Like Tree22Likes

Thread: First responders national holiday

Forum Member

Default First responders national holiday

I don't know if this has been posted here before or not. Regardless I think it's worth posting now.

A while back I signed an web-based petition for a national first responders holiday. I got an email update today. Here is the link to the petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/unit...porter_message

This is the email I received, please share the link to the petition!

"On February 27th, Congressman Capuano (MA) and Congressman Maffei (NY) filed a bill to have the President designate a "National First Responders Day". The Bill is called "H.R. 4109: To require the President to designate a legal public holiday to be known as National First Responders Day."

This is a huge step to achieving what we believe to be the right thing to do. With 25 cosponsors from all over the country and both sides of the aisle, it has a strong start.

This petition is what we all can point to when Congress asks "Is there any support for this bill". I will proudly show them this page with all its comments and signatures.

I am asking you to help us get more signatures. Please e-mail you address book, Post on Facebook, twitter, Google+. If everyone where to get 4 friends to sign up we will be well over 100,000.

Also, please consider calling the office of your Member of Congress and ask them to sign on as a cosponsor. Tell them why this recognition is important to you. Your personal story will help demonstrate the support for this legislation. You can find out who your Member of Congress is and find his or her contact information by entering your zip code at www.house.gov.

Thank you for your support in such a worthy cause."

Just so you are forewarned, as soon as you sign the petition, edit your email preferences with change.org.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Not interested.
    rm1524 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

Why do we "first responders" (a term that I loathe) need a holiday? And how ridiculous is it that I'm supposed to petition the government to give me my own holiday? I can't think of anything more self-serving and narcassistic.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Why do we "first responders" (a term that I loathe) need a holiday? And how ridiculous is it that I'm supposed to petition the government to give me my own holiday? I can't think of anything more self-serving and narcassistic.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    rm1524 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I thought all that but thought maybe just once I wouldn't be the one to say it. Hence my simple "Not interested."
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Amen, Brother, amen.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Well said!!!!

Forum Member

Heartily concur.

MembersZone Subscriber

Recognition is nice (EMS Week, anyone), but a "holiday" has implications far beyond recognition. It's dollars and cents, especially if businesses and other facilities close. And that impact is sizeable.

It certainly isn't going to help with recruitment and retention.

Instead of a holiday, how about something that will help the volunteer fire service bring in more volunteers? That's not a slam on the career folks. There are areas that will be covered by volunteers for years to come, and those volunteers are getting scarce...
    BoxAlarm187 and rm1524 like this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I started a thread a few years ago complaining about the term "first responder". The main three things I didn't like were:

1. It was obviously coined by somebody who didn't know WTF they were talking about, because
    2. It's a level of Emergency Medical Technician (at least here in KY) and was already in use for that purpose, and
    3. It implies that we are the Keystone Kops out here muddling through until someone more competent arrives. The fact is that we "first responders" are almost always the ONLY responders, and we don't need anybody else's help.
    johnsb and rm1524 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Does seem awfully self-serving to lobby for a holiday.

As a couple of the posters have said, recognition is nice, but it's certainly much more appreciated (and probably for more genuine) when it comes from local folks on the local level.
    rm1524 likes this.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Does seem awfully self-serving to lobby for a holiday.

As a couple of the posters have said, recognition is nice, but it's certainly much more appreciated (and probably for more genuine) when it comes from local folks on the local level.
    Hey LA -did a chunk of ice hit you in the head? You have started to make a few posts that I agree with.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Hey LA -did a chunk of ice hit you in the head? You have started to make a few posts that I agree with.
    Well, God knows there has been enough ice falling this winter to give you plenty of opportunities to get beaned with some.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Not only is this quite stupid, think of the consequences. If we all was to take the day off who is covering for us? Our strange cousins the cops? Yeah that will really work out great. We'll be working for the next three days straight trying to mitigate that disaster.

Forum Member

Another vote for NO.

