

NGU you taking the practical or the written?

Forum Member

I'm taking the written. I did my transitional course a month ago.

Forum Member

I got a question for ya, brother. I just upgraded to AEMT through the state I work in. National Registry told me that I had to take a 36 hour AEMT refresher (in addition to my transition course) in order to upgrade my National Registry from EMT to AEMT. Is that what you did or was your transition course enough?

Forum Member

I would expect a fair amount of cardiology and pharmacology questions, along with ALOT of basic level questions. Always remember the basics first and you will be just fine.

Forum Member

Thanks. You mean BLS cardiology?
    Last edited by Never Give Up; 04-17-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    I got a question for ya, brother. I just upgraded to AEMT through the state I work in. National Registry told me that I had to take a 36 hour AEMT refresher (in addition to my transition course) in order to upgrade my National Registry from EMT to AEMT. Is that what you did or was your transition course enough?
    I already had my NREMT and I had to make a choice to take the 36 hour refresher or upgrade to AEMT. I could have waited until my two years was up because I had until 2017 to upgrade to an AEMT if I wanted to keep National Registry. I knew I was going to another department and all the departments in the Atlanta Metro wants new firefighters to have AEMT upon completion of EMT school. So I paid extra for the transition course vs. a refresher class to keep my NREMT knowingly I have to have AEMT if I wanted a job with a new department. Why waste time and money?

I just had to take the transitional course, about a 6 week course. I didn't have to take practical's because I'm NREMT. Did you let you cert lapse?

People forgot that departments only going to give you a certain number of times to pass Registry at the most 3 because after three you have to take another 36 hour refresher before you take it again. A lot of departments are not spending the money for that. You will have to reapply. If you think any department is going to gamble on hiring 100 firefighters and lets for example 50 don't have AEMT or NREMT. Out of those 50, maybe 25 pass NRAEMT. Then their back where they started under staffed, another entry level test, PAT, paying for the training and tests, 25 firefighters cost a lot of money to train. And you have to take and pass EMT B registry first and then take NRAEMT; practical's with both. And you may pass the test but for some it may take them 4 tries vs. someone may pass it in their 1st attempt 2nd or 3rd, but you didn't pass in their time frame. And your out! They tell you that up front, no NRAEMT no Job.

You have to be Proactive

Forum Member

Never Give Up, thanks for the response. Our state is in the process of transitioning from EMT-IV to AEMT....completely different scenario.

No cert lapse here, just transitioning.

Thread Information