Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By slackjawedyokel
  • 1 Post By Miller337

Thread: VFD: The Movie

Forum Member

Default VFD: The Movie

Went to see Noah last night; not going to talk about the theology of it, but it did get me thinking about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. Hence-VFD The Movie
    Probably most of it would be pretty dull, as volunteers go about their daily lives waiting to be needed. But there is enough drama and comedy to make a pretty good flick. What scenes should be included?
    I would go with the first time I was first on scene at a structure. Lots of flames showing, neighbors standing around watching, and me thinking "What am I supposed to do now?!" Maybe bunker out and stretch a line while I'm waitng for the next engine?? Duh..
    Another scene is the 2 am page, roll over and read the information, think about getting up for work in three hours, then struggle to my feet and head out. Swelling hero music in the background.
    I've always thought Harrison Ford should play me in a movie, but lately I more resemble Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips. Who should be cast as you?

Already been done - "Roxanne."

Seriously, though, there is such a wide range of volunteer fire departments that it would be hard to narrow it down. Do you use a really busy fire department, like those in some almost-urban settings, or do you use a really quiet department that runs 40 calls a year?

And, as we've seen with all too many such shows, Hollywood generally makes the firefighting secondary to the soap opera that seems to be the firefighter's lives.

If you think about it, you could almost use some of the scripts from "Emergency," except that the tones would make pagers go off and the volunteers would be seen racing to the station, thence to the emergency. Move some of the in-station side stories to training or meeting night, and those that could play out in someone's kitchen or garage (restoring the British engine) would go there, instead of in the station.

Seems like one episode had something to do with someone preparing (or trying to) a special meal, only to have it interrupted by a call. Happens to volunteers, too.

I give it one season, maybe.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member
    fire49 likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

That's hilarious! I know most of those guys...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    For got about those

Which they did more episodes

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The things that would make for an interesting movie always fall into 2 categories:

1) Stuff too violent, disgusting, sad, gross, or sad, for the public to handle.
    2) Stuff that while 100% true seem unbelievable.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Hmm, don't know how the script would work, but it would have to be Vin Diesel or "The Rock" to play me for sure!

Danny Devito would be able to portray me if he practiced up on his cynicism a bit.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I hate to admit it, but that first episode of "Hosed" happened with the department I'm currently on... It was several years ago (before I was on) and a different chief. Couple guys showed up to the scene for a chimney fire and weren't certified, couldn't drive the truck, etc. Stood around while a mutual aid department handled everything. Things have changed- a lot- since then but we're still fighting that memory (and everything else associated with that "regime").... *sigh*

Thread Information