• 1 Post By Here and there
  • 1 Post By DullChainz
  • 1 Post By Fieronfire
  • 1 Post By Fieronfire
  • 1 Post By Fieronfire

Thread: USFS interest calls or emails?

Forum Member

Default USFS interest calls or emails?

Anybody hear back from any forests so far?
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

What region are you in and for what positions?

I' am in Region 6 (Pacific NW) and started receiving interest calls in Feb. Accepted an GS4 engine job two weeks ago.
    FF14 likes this.
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

Depends on the region. They're a little late in R5, south zone at least.. that's for temp jobs. Fire hire is about done for permanent jobs. There will be some movement from seasonal to apprentice that will open up some spots a little later in the process.

R3 should be well complete with any hiring seeing as they start in a week or two. R4 and r6 should also be complete, not sure about R1.
    FF14 likes this.

I too am wondering if anyone has heard anything. I have applied for every GS3 position possible and all over the US. I heard that Region 5 (Pacific SW) were calling people last week and this week. I also read that 2,200 applicants are vying for 203 wildland FF apprentice positions. It's super tough this year.

Forum Member

Region 1 has extended job offers for temporary positions already and some areas are still in that process.
    FF14 likes this.

I'm pretty sure R5 is still calling people, I had a few interest calls and one interest email between last month and last week. Those were all at the GS04/GS05 level though. Apprentice hiring should be done, I know people that have accepted positions from way up north all the way to the Cleveland.

Maybe "Here and There" will add something to this soon, I know he's involved in hiring.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post
    I too am wondering if anyone has heard anything. I have applied for every GS3 position possible and all over the US. I heard that Region 5 (Pacific SW) were calling people last week and this week. I also read that 2,200 applicants are vying for 203 wildland FF apprentice positions. It's super tough this year.

Some things to think about for next year (just in case you don't get picked up this season)

-Resume; last year I had a standard 1 page fire resume, got 2 interest calls only. This year I met with an adviser and hammered out a 8 page resume. The USFS really loves lengthy resumes that detail your experience. Nothing changed but my resume and this year I got multiple job offers, last year nada..

-Start making contacts early. I started calling and visiting USFS fire folks in December to get my name and face out there. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If you don't get picked up by the feds do a summer with a good contractor. At least then you get some experience, training and money. That's what I did last year. Good luck.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Fieronfire is spot on.

One of the criteria we rate is the quality of the resume, not how pretty it is, not what kind of experience you have but does it look like some effort into your resume. At the GS3 GS4 level this can carry a lot of weight and easily put a less experienced person with a good resume above the more experienced person with a bad resume.

Please make it easy to read. On my forest 10-15 of us have been going in every day for the past 2 weeks evaluating more than 1000 applications. Most of us try to help you score as high as possible, but if you make our eyes bleed we are going to miss something. If it doesn't look like you made much of an effort on your application, how much extra effort do you think we are going to put into rating it.

Also please include your supervisors and a good contact number so we don't have to track it down.

Use the job announcement for ideas of the kind of information to include, but please don't just cut and paste it into your resume. Just like a school report use your own words.

I've commented repeatedly about resumes so I'll leave it at that. You can search or start a new thread for more info on resumes. Just understand that the resume you need for applying for a Federal job is an entirely different creature from the 1 page resume many recommend when applying to a city job.

If somebody does start a resume thread I will be happy to get on my soap box.

Not a resume issue, but return calls / emails as soon as possible. You might be at the top of somebodies pile of candidates, but if you seem to be difficult to reach, you probably won't stay there for long.

If you have a smart phone I would highly recommend you use an email that you can link to your phone so you get instant notification of a new email. If you can't do that, then at least make a point of checking your emails frequently, particularly after having some contact.

As far as the OP.

If you haven't heard anything yet, don't despair. There is hiring still going on. I know that here in California we have lost people that were being considered to Region 3 and 6 which are just a bit ahead of us. Permanent hiring is also currently ongoing, so more temporary jobs are being created as those who hold them are offered apprenticeship positions. Finally Calfire is getting into their hiring, so we are losing people who accept jobs with them and creating additional spots for those who didn't make it into the first round of offers. It is not uncommon for late offers to continue through June as staffing adjustments are made.
    FF14 likes this.

Well, Just found out for a couple S Zone Forests they're working their way from the top down. Had a buddy just accept a Temp GS05 spot on an Engine. Probably working down to GS04's next week and maybe GS03's not to long after.. So hold fast, they'll get to you. There should be quite a few spots around with a lot of guys getting apprentice positions. I know my Crew has about 4 openings with guys leaving up and down CA with Apprenticeships.

Good luck!
    FF14 likes this.

@DullChainz - Thanks for the heads up!!!

@Fieronfire - I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but I'm guess you have a lot of fire experience for you to get a 8 page resume? Just curious...

@Here and there - Thanks for the tips!!! I do have my Ipod Touch set up so that I get my emails sent to it, so I'm good on that front....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF14 View Post

@Fieronfire - I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but I'm guess you have a lot of fire experience for you to get a 8 page resume? Just curious...
    Not to much experience really,
    -A.A.S. Fire Science
    -1 year intern firefighter
    -16 months career firefighter
    -1 summer on a contract hand crew.

Just think about all the previous jobs you have had and what did you do? I was a Valet for three years while going to school and I got half a page of bullet points that were relevant to a fire job.

Are there any colleges around you that offer wildland courses? Maybe call and ask if you could sit down with an instructor (many of them retired USFS fire folks here) and ask for resume help. Call a forest supervisor and ask how you can be the best possible candidate for the position or to make yourself stand out.

The key to getting hired anywhere is to be proactive.

Best of luck and don't get discouraged. Maybe a Federal Fire Hiring Process thread should be made, it is a pretty confusing subject imo if you are not familiar with the system.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Not only confusing, but also evolving.

I received an interest email from the Bandelier National Monument in Los Alamos, NM for a position on a type 6 engine. I emailed and called the supervisor and said that I am very interested in the position. The supervisor told me that calling him will go a long way. Now, it's a wait and see game to see if I get the job. He said that he is going to be starting to hire next week, so fingers crossed!

Forum Member

Nice work. Never been to Los Alamos but Santa Fe is a beautiful area. If you don't hear from him after a while give him a call again.
    FF14 likes this.

Will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Well, I received a "Thank you for your interest. The position has been filled." email yesterday from Los Alamos. Oh, well.

Forum Member

That's OK, what other options do you have now as far as working for the feds? State (Besides CalFire). I know Oregon Dept of Forestry does their hiring pretty late.

I would start looking for reputable contractors to work for. Some are good, some bad, do some research to find a good company to work for. You can make some pretty good money, get some experience and get a season under your belt.

I really enjoyed working for a hand crew contractor for a season. Got to have a LOT of fun with the drip torch and got to see some cool places. I got paid 10 flat and +2$ for being an EMT than a $800 safety bonus every two weeks. Sure beats working at a convenience store.
    FF14 likes this.

Well, I applied for every GS2/GS3 on usajobs. I have found a contractor in Oregon that seems like a good company to work for. They offer all the wildland training for free as long as say that you will work for the company. It's just a little hard for me right now, because some of their classes are during my school semester and I want to finish my semester (especially because I'm an EMT student).

Thread Information