Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buckeye317

Thread: Marine Corp Reserve and Houston Fire

Forum Member

Default Marine Corp Reserve and Houston Fire

I am scheduled to attend the June 2014 class for Houston Fire Department (Non-certified Firefighter/EMT) . I have a BA in Fire & Management. I am also in the process of trying to get into OCS to become a Marine Corp Reserve Officer. Will my job be protected after the fire academy, with the title of Probationary firefighter if I choose to join and go to OCS (Officer Candidate School) or TBS (The Basic School)? Should I wait until my probationary period for HFD to end in order to join the reserve? Will the city compensate me in anyway if i decide to join by choice rather than already being in the military and being activated? I know that FDNY pays a full month of salary, allow the exhaust of all vacation days and then payout half your monthly salary if you are already in the reserve. I am unfortunately not in the reserve and have no prior service experience. Slow and steady!! But I am curious. All responses are appreciated.

Forum Member

I would wait until your probationary period is up if it was me. Also, once you graduate recruit school just talk to your chain of command, every place is different.
    fire49 likes this.

Forum Member

Wait

You might be taking on to much

What is goal fire dept or career in marines?

Forum Member

I can't speak for HFD but you do know how long it takes to become an officer in the USMC right ? Expect to be gone at least a year. 2.5 months for OCS, 6+ months for TBS and then whatever your MOS school is. They may be accommodating at HFD, but you're undertaking a new career immediately after being hired. Its very different from already being in the reserves and only needed weekends off once a month.

Forum Member

I'd wait. Hell, I dropped into IRR status during my academy/probie year, and then got back onto regular reserves at the end of.

Don't risk getting hurt, on either job, while you are in that status. Just wait.

Forum Member

My goal for HFD is to establish a retirement plan and make it my full time career. My goal with the Marines is to server my country and take advantage of the GI Bill to transfer eligibility of benifits to my unborn child and help sponsor him/her through college. I have one on the way (thinking long term)
    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Wait

You might be taking on to much

What is goal fire dept or career in marines?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    I can't speak for HFD but you do know how long it takes to become an officer in the USMC right ? Expect to be gone at least a year. 2.5 months for OCS, 6+ months for TBS and then whatever your MOS school is. They may be accommodating at HFD, but you're undertaking a new career immediately after being hired. Its very different from already being in the reserves and only needed weekends off once a month.
    Yes, I realize that it will take me roughly a year to complete my training as a Marine Corps Officer, however it will be well worth the sacrifice. The probationary period for HFD is 15 months from the date of hire. The HFD academy duration is 8-9.5 months; i will be out of the academy in by March 2015 and the next 6-7 months will be in the firehouse. The OCS class will then start for me in Jan of 2016, I will enter in at the age of 28.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfutureff View Post
    My goal for HFD is to establish a retirement plan and make it my full time career. My goal with the Marines is to server my country and take advantage of the GI Bill to transfer eligibility of benifits to my unborn child and help sponsor him/her through college. I have one on the way (thinking long term)
    gi bill may not be there when you join

tx has great state schools and fairly affordable. Not sure if Houston has any tuition assistance, might check

Thread Information