Forum Member

Default Questions any help would be great

Im still in the Air Force and did the "VSP" ,volunteer seperation pay, and my DOS is Sept 2014instead of 2016. Ive been in for 13 yrs and going to pursue firefighting again. I went to the fire school in Pensacola Fla in 2000 and was just young and dumb so I went into the AF. So now here I am!!!

1. I live in Tucson Arizona and want to know if I should just go to a firehouse and ask about the recruit schools or go to TEEX at A&M and come back with my certs and apply.

2. If I go to TEEX and appy in AZ do I have to challenge the AZ certs to get a job as a FF.

I know this will not be an easy task and Im up for any ideas that anyone can throw at me. Just dont want to be high and dry when Sept rolls around and stuck with questions and no job or job in work. Im willing to work at any FD to do what Ive always wanted to do. If anyone could help me out it would be awesome. Or if anyone is in Tucson that would be up for meeting up and helping me out would be awesome.
    Thanks for your time

Forum Member

Hello there,
    I believe you should do both (actually three things). First and foremost, thank you for your service. We really appreciate men and women who have served our country.
    The first thing you should do is to decide what area of the country you would like to live in. Once you have done this, knock on the door of the local fire house and talk to the firefighters. Find out what THEY recommend. Ideally you get a chance to speak to the newly hired firefighter. Frequently they know the most about the process because they recently went through it. Sometimes the older firefighters are more removed from the hiring process.
    I would also work on tightening up any and all certifications that you can get through the military. Some, not all, will translate into the civilian firefighting world.
    Lastly, take as many fire science and general education classes NOW as they will make you more marketable. Work toward your AS degree in fire science and set a goal to go through a junior college fire academy. Best of luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

So you want to live on Arizona when you get out????

If so check as many Arizona FD web sites and find out what the minimum certs if any are required just to apply.

For teex are you talking online or in classroom academy??

Thread Information