Forum Member

Wink I need some vital advice about my future

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is not the right forum, but between all the sub-forums I thought this would be the best one.

Long story short, and straight to the advise needed. I'm 32 years old, and I work as a flight instructor. Since I was young I always wanted to be a firefighter, but for family reasons I ended going to college and then to flight school. I'm a spaniard and my background is pretty atypical in my opinion. I lived a couple of years in UK, 3 in Germany, and after getting my greencard I moved to the US, while I moved back to my profession, aviation.

But call it destiny, I rented an apartment and it's close to a fire station, and everytime they respond to a call, oh my god!, I feel again like a teenager, my skin and those shivers.....well I guess that most of you know what I mean.
    The thing is...and maybe this is a european concept of this profession, but am I too old to change my career? being firefighter the change of course. I know I'm still young, but I don't know how the departments may look at me, compared to those guys in their 20's.
    No EMT or any kind of certificate or experience at all, and I would need to lose a lot of weight, but that's the easy part actually.

I live in Denver, CO, and I've seen in internet that they need volunteer bilingual firefighters, wich would be ideal in my case I guess.

So what do you think guys, would it be too weird/undoable to change careers at this point? and talking about time, if I dedicate myself full time to prepare everything, maybe get EMT-B certificate, get really fit, etc....?

I don't know, I just feel like this would be my last chance of at least trying it.

Thanks for taking the time to read me, and I appreciate any advice you could offer me.

Saludos!

Forum Member

You might start by volunteering , that will give you a taste and see if it is what you thought it was and if you want to do it

No you are not to old, except to check if a dept has an age limit

You need to check several city droits to see what the minimum is just to apply and get those certs

Get in shape , most important thing of all

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice fire49

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Javi,

I became a volunteer firefighter at 18 and got my first career firefighting job at 31, then switched departments at 39. So no, you are not to old, but if you need to lose a lot of weight that may keep you out of the career more than your age. Get in shape, get your education, and good luck!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I'm already on it FyredUp!, should take more than 6 months to be fit again.

I hope you can answer to a maybe stupid question. My parents live in Spain, and as they get older, I would like to visit them "often", wich is why I'm gonna ask about vacation/holidays.

I see how more or less in most of the departments you get something like 12 days of vacation, and what I don't know is how that works exactly. Assuming 24/48 shifts, and imaging that we start working on Monday, would be back on Thursday and then again on Sunday, ok.
    If I take 1 day of vacation, would that mean that I could work on Monday, fly back to Spain, and then going back to the station on Sunday? being that Wednesday just one day from my holidays?

I guess it's too good to be true that way. I'm just curious about how it works in order to combine my dream with my parents in Spain.

Thanks guys for your help, again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javi View Post
    I'm already on it FyredUp!, should take more than 6 months to be fit again.

I hope you can answer to a maybe stupid question. My parents live in Spain, and as they get older, I would like to visit them "often", wich is why I'm gonna ask about vacation/holidays.

I see how more or less in most of the departments you get something like 12 days of vacation, and what I don't know is how that works exactly. Assuming 24/48 shifts, and imaging that we start working on Monday, would be back on Thursday and then again on Sunday, ok.
    If I take 1 day of vacation, would that mean that I could work on Monday, fly back to Spain, and then going back to the station on Sunday? being that Wednesday just one day from my holidays?

I guess it's too good to be true that way. I'm just curious about how it works in order to combine my dream with my parents in Spain.

Thanks guys for your help, again.

You would take vacation on Thursday to get the whole week off

But

Depending on the city you work for is how vacation days are earned and how/ when they can be used .

Plus , being low person might also factor when you can get off during the year

Plus, some depts allow you to work someone elses shift in exchange for them working one if yours. So another way to have a group of days off. Some depts make you wait till off probation to trade

Forum Member

I am on the tail end of my career and want to finish my flight lessons to get my private pilot ticket.

It is not weird to change professions... if you want it, go for it. You could always work part time as a CFI.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Bilingual in the Denver area? You're golden.

Get your EMT stat and start applying everywhere. Sign up for the DRCOG and job opening notifications from cities in the area. Get on a national job search site if relocating is an option. You can have your EMT and be ready to roll by 33. Not too old at all. I know guys hired in there late 30's early 40s. Good luck to you dude.

Thread Information