Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BDRENTH

Thread: Hello!

Forum Member

Default Hello!

Hello from Largo, FL! I am in the beginning stages of pursuing my fire service dream. The academy starts next week! I am very excited to get going and begin my journey. Looking forward to participating in this forum and increasing my knowledge in this industry as i progress through my career.

Thanks all!

Ben D.
    mike_d likes this.

Forum Member

Hi Ben:
    I hope you do well in your career. I am semi retired after 47 years on the job. I began as a volunteer in Illinois, went full time with St. Pete Beach after 12 years, left there went to Lealman as a volunteer for a couple of years, moved to Georgia and retired from the Gwinnett County Fire Services in 2004. I have taught at the National Fire Academy for the past ten years and also have worked part time with the Sandy Springs and Johns Creek Fire Departments in the Fire Marshals' offices as an Inspector.
    So you see you can go a long way for a long time. Keep your nose clean, work hard and learn every day
    Dennis W

Forum Member

Ben,

As a fellow candidate trying to get into the fire service, I would say that it's best to apply to as many departments as you can. It will give you great experience and will help your chances of getting hired. Check out a firefighter job listing site like www.americanfirehire.com. Yes, you have to pay, but their rates are pretty low compared to some of the other job listing sites, its definitely worth the money for the convenience.

Forum Member

good luck!

Hello there, as a guy trying to get started as well I think you will find this site most helpful and encouraging! good luck fellow newbie.

Thread Information