Thread: 2014 bates test

Forum Member

Default 2014 bates test

Has anyone ever taken and or heard anything about the new bates test? It's been relatively quiet on here about the test.

Forum Member

I had never taken it before, but I'm sure you've got the question answered for yourself from today.

Forum Member

New test as in just the current year's test, or new test as in they aren't using the FireTEAM anymore?

Forum Member

They went away from the firetrap test this year. I've never seen this test before

Forum Member

FireTeam* test

Forum Member

How do you folks feel you did? I walked out quite confident. I liked this test more than the FireTeam.

Forum Member

That's good. The FireTeam test is awful. What's the new one like?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
    How do you folks feel you did? I walked out quite confident. I liked this test more than the FireTeam.
    I loved this test. I've never taken FireTeam but I haven't heard one good thing about it. I felt like I maybe only had to guess on 3 questions with this one.

Forum Member

I received my score today in the mail. Not a bad score, it's up there.

Does anyone know if preference points were added to the test results, or if that'll be done after the CPAT, or if that is something the individual agencies do?

Forum Member

Just got my score. Are we allowed to post scores or is that a no no? I would like some comparison as I don't know if it a good score or not.

Forum Member

Just got my score. Are we allowed to post scores or is that a no no? I would like some comparison as I don't know if it a good score or not.
    I don't recall hearing/reading that it was a no no. Posting test questions would obviously be against the rules.

Forum Member

I scored an 89. Is that even in the ballpark for being competitive?

Forum Member

I scored an 89. Is that even in the ballpark for being competitive?
    I would never tell anyone to stop pursuing it or a career. For me, I'd feel like that wouldn't be good enough though. Unless you also have veteran's preference, which I guess is 10% added to the top of that. You got folks that got in the ballpark of that score or higher and then have 10 percent added to the top of their score. That's kind of tough to beat.

Forum Member

Thanks for the honest reply Drax. Much appreciated.

Forum Member

I got my score. Thoroughly disappointed with myself based off of it. Confused too because I walked out thinking I did really well. Oh well just gotta keep pressing forward. Whats everyones opinion on the PHQ's affect on whether or not you get called back for an interview? Does it matter at all or is an invitation soley based off of written exam score and passing the CPAT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TowerRescue View Post
    I got my score. Thoroughly disappointed with myself based off of it. Confused too because I walked out thinking I did really well. Oh well just gotta keep pressing forward. Whats everyones opinion on the PHQ's affect on whether or not you get called back for an interview? Does it matter at all or is an invitation soley based off of written exam score and passing the CPAT.
    I can only speculate, but I would say they judge you off the entire package, but...

Even though I think the test was the same for everyone, I believe the groups are still split based on certificates. I'm thinking they probably don't look at experience until after you've been ranked based on your test results and then placed into your proper grouping (I.E. Paramedic, EMT-B & FF1).

Wouldn't make sense, as far as testing process goes, to line it up any other way. I'm sure they'll review all candidates and if you did decently on the test, have the certs they're looking for, and have a decent amount of experience in that field, you'll be a viable candidate for interview. Again, only speculation, but this is a competitive field and there may be time constraints or other factors involved.

Whether or not you decide to take the CPAT, I wish you good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    I can only speculate, but I would say they judge you off the entire package, but...

Even though I think the test was the same for everyone, I believe the groups are still split based on certificates. I'm thinking they probably don't look at experience until after you've been ranked based on your test results and then placed into your proper grouping (I.E. Paramedic, EMT-B & FF1).

Wouldn't make sense, as far as testing process goes, to line it up any other way. I'm sure they'll review all candidates and if you did decently on the test, have the certs they're looking for, and have a decent amount of experience in that field, you'll be a viable candidate for interview. Again, only speculation, but this is a competitive field and there may be time constraints or other factors involved.

Whether or not you decide to take the CPAT, I wish you good luck.
    Thank ya sir. I took the CPAT the same day. I passed that. Just not confident with my written score. But hopefully like you say the other stuff will be considered.

Forum Member

Thank ya sir. I took the CPAT the same day. I passed that. Just not confident with my written score. But hopefully like you say the other stuff will be considered.
    You took the CPAT the day they were doing the orientation for it?

Forum Member

You took the CPAT the day they were doing the orientation for it?
    Yes. I didn't ask to do it, it just came up that I was out of state and they offered. Plus I told them I did a CPAT for another fire department 4 days earlier to explain why I wasn't running through the practice with everyone. So I guess they felt comfortable enough to allow me to test out that day. Me and one other out of towner did.

Forum Member

Yes. I didn't ask to do it, it just came up that I was out of state and they offered. Plus I told them I did a CPAT for another fire department 4 days earlier to explain why I wasn't running through the practice with everyone. So I guess they felt comfortable enough to allow me to test out that day. Me and one other out of towner did.
    Rough, did they let you see your score first or no?

Forum Member

Rough, did they let you see your score first or no?
    Ya they did. I got 8:32 I think. If you've never taken it it's really easy. The worst part is the stair climb, prepare for that and you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Ya they did. I got 8:32 I think. If you've never taken it it's really easy. The worst part is the stair climb, prepare for that and you'll be fine.
    I was referring to the written exam's results not the CPAT. I'm saying, I would have had a difficult time paying for a CPAT through them if my written test results were not (by my standards) good. But I guess, you weigh out the pros and cons of traveling back. I've taken a few CPATs now, I've even taken one through PST at the location you did yours for Bates.

Forum Member

Removed information.
    Last edited by Drax; 08-22-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone take the bates test for tumwater last week? Scores were sent out yesterday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KDRX View Post
    Anyone take the bates test for tumwater last week? Scores were sent out yesterday.
    I took it, haven't seen a score yet though. I may call a little later on if I don't get an email.

Thread Information