Forum Member

Default When should i take Paramedic?

I live in Florida and almost every department now requires Paramedics. So what i am asking is for your thoughts and opinions. Should i do EMT-Fire academy-Parademic, or EMT-Paramedic-Fire academy?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer367 View Post
    I live in Florida and almost every department now requires Paramedics. So what i am asking is for your thoughts and opinions. Should i do EMT-Fire academy-Parademic, or EMT-Paramedic-Fire academy?
    How soon do you want a job?

Do EMT-Paramedic-Fire Academy. While you are taking fire classes you can work for a private ambulance service until a fire department hires you.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Our community college offers a paramedic program - and you can get your Associates in the process. Check around.

Having EMT and being able to use it for income would be a plus. You might be able to get that card as a part of the paramedic program.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

You will do better in Paramedic school if you can get some EMT time behind you. You really want to start using your Paramedic skills as soon as you finish the program or they will rapidly decline.

I would start with EMT then try to get a job so you can start building your skills. Fire Academy next isn't a bad thought, hopefully you can at least land a part time EMT job so you can gain skills while you do the fire academy. The fire academy itself will improve your EMS skills as many involve some EMS skills (auto extrication, patient packaging, carries etc). Hopefully by this point you have been able to practice your EMT skills for 6 mo to a year and are ready for Paramedic school.

What I would strongly recommend against doing is EMT-Paramedic School then immediately following with fire academy. EMT - Paramedic school, work as a medic for a year or so then fire academy would be fine.

When you get out of Paramedic school your #1 priority should be working as a Paramedic, and becoming a good paramedic. This also helps provide you with a job while you seek a firefighter job.

My biggest gripe against fire based EMS, is many (not all) systems churn out mediocre firefighter paramedics because there is such a rush to learn two different jobs that they never become very good at either of them.

Forum Member

I in no way meant that he should take EMT then immediately go on to Paramedic. Frankly, I don't think anyone should take EMT without doing a ride along or 6 on a busy ambulance to see if the puke, sh it, blood and guts, maggots, and death, are what they want to deal with. Some people handle it just fine and others run screaming into the night.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer367 View Post
    I live in Florida and almost every department now requires Paramedics.
    So not true. There are many departments that hire with Firefighter 2 and EMT, They prefer Paramedic but not require. Yes your odds of getting hired increase with paramedic. I would suggest EMT, Firefighter 1 and 2, at least 6 months running calls then Paramedic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I in no way meant that he should take EMT then immediately go on to Paramedic. Frankly, I don't think anyone should take EMT without doing a ride along or 6 on a busy ambulance to see if the puke, sh it, blood and guts, maggots, and death, are what they want to deal with. Some people handle it just fine and others run screaming into the night.

Didn't think you did, but a lot of people seem to plan on EMT then straight into medic school.

When I went through medic school, 1 year of EMT experience was required. It seems like many schools have dropped that requirement, around here anyway. Probably just turning into an old codger but there used to be standards for medics, these days it seems to be something of a puppy mill industry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Didn't think you did, but a lot of people seem to plan on EMT then straight into medic school.

When I went through medic school, 1 year of EMT experience was required. It seems like many schools have dropped that requirement, around here anyway. Probably just turning into an old codger but there used to be standards for medics, these days it seems to be something of a puppy mill industry.
    The "puppy mill" has been brought on by so many FDs requiring paramedic before they will even hire you. Heck, if you are a kid just out of high school theoretically you could be a med before you reached the age of 20 if you pounded the courses hard.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Used to be that departments would hire send to FF1 & 2 academy, then have to pay to send to a paramedic program. $$$$

Now they want you to have spent the 8-10 grand to get your Paramedic degree before you show up for interview.

Know some guys here that got paid time to go to school and if they were not scheduled on shift got time & 1/2 for class time. If you didn't pass and get your Medic license then you had to pay back all the cost & time.

Not any more.

Thread Information