Forum Member

Instead of giving "first responders" a national holiday, I would rather the members of Congress work to maintain our armed forces, work towards welfare and other entitlement reforms, cut foreign aid to people who hate us, toughen up immigration laws and take care of our veterans.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Instead of giving "first responders" a national holiday, I would rather the members of Congress work to maintain our armed forces, work towards welfare and other entitlement reforms, cut foreign aid to people who hate us, toughen up immigration laws and take care of our veterans.
    That foreign aid to people who hate us has got to be the worst. Drives me crazy.

Forum Member

Gonz and cap,

Have you both forgotten the policy of "Winning our enemies hearts and minds?" Come on seriously now...

Seriously I couldn't agree with you guys more. It absolutely grinds my gears that politicians want to cut veterans benefits. Especially with these 2 sh it wars they are fighting, and have fought.
    Maybe it's not too late

Truckie

Very well said.

Forum Member

Well Chief I hate to break it to you...but you have no future in politics, as this makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

EXACTLY!!!

Another vote for "NOT INTERESTED"
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I might be taking this idea wrong but in my mind this holiday would represent our fallen brothers not ourselves it wouldnt be selfish to have a holiday dedicated to our fallen brothers i voted for it because i think they do deserve to be honored at least one day out of the year by a country that it is typically very unappreciative of all public service jobs (military, police, fire) just my 2 cents you guys are reading into it too much its not about narcisism or being a glory hound its about paying respects to our fallen brothers all together one day out of the year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by limmillis View Post
    I might be taking this idea wrong but in my mind this holiday would represent our fallen brothers not ourselves it wouldnt be selfish to have a holiday dedicated to our fallen brothers i voted for it because i think they do deserve to be honored at least one day out of the year by a country that it is typically very unappreciative of all public service jobs (military, police, fire) just my 2 cents you guys are reading into it too much its not about narcisism or being a glory hound its about paying respects to our fallen brothers all together one day out of the year.
    I think it is bring propsed out of guilt for the way the pols tossed the fire service, PD and EMS aside after all the photo ops after 9/11 subsided... then ikt was back to "business as usual"... cutting budgets and laying off personnel.

You want to honor those who died in the line of duty on 9/11?

Get fit, train and teach the next generation of firefighters.
    SPFDRum and BoxAlarm187 like this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I think it is bring propsed out of guilt for the way the pols tossed the fire service, PD and EMS aside after all the photo ops after 9/11 subsided...
    Since I originally started this thread....

Did you at all click on the link I provided in the OP? If you had, and if you had taken the time to read what was there you would have seen that the person that started the petition is the BROTHER of the slain PD officer from the Boston bombings. This is not a political (Congressional) movement. It's a grassroots thing. And I fully believe limmillis is correct in his statements that the holiday would be to honor those that have been lost, very much like Veterans Day is to the military- NOT to "give us a day off".

I have a feeling the majority of you that have posted so far have done so to simply echo what was already said "No, we don't need it, don't think it's important to feel self-righteous, NOT INTERESTED, etc, etc, etc." (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). But I think if you guys actually read what is in the petition before jumping on the bandwagon you might have sung a different tune.

If you guys don't think it's important, fine. Not going to bother me. But at least read the damn thing and then make up your mind...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfelix22000us View Post
    Since I originally started this thread....

Did you at all click on the link I provided in the OP? If you had, and if you had taken the time to read what was there you would have seen that the person that started the petition is the BROTHER of the slain PD officer from the Boston bombings. This is not a political (Congressional) movement. It's a grassroots thing. And I fully believe limmillis is correct in his statements that the holiday would be to honor those that have been lost, very much like Veterans Day is to the military- NOT to "give us a day off".

I have a feeling the majority of you that have posted so far have done so to simply echo what was already said "No, we don't need it, don't think it's important to feel self-righteous, NOT INTERESTED, etc, etc, etc." (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). But I think if you guys actually read what is in the petition before jumping on the bandwagon you might have sung a different tune.

If you guys don't think it's important, fine. Not going to bother me. But at least read the damn thing and then make up your mind...
    It seems like it bothers you...
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information