Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Juniors using 4 way falshers in PA

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have said it before and I will repeat it here. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for a junior to be responding hot to anything. To me getting caught running redlights, a siren, using your flashers, or any nonsense while responding would be cause for immdiate suspension from the junior program. Preventing kids from getting killed or injured should be the number 1 priority of any junior program and idiotic driving should be punished swiftly and harshly.

And before some junior jumps my a z z over my opinion I believe that improper driving for adult volunteers should be punished equally as swiftly and harshly. I personally intensely dislike redlights and sirens on POVs and believe for many all they are is an idiot switch. Turn on the lights and siren and the brain falls completely out of their head. Without strict rules for use, and immediate harsh penalties for failure to follow them, all you have is a recipe for disaster.
    EastKyFF and FWDbuff like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

"Idiot switch" -- I like that -- gonna have to "borrow" that term.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The Pa Motor Vehicle Code does not allow for the use of hazard lights when responding to a fire for a senior firefighter, much less a junior. Just calm down and drive to the station like a normal human being.

4305. Vehicular hazard signal lamps.
    (a) General rule.--Simultaneous flashing of the two front and two rear signal lamps shall indicate a vehicular traffic hazard. The driver of a motor vehicle equipped with simultaneous flashing signals shall use the signals when the vehicle is stopped or disabled on a highway, except when the vehicle is stopped in compliance with a traffic-control device or when legally parked. Drivers of other vehicles shall exercise extraordinary care in approaching, overtaking and passing a vehicle displaying vehicular hazard warning signals.

(b) Use outside business and residence districts.--Outside of a business or residence district:
    1.The driver of a motor vehicle or combination equipped with simultaneous flashing signals shall use the signals when the vehicle is unable to maintain a speed of at least 25 miles per hour because of weather, grade or other similar factors or is unable to maintain a speed consistent with the normal flow of traffic.
    2.The driver of a bus equipped with simultaneous flashing signals shall use the signals when the bus is stopped with one or more wheels on the roadway between dusk and dawn for the purpose of receiving or discharging passengers.

(c) Use below minimum speed limit.--The driver of a motor vehicle or combination equipped with simultaneous flashing signals shall use the signals when the vehicle is not maintaining at least the minimum speed established in accordance with the provisions of section 3364 (relating to minimum speed regulation).
    That law is stupid as hell if you ask me. I use flashers because of idiots on the road and it keeps the popo off of me (I know all of them though )

Forum Member

As an Explorer, my personal opinion would be to do as fire49 said and report that kind of behavior to the chief. Reckless Behavior like that is not acceptable, whether he has lights, or four way flasher or whatever it happens to be. I do not live in Pennsylvania, but i would still just take a couple deep breaths and just respond to the station like regular traffic, and if i don't get there in time, no harm done, i'll wait to see if a second tone goes out for another truck or ambulance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachtheexplorer View Post
    That law is stupid as hell if you ask me. I use flashers because of idiots on the road and it keeps the popo off of me (I know all of them though )
    1. It doesn't matter what you think of the law. It is the law. You obey it.

2. And if something goes wrong while you are breaking this "stupid" law, you will have an unfortunate result in court(s).

3. I don't yield to anyone with hazard lights on. As the law states, they are for vehicles that are stopped or unusually slow. Do otherwise and see #2.

You have a lot of growing up to do. Your priority at this point in your fire service "career" is to learn, learn, learn, not to exceed the speed limit and zip off to the station to do nothing.
    xchief23 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    1. It doesn't matter what you think of the law. It is the law. You obey it.

2. And if something goes wrong while you are breaking this "stupid" law, you will have an unfortunate result in court(s).

3. I don't yield to anyone with hazard lights on. As the law states, they are for vehicles that are stopped or unusually slow. Do otherwise and see #2.

You have a lot of growing up to do. Your priority at this point in your fire service "career" is to learn, learn, learn, not to exceed the speed limit and zip off to the station to do nothing.
    Thanks for the advice

Thread Information