Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Drax
  • 1 Post By TowerRescue

Thread: New - Washington State

Forum Member

Default New - Washington State

Removed information.
    Last edited by Drax; 08-22-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Removed information.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Not in WA

But check different dept web sites see if they post their minimum requirements just to apply.

Find out what most want and get the cert or academy or whatever is needed, so you can apply.

Also on the dept website or HR, some will let you fill out an interest card and they will contact you when they take apps.

There are a few job sites that have been posted just do a search

Good luck, stay out of trouble

Forum Member

Good luck, stay out of trouble

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post

1.) Any open positions, volunteer or career, for fire service in: Pierce County, King County, Thurston County, Snohomish County, Mason County (only if it is career related), and Kitsap County (only if it is career related).

4.) Your suggestions on what I could do to greatly improve my chances of landing a career position. Please remember obvious is obvious, thanks.
    Broaden your area that you're willing to test/work in.

Forum Member

Removed information.

Forum Member

How much broader can I go? Pullman area? Most out of state agencies are asking for a valid driver's license in their state.

I applied to one of the tri-cities as well.
    I only test out of state. I'm from Ohio and I'm currently in the hiring process for a handful of WA fire departments, NC, PA and OH. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. As far as the license thing goes that's a simple fix. They want a valid license upon time of hire or shortly after. Getting a license only takes one day and maybe $40 so don't even think about it or let it stop you.

As far as job hunting a fantastic and free resource is the Facebook page Firefighter Jobs. Great resource for finding information. In regards to the WA area my advice would be to look into the FireTeam test and the standard IAFF/IAFC CPAT. A lot of West coast fire departments utilize the National Testing Network or Public Safety Testing to do all of their written and physicals. I'm gonna tell you right now, the FireTEAM sucks dick. But unfortunately it's commonly used for many fire departments in the WA area.

That's the only information I feel I'm qualified to give you as I'm still hunting for that Fulltime career position. I currently have two part time paid positions so if you want info on getting stuff on that kind of smaller scale send me an email and we can chat. Otherwise good luck to you.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

How much broader can I go?
    From Oregon to BC, and from the Pacific to Idaho.

Forum Member

Removed information.

Forum Member

Removed information.
    Last edited by Drax; 08-22-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Removed information.

Forum Member

You only are testing out of state? Are you sitting on a fat stack of cash? Well, I'm impressed you're traveling cross country to obtain a lifelong dream. Kind of shocked you're not applying at home at all.

I don't have the funds to fly/drive thousands of miles to land a fire gig, so I guess you've one upped me there.

I've applied to a couple dozen places in Washington using the PST and NTN testing channels, so I'm quite familiar with what you're talking about.
    Haha unfortunately no. Testing out of state, especially this year, is really hurting me financially. I clock in somewhere around 308 hours a month between my two fire jobs so thats whats paying for it. But I just cant stay in Ohio. I was raised here and need to get out so for me its worth the cost.

Forum Member

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind Oregon, but they've got a whole different certification process don't they? ORPAT and most are requiring Oregon State Certification. I haven't even got Washington state, just NREMT.

I haven't really looked into BC but I'm not really interested in moving my family out of country (even though just barely) to obtain work. I can't imagine my veteran's preference will do me any favors in Canada.

For the most part, I'm really just interested in living as close to the coast as possible which is why most of the departments I have applied for are no further than the Tri-cities area.

If I could do one thing though, it'd be to go back and select every department on PST and NTN, regardless of whether or not they had any vacancies. I was under the impression I'd be able to apply for them when they opened back up (not just the ones who are signing up for the first time). Oh well, it's nearly time to retake the PST (few months down the road), so I'll be wiser this time. Also hopefully Olympia and Bremerton are hiring this year, or one of the other two from the Bates test. I think I did really well on that one.
    Olympia just finished their writen exam and the physical is in May. Not sure when they are having another process. I was thoroughly disappointed with my score.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TowerRescue View Post
    Olympia just finished their writen exam and the physical is in May. Not sure when they are having another process. I was thoroughly disappointed with my score.
    You're referring to the Bates test then. Yeah I just wish I knew if they or Bremerton were hiring this year, wasn't it also Central Kitsap and South King Fire and Rescue for that test as well?

Forum Member

You're referring to the Bates test then. Yeah I just wish I knew if they or Bremerton were hiring this year, wasn't it also Central Kitsap and South King Fire and Rescue for that test as well?
    I dont believe so. When I sat for it they called it the Olympia written exam and I never heard anything about it being used for another department. But on the flip side Ive taken a text specifically for a depat and used it for another department. So Im just not sure on this one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TowerRescue View Post
    I dont believe so. When I sat for it they called it the Olympia written exam and I never heard anything about it being used for another department. But on the flip side Ive taken a text specifically for a depat and used it for another department. So Im just not sure on this one.
    "Become a Firefighter Recruit
    Olympia is a member of the Bates Firefighter Testing Consortium and our tests are proctored through Bates Technical College. When OFD has openings, we contact Bates Technical College for a list of passing candidates.

The Bates Firefighter Testing Consortium usually tests once a year, applications and schedules are available on the Joint Recruitment Testing web page.

Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
    The CPAT is a sequence of events requiring you to progress along a predetermined path from event to event in a continuous manner. This pass/fail test was developed to allow fire departments to obtain pools of trainable candidates who are physically able to perform essential job tasks at fire scenes. Learn More..."

Taken from the Olympia website:
    http://olympiawa.gov/city-services/f...ire-employment

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there a age limit to become a firefighter in Washington state either career or volunteer?

Forum Member

Every department has different requirements.

Thread Information