Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris111179
  • 1 Post By Chris111179
  • 1 Post By Chris111179

Thread: Volunteer Process?

Forum Member

Default Volunteer Process?

My dream since I was a kid was to be a firefighter. Now that I have turned 18, I have applied to my local volunteer fire department. I have submitted my application along with the other 10 forums that had to submitted with it (Proof of insurance, fingerprint cards, copy of license, ect.). The lady at the town office said they had to send all my information to the police and it could take up to 3-4 weeks, it has been one week and now I'm doing a back flip every time my phone rings hoping it is the fire department. I have been spending a lot of my free time trying to learn everything I can about the department, talking to some of the volunteers that have watched me grow up (very small town). Is there anymore I can do to prepare myself for my first meeting with the engineers? The lady at the town office said the would schedule a interview. What should I expect from this interview? I have been reading up on oral interview questions and pointers but I really have no idea where to start. Things like what should I wear to this interview, and how formal or informal should my answers be? (I'm guessing very formal) My grandmothers brother is the fire chief in the next town over and I have a number of cousins that in the fire department in neighboring towns. And my grandfather was a fire chief until he passed. So you could say that it runs in the family.
    KTung954 and Deliverance like this.

Forum Member

What state are you in?

Start working out, get in shape

Talk to your relatives in the FD for pointers

Practice practice practice interviewing

Tape yourself so you know what you sound like to others

Say more than two words for an answer

Paid dept interview equals suit and tie automatically

Maybe long sleeve shirt, tie, dress pants nice shoes

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity- why do you have to submit proof of insurance?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'm in New Hampshire. This is a volunteer department, not paid. I have been doing P90X and Insanity off and of for a while, I believe I am in decent shape, 7:30 mile, 55-60 push ups in 2 minutes, 65 situps in 2 minutes. I haven't benched in a while but I was doing around 200 pounds regularly. Thank you for the quick reply. I will definitely wear a nice shirt and dress pants along with the shoes. One of main things I am concerned about is what kind of questions will they be asking? I don't to be stumped on a question, should I be more focused on scenarios or myself?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just out of curiosity- why do you have to submit proof of insurance?

I really don't know why I had to submit proof of insurance, it was just in the list of required things.

Forum Member

It is good to anticipate questions

But if you are asked a question, and do not know just say that , be honest, but also give the question a shot at least

Forum Member

We require proof of insurance

I think it is because it is required to drive your personal car, so it show you are eligible to get insurance, and are following state law

Plus we ask if you have ever drove without insurance , would say goes to character

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    We require proof of insurance

I think it is because it is required to drive your personal car, so it show you are eligible to get insurance, and are following state law

Plus we ask if you have ever drove without insurance , would say goes to character
    My VFD and my combination department are both required have proof of insurance from any volunteer are responding or coming to the station for training via POVs. This is mandated by the insurance company.

Juniors are required to have anyone who may be driving them to drills, training or calls also submit proof of insurance. Also mandated by the insurance company.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Hey guys, I have been waiting for awhile to hear back, last night the chief called my house and want to see me at the fire house next Monday at 7:30! For some reason my background check took over three months..
    Bigmo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris111179 View Post
    Hey guys, I have been waiting for awhile to hear back, last night the chief called my house and want to see me at the fire house next Monday at 7:30! For some reason my background check took over three months..
    When you have no record before two years ago , they think you might be CIA

Good luck, good sign they want to see you

Forum Member

Last night was the night. I got all my turn out gear, pager, forestry equipment, helmet, boots and a ton of other things. I got to meet most of the officers which were some of the coolest people I've ever met. Next Tuesday is when i will get assigned to a truck. Needless to say my week has gotten a whole lot better.
    jvanorder likes this.

Forum Member

fantastic

learn something everytime you go!!!!

Forum Member

I'm not sure about the insurance requirement, but I do know that we have had to turn a few applications away at my local rescue squad due to an applicant having too many tickets and/or points; we would be unable to add them to our insurance (if I recall correctly), so they were unable to be approved.

Thread Information