Forum Member

Default Anyone have information on Sanford Pumper 1965/1966 era

My small dept has a 1965/1966 Sanford Pumper. It hasn't been on a call in 5 years. I would just like some history on it. I Googled it but didn't come up with much

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cabin 26 View Post
    My small dept has a 1965/1966 Sanford Pumper. It hasn't been on a call in 5 years. I would just like some history on it. I Googled it but didn't come up with much
    I can't contibute very much, and you may already have the same info. Sanford was a small apparatus builder in East Syracuse, N.Y. They built on commercial and custom chassis and used Hale pumps exclusively.
    They built a decent piece of apparatus. During my trucking days I had to wait several hours for a return shipment. Since their plant was only a couple of blocks down the street from where I was, I went there and got a plant tour. I was favorably impressed.
    I don't think they had a huge presence in any one area except maybe their own (central New York state). I'm not sure but what the city of Syracuse may have had some; someone from that area may be better able to enlighten us. One company in our area (eastern Pennsylvania) was a loyal customer, heving had several, all on Ford chassis. One was on an L9000 chassis, the rest were Cs. I think the L9000 may still be in service somewhere.
    Like so many others, they were assembled from mostly vendor stock components. So if replacement parts are an issue, even as old as the truck is, many of them can still be had.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 03-17-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Syntax

Forum Member

try the Youngstown fire forums
    ?

Forum Member

Thanks guys our town council wants us to get it back into service. I personally do not think it is worth it but thats my own opinion.

Forum Member

Thanks guys our town council wants us to get it back into service. I personally do not think it is worth it but thats my own opinion.
    I don't know if there's any kind of Sanford cult out there like there is for Mack, Hahn, Seagrave, etc. If a collector would want a Sanford, it would probably have more dollar value there. I don't know if Andy Leider would want to expand the number of different brands that he has, or if he already has one (or more).

As a fire truck, it's value is probably near zero. What chassis is it on, anyway? So the decision for you all has to be what does it need and can you justify spending the money? Does it have any sentimental value to folks there? As I said earlier, many parts can still be had, but probably not at your local truck dealer or NAPA store and not tomorrow, either (although I did get a master cylinder for a '44 Mack at NAPA a couple of years ago, in one day). So if it goes down, what will it take and how long will it take to get parts and get it back up and running? Chassis parts are one thing, Sanford parts would probably have to be fabricated. Remember, the piece is nearly 50 years old, and Sanford has been gone for 24 years. Good luck!

Forum Member

It is build on a Ford 800 chassis. I think it has a 1000gpm pump with a 750 tank. Thanks for the help again. This is something I will for sure bring up at the next fire meeting. I don't think anyone realizes that Sanford has been out of business that long. As far as sentimental value there may be some hidden away in the fire dept. or the town council but no one has made it known. Don't get me wrong I am the first to say I like old fire trucks, but they have their place.

Forum Member

Correction it is a Ford 950 chassis

Forum Member

This would with what fire department or town we are researching for?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Big Cabin Fire Dept in Big Cabin Oklahoma. I was talking to a 30 year member and he said it was bought in the 80's

Thread Information