+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    Never Give Up, thanks for the response. Our state is in the process of transitioning from EMT-IV to AEMT....completely different scenario.

No cert lapse here, just transitioning.
    You coming from TN?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafiremedic View Post
    You coming from TN?
    Yes sir. Which one of the Carolinas are you from?

Forum Member

Yes sir. Which one of the Carolinas are you from?
    South, the only one that matters. Lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredbear View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, even though they said 4-6 weeks until results. Then again they didnt give much notice for the written test, so who knows!

I took the Saturday test and the guy from HR at the written test said there was a little over 700 that actually showed up for the two tests, so the estimates were pretty close.
    Yes, 700 sounds right in the ballpark. I'm curious as if the county will take the top half for physicals expecting that around 25-30% fail or no show.

Forum Member

Other than passing the test, PAT and general background. What does DeKalb look for in a firefighter? How do they select candidates from others? Other than having the giving FF1, Emt, Haz-A?

Forum Member

NGU, that is a good question. I have heard that Dekalb looks favorably to college degrees.

Forum Member

Education is important for any job, I do have a college degree hope that helps. I asked a few good questions about DeKalb in this forum but no reply's. There may not be any DeKalb firefighters on this thread to reply, I can understand that; however I asked a question about training opportunities and not one firefighter or so called wanna be firefighters responded. For me, if I was trying to get hired on with a department that fight much fire as DeKalb and the call volume that county has; anything about training would spark my interest. I guess if I asked the question how people showed up for the entry level test in a fire department T-shirt of some sort I would get many reply's on how many..ha ha....I willing to bet out of about 700-800 people who tested with DeKalb at least half are on firehouse and read these threads for information and not just for DeKalb.. Two things: Either your an experience firefighter just looking to hire on with DeKalb hoping to fight fire every shift and wear a DeKalb t shirt and don't give a damn about training or your new to the fire service and training as a new firefighter means nothing to your life or the lives of others.

Forum Member

A few reasons you didn't get any responses I'm guessing:
    1) people applying to DCFR probably don't know specifics regarding training frequencies, training allowances, or training opportunities. I'm sure the guys from DCFR will answer your question next time they are on as they've been a great help this far.
    2) people like me don't give a damn about training at the moment because no one has yet advanced in the process and there are still 700 of us eligible. The only training I care about is busting my *** at the training tower prepping for a PAT.

Forum Member

A little distraction from all the anticipation!

https://www.facebook.com/DeKalbCount...type=1&theater
    Last edited by kyle-eads; 04-22-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Forum Member

Thinking we might hear something this week if that May 5 date is accurate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    Thinking we might hear something this week if that May 5 date is accurate
    Hopefully our suspicions are correct, this anticipation sucks to say the least. I don't have all my eggs in one basket, but this is by far my top choice.

Forum Member

I know people have to be calling in even though they said don't. Anybody else here apply to the City of Atl?

Forum Member

I don't know why anyone would call in. It's been thirteen business days. That's really not a lot of time to mail off 700 test forms, have them graded, establish a cutoff, and contact everyone. I know we are all impatient, but I would credit that due to high interest and anxiety as opposed to the county dragging their feet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I don't know why anyone would call in. It's been thirteen business days. That's really not a lot of time to mail off 700 test forms, have them graded, establish a cutoff, and contact everyone. I know we are all impatient, but I would credit that due to high interest and anxiety as opposed to the county dragging their feet.
    The people calling should be d/q as potential employees in my opinion. If you can't follow simple directions then you aren't qualified for this job. There were people who showed up to test with hats on, who were asked numerous times to remove their hats before they entered the building, more than a few never removed them and were still allowed to enter and test, again IMO if you can't follow very simple directions then you don't need to be there. And amazingly there was a guy right in front of me who put his nickname "Cookie" on the application instead of his legal name, there was no way to verify who this person was, and surprisingly he was still allowed to test.

People read what you're posting, if you can't read it aloud and make sense of it you probably shouldn't post it. Some of you posting stuff probably don't need to be thinking too far ahead into the process, with your limited reading comprehension and composition it is unlikely you will be there for any of what you're worried about to even matter Cold hard truth, sorry.
    FF_America likes this.

Forum Member

The people calling should be d/q as potential employees in my opinion. If you can't follow simple directions then you aren't qualified for this job. There were people who showed up to test with hats on, who were asked numerous times to remove their hats before they entered the building, more than a few never removed them and were still allowed to enter and test, again IMO if you can't follow very simple directions then you don't need to be there. And amazingly there was a guy right in front of me who put his nickname "Cookie" on the application instead of his legal name, there was no way to verify who this person was, and surprisingly he was still allowed to test.

People read what you're posting, if you can't read it aloud and make sense of it you probably shouldn't post it. Some of you posting stuff probably don't need to be thinking too far ahead into the process, with your limited reading comprehension and composition it is unlikely you will be there for any of what you're worried about to even matter Cold hard truth, sorry.
    Watch out folks we have a scholar on our hands....

Forum Member

Never claimed to be a scholar, but I can read and follow directions which are two of the attributes that the test was designed to assess.

Forum Member

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Who thinks we might hear something this week?

Forum Member

Check your inbox!!

Forum Member

anyone else having trouble scheduling? There is no self-schedule link.

Forum Member

Got mine!! Haven't tried to schedule yet, will let you know how it goes FFA.

Forum Member

Got mine!! Haven't tried to schedule yet, will let you know how it goes FFA.
    Guess we need to call, no way to schedule on my end either.

Forum Member

Guess we need to call, no way to schedule on my end either.
    Same here, fellers. Got my invite, but unable to schedule.

Forum Member

Same here, fellers. Got my invite, but unable to schedule.
    It's straightened out now. So who's going when?

Forum Member

Got in, I'll be heading down there on the 12th. Coming from Washington State so it's a bit of a scramble to get down there but happy as hell to do it! Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Forum Member

The PAT is referenced in some of the previous Dekalb threads. Does anyone know if it is the same PAT as in previous years?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information