Forum Member

Default Changing Whelen Flash Patterns

We are about to take delivery of a new engine with a Whelen Warning light "package". I have read the instructions on line about changing flash patterns, but it seems a little more complicated for a novice/amateur like myself (unplug this wire...take this wire and apply 12 volts to it...isolate that wire...etc...).

Does anyone have a way to explain this to me in more simple terms? Is it really as complicated as my brain is comprehending it to be? Our 2005 Tanker has a Code 3 light bar, and changing that flash pattern was as simple as pressing a flat-head screw driver to to connector/connection thingies.

Obviously, if I can't figure out how to do it and not blow up the truck...I just won't do it. But surely it can't be that complicated.

Let's talk fire trucks!

The first thing you'll have to do is find out if the all of the lights are wired to a common flasher, such as a Whelen ULF-44. If that's the case, then you don't want to fool with trying to change the pattern on the individual light heads themselves, this would be done on the flasher.

If it's not wired to a central flasher, then the lights may be sync'ed together using the sync wire that comes on the back of the Whelen light heads. You can still change the flash pattern on individual light heads, they may just look weird with dissimilar patterns that are sync'ed next to one another.

If the lights aren't sync'ed and aren't wired to a flasher, then you're good to go.

All you have to do is apply power to the Scan-Lock wire, which can be found in the following link for the Whelen M6 light head, one of the most popular light heads in use today: http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14191.pdf
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information