Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

Forum Member

Default Dekalb County GA Hiring 100 Firefighters this year. Opening March 3rd 2014

DeKalb County Fire Rescue To be the best, you’ve got to be with the best. DeKalb County Fire Rescue Department is HIRING!!! The Department is seeking to hire 100 Firefighter Candidates by the end of Year 2014! Application filing is scheduled to open on Monday, March 3, 2014 at 8:00a.m. Qualified applicants that submit applications during the filing period will be notified by mail of their specific test date and time. Log onto the DeKalb County Human Resources Department Job Opportunities webpage at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/dekalbga/default.cfm and click on the Firefighter job opportunity to apply. Good luck and thank you for your interest in DeKalb County Government and DeKalb County Fire Rescue Department.

Forum Member

DekalbFF123, I'm an out of stater looking to apply for this opportunity. Does DeKalb County work w/ out of state candidates (written test, pat, and oral). Thank you.

Forum Member

Yes, they do. A number of firefighters have come from out of state in the last class. Good luck.

Forum Member

DekalbFF123.. what is the written test like and How can you prepare? What if you already have all your certs including AEMT. Do you still have to do a written?

MembersZone Subscriber

Never Give Up,

Last I knew it is the CWH Test. You can do a general Google search to find out what is on it. Also, the county should send you CWH's study guide. All applicants will have to take the written test and go through the fire academy. If your A-EMT is national registry, then you don't have to go through the EMS portion of the academy.

Forum Member

Information is correct. Standard type of test, A-EMT is a huge plus and will get you to the front of the line as long as you pass everything else. The class that started in October was filled with A-EMT and paramedics, they were the first to start.

Forum Member

hey DekalbFF i'm trying to create an account with DeKalb counties, website.. Though when i enter my e-mail address, it's saying e-mail un available.. i've triple checked spelling and periods... I would prefer not to use my secondary e-mail that i've had since i was 13.

any help would be appreciated. also is the physical test, your standard cpat, or does DeKalb use their own variation of it?

Forum Member

That means either you already have an account with DeKalb and forgot your password or that email is already being used. If I was you I would not let an secondary email stop me from applying and missing out. Why not use it, its a email for communication and that's the purpose of an email...and that's what you are doing. Don't be silly man

Forum Member

Your time is running up. Field your question to HR or use a secondary email.

Forum Member

oh well, tried logging in, with 3 different names, no luck.. secondary e-mail it is.

Forum Member

Dekalb,
    You mentioned the October class was filled with already certified A-EMTs. I unfortunately let my EMT lapse when I moved into fire prevention division. Can you comment on the outlook for a candidate who no longer posseses an EMT certificate. Are the chances slim to none?

Forum Member

Hiring 100 recruits is a lot.

How many people in past testings have showed up to take the test?

Forum Member

I believe they had around 750 to 800 apply last year. I'm not sure as to how many tested. May want to do a search for the 2013 dekalb thread and verify through that. Last years application period was only a few days as well.

Forum Member

Good morning! I had a few questions for the DeKalb Brothers on here. I was going to message one of you with the questions, but I figured posting here would be beneficial to everyone applying.

1. How long is the academy and is there a high washout rate?

2. Are there any residency requirements for new hires (such as having to live inside the county or a radius once hired)?

3. Are there any rules regarding tobacco use for new hires?

4. How is the working relationship between the Union and the county (as far as having contracts and MOU's)?

5. I've read a couple of articles regarding a handful of cities within DeKalb County that want to provide their own fire protection. Is this happening and will this result in layoffs or realignment of personnel?

6. Is there a step plan in place for pay; or, are pay increases based on promotions?

7. Does a new firefighter/EMT have to wait a certain period of time before they can join a specialty team such as Dive Team, HAZMAT, ARFF, medic school?

8. Does DeKalb County give/receive a good bit of mutual aid to surrounding jurisdictions? Fire load?

9. I know many departments across the country have taken hits in their pension plan/pay. How is the economic climate in DeKalb County?

10. Any other advice you could give to current applicants?

Thank you very much in advance and I apologize for being so long-winded! Be safe and hope to see y'all on the other end!

Forum Member

GREAT questions tonysnow. Anticipating the answers to these as i would be leaving my current full time fire job for this. Also relocation from the northeast

Forum Member

2 more days
    Last edited by 2tonegator; 03-06-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

Wow lots of questions. You still have a great chance, even if you don't have your EMT cert. No CPAT. The PAT is pretty easy compared to the CPAT. Training is 4 months for the academy and 7 months for A-EMT, all paid training. Wash out rate is higher usually in the EMT program. No residency requirement in the county or metro area. There are no restrictions for tobacco use. This is a right to work state, there is a fire union in the county, but no contract. There is some talk about one more city providing some services, so far none of the recently incorporated cities has begun the process for starting their own department. No layoffs even mentioned. They are planning to hire 300 FF's over the next 3 years. There is a formal step increase plan, but it has been suspended since 2010. We are getting the first across the board raise since before then. Things are really looking up aster a number of tough years.
    Get hired first then worry about the specialty teams, but yes we have all of those. We have a GMAG agreement, but usually no automatic aid, except for the area in Sandy Springs just above station 18. heavy fire load, we fight a lot!! of fire. We have the only traditional pension left in metro Atlanta. The economic climate was tough, but things are getting better in every way. Good Luck stay safe.

Forum Member

Why would you leave a FT job to work for another FT job?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie11628 View Post
    some people aren't happy where they currently are at, maybe they have family in the area, could be a multitude of reasons

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DekalbFF123 View Post
    Wow lots of questions. You still have a great chance, even if you don't have your EMT cert. No CPAT. The PAT is pretty easy compared to the CPAT. Training is 4 months for the academy and 7 months for A-EMT, all paid training. Wash out rate is higher usually in the EMT program. No residency requirement in the county or metro area. There are no restrictions for tobacco use. This is a right to work state, there is a fire union in the county, but no contract. There is some talk about one more city providing some services, so far none of the recently incorporated cities has begun the process for starting their own department. No layoffs even mentioned. They are planning to hire 300 FF's over the next 3 years. There is a formal step increase plan, but it has been suspended since 2010. We are getting the first across the board raise since before then. Things are really looking up aster a number of tough years.
    Get hired first then worry about the specialty teams, but yes we have all of those. We have a GMAG agreement, but usually no automatic aid, except for the area in Sandy Springs just above station 18. heavy fire load, we fight a lot!! of fire. We have the only traditional pension left in metro Atlanta. The economic climate was tough, but things are getting better in every way. Good Luck stay safe.
    Awesome response!! Thank you very much! Sounds like an incredible opportuntity for a prestigious department!!

Forum Member

I put in an application! Has anyone heard anything yet?

Forum Member

I sent mine in. But haven't heard anything yet.

Forum Member

mines in as well. nothing from the dept yet

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie11628 View Post
    many reasons….but the most important is that local politicians are attempting (and succeeding ) in closing down my fire dept. 44 well trained fire/emts loosing their job. So….since this fire thing runs in my blood….i seek to continue this incredible career i love so much.

Forum Member

It's only been closed for one week and HR has probably 1000+ applications to sort through. I would think if 100 FFs will be hired this year that the process will start fairly soon.

Thread Information