Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Anyone else hearing anything from their references? Mine are reporting nothing, and HR has not returned my email yet.

Forum Member

Nope, the last email said don't call before the 30th so it has to be pretty soon.

Forum Member

I emailed HR asking about an unofficial start date and nothing to do with the application status, I have yet to hear anything. Did DCFR mention anything about which class they would start first, already certified or rookies?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlcowboys5 View Post
    Nope, the last email said don't call before the 30th so it has to be pretty soon.
    The last email I got said the 16th. So who knows what information is correct.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafiremedic View Post
    The last email I got said the 16th. So who knows what information is correct.
    I received that email as well. They sent an updated one stating that if you pass the PAT and interview would be scheduled the following business day. In that email it stated the 30th. Btw is there any Veterans in here that submitted their DD214? I brought mine to the interview but DCFR never officially asked for one.

Forum Member

I received an email from Mr. Davis today about my MVR and background check for release of authorization for me to sign.

Forum Member

Interesting about that email stating the 30th. I wander if all selections will be made by then or if just selections for the first class will be made by then? I would feel real good if I was contacted by HR asking for background check release and I had nothing to hide.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Never Give Up View Post
    I received an email from Mr. Davis today about my MVR and background check for release of authorization for me to sign.
    NGU,
    Just curious what letter does your last name begin with?

Forum Member

B. Why? What's yours?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Never Give Up View Post
    B. Why? What's yours?
    Cool maybe they haven't made it to H yet.

Forum Member

T. Wondering if they're going alphabetical order.

Forum Member

I don't see why they couldn't send out 100+ emails in one day asking for a background authorization. Which comes first, the reference check or the email regarding background/driving?

By the way, check your spam folders everyone. Mine has nothing in it, but yours might.
    Last edited by FF_America; 06-19-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't send out 100+ emails in one day asking for a background authorization. Which comes first, the reference check or the email regarding background/driving?
    I'm sure they probably did and the rest of us are all holding out hope.

Forum Member

You right. Good luck to the ones who made it!

Forum Member

It may certainly be a possibility. No disputing there. But don't you find it odd that with slightly less than 50/50 odds more people from this board didn't make it? There seemed to be some extremely qualfied people here including myself. And it is a strong possibility that the only people that were contacted are for this first class. Thats what I gather from previous Dekalb hiring threads.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF_America View Post
    It may certainly be a possibility. No disputing there. But don't you find it odd that with slightly less than 50/50 odds more people from this board didn't make it? There seemed to be some extremely qualfied people here including myself. And it is a strong possibility that the only people that were contacted are for this first class. Thats what I gather from previous Dekalb hiring threads.
    I'm pretty highly qualified as well. And I do find it odd that more people haven't been contacted. But I also know that the odds probably weren't actually 50/50. I'm guessing 1 in 3. They just tested and interviewed who knows how many extra people last week. I'm not saying anything for sure, just saying what could probably be the case. Trust me I'm still anxious as a school girl over here, and will be until I either get an offer, or both classes start without me.

Forum Member

If your looking for disqualifications for DeKalb fire. Its not really anything stated but most of us have an idea. But you can look on the employment web page and look at the police officer background qualifications and if you meet those requirements you should be OK in the background process I think. No felony convictions, no more than 3 or more misdemeanors in the immediate 5 years that's including DUI, reckless driving, etc. Check it out! And that's for PD and their job solely relies on driving 98% for the job. Most government agencies hire public safety within the same requirements with a few exception's most of the time. No one is perfect and things will happen that's life. We as firefighters especially if the department doesn't do transports likes Gwinnett and Clayton. Can still work as firefighters for that department and not drive. Everybody doesn't need to drive nor does every firefighter wants to be a driver. You can be a great driver and a bad Lt. Or a bad driver and a outstading firefighter or a great training officer. If you get what I'm saying. In large departments with 700 plus...everybody will not getting promoted thats a fact. You have people retire as firefighters, its not about rank but it will always about leadership regardless of rank.

Forum Member

I turned in my DD214 the same day i took the PAT.
    Last edited by C_K_W; 06-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Forum Member

FF_America; I'm right there with you. I dont have any certifications that are relevant to fire rescue, but I do have over 6 years in the military with 4 of them being in a leadership position. I also did pretty well on the PAT and felt like my interview went great, better than I could of imagined, so it makes me think that they are going in alphabetical order, or at least i hope.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_K_W View Post
    FF_America; I'm right there with you. I dont have any certifications that are relevant to fire rescue, but I do have over 6 years in the military with 4 of them being in a leadership position. I also did pretty well on the PAT and felt like my interview went great, better than I could of imagined, so it makes me think that they are going in alphabetical order, or at least i hope.
    I'm right there with you, military, college degree, and numerous professional certifications and licenses. Interview went great and smoked the PAT...makes me wonder what politics are going into the hiring process..

Forum Member

Well the good thing is that there isn't a large group of people having received these emails. So maybe they're working through some sort of list or something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlcowboys5 View Post
    I received that email as well. They sent an updated one stating that if you pass the PAT and interview would be scheduled the following business day. In that email it stated the 30th. Btw is there any Veterans in here that submitted their DD214? I brought mine to the interview but DCFR never officially asked for one.
    Yeah, buddy. I added my DD214 as a pdf file on my application. They also asked if I was prior military during my interview so I assume that points may have been added to the interview.

Forum Member

Well the good thing is that there isn't a large group of people having received these emails. So maybe they're working through some sort of list or something.
    Yes sir. As ol' Bill Shakespeare put it so well, "What will be, will be." All of us on here did our very best on the written, PAT and interview. It's out of our hands now, fellers. Congrats to those who heard already and hang on tight to the ones who haven't heard yet.

That being said, I was told yesterday by a contact that we may actually get a letter from the county via snail mail in the next week or two that has an official job offer contingent upon successful completion of a medical screening. Y'all keep the faith!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonysnow View Post
    Yes sir. As ol' Bill Shakespeare put it so well, "What will be, will be." All of us on here did our very best on the written, PAT and interview. It's out of our hands now, fellers. Congrats to those who heard already and hang on tight to the ones who haven't heard yet.

That being said, I was told yesterday by a contact that we may actually get a letter from the county via snail mail in the next week or two that has an official job offer contingent upon successful completion of a medical screening. Y'all keep the faith!
    Hey bud tried to pm ya back. Clean out your inbox, pack rat.

Forum Member

Hey bud tried to pm ya back. Clean out your inbox, pack rat.
    Got it, dude.

Thread Information