Thread: Nfpa 1906

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1906

Can someone help me ... I am a student of Fire Engineering and Rescue Services on University of Žilina In Slovakia. I am writting a bachalor thesis on topic: Light wildland / brush fire truck for forest fire suppression. Can I ask, If someone know some info about NFPA 1906....

Forum Member

You can read it for free online, it is a little difficult but free

In the front it gives you the history of the document

Just go down to where it says view,,,,, Set up a free account and read away

http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standa...code&code=1906

Forum Member

Not sure what you are looking for it is a standard

NFPA 1906: DOCUMENT SCOPE
    1.1* Scope. This standard defines the requirements for new automotive fire apparatus, including apparatus equipped with a slip-on fire-fighting module, designed primarily to support wildland fire suppression operations.

Forum Member

O.K.

I have had this rant inside for a while so, here goes.

Do not get me wrong when you read this. I am a big believer in standards and sticking to them when they are based on science and/or common sense. It seems just seems like a lot of standards are being set that are needless unless they tend to have some kind of effect on the market.

So, here goes:

In the United States, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), is an organization made up of people with skin in the game. They develop "consensus standards" through panels of representative people from their various perspectives. Often, these standards are given enough credence to be held up in court as, "minimum acceptable standards."

Each "Standard," used to be "Pamplet" is developed by individual panels made up from representatives of all sides of the issue to a point where no given side has a majority. (Try to find a single committee where no insurance company is listed, I dare you.) This has the appearance of independence. Trust me, with the wining and dining that goes on, Schlitz happens.

Amazingly, when one reads the ROPs and such, there are few votes that are not in total agreement. These standards are often used to give citizens a minimum amount of protection in some circumstances and to wreak total overkill in others. They are also used to solicit funds, impose taxes, and reduce competition. Not to mention, you can't even get the written rules without having to pay for them in the first place.

Pretty screwy sounding isn't it?

All of this is accomplished without major input or sponsorship from federal government. The mind boggles at the thought of what would happen in that event. So, as much as I really hate to admit it, thank the heavens for NFPA.

There is a really simple way that all of this could be changed. NFPA is a membership organization. Anyone can join. Everyone gets a vote. Join and get involved in the particular publications you care about. First, read the current document to the point of memory and then start reading the proposals and recommendations. Note how those submissions are made. Fill out the forms and make your voice heard.

The real key is that you have to be ready to attend the important meetings held in exotic places to really count. You can't dissent to the funded elite unless you are willing to pay to be there. Otherwise you are just a nasty email or letter. (Edit to add snark: All of those people get paid to be there and their expenses are paid.)

Following their normal process will result in a printed document noting your written request and a reply telling the world they have other things in mind, as a rule. However, if several hundred were to come in on a particular subject, the main body will start to get worried. Seriously, read the extraneous documents from the process. They are all publicly available. Just register with NFPA to read them. Join to be involved.

And, don't forget, it isn't just firefighting. Go to http://www.nfpa.org and read all of the titles. It will take more than firefighters and those of us who supply them, those people we cover are also involved. Chances are that most of them have never even heard of NFPA.
    Last edited by firepundit; 04-01-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling, snark, spelling, spelling

Forum Member

Looking for some specifications that I could use as a criterion for choosing the right vehicle. Some parameters which must satisfy the brush truck. So I could justify the choice of the vehicle, as in Slovakia, these vehicles are not used and therefore we do not have such standards, which would give me determine some parameters. In my thesis I create a draft of such a vehicle for extinguishing forest fires. And so I want to ask you for some information, experience respectively technical data that would help me in choosing.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can gather a lot by looking for information on what's already out there and comparing it to what you perceive to be your needs.

The US NIMS system has "typing" for apparatus: http://www.fema.gov/media-library-da...urces_2005.pdf. Look for the table "Engine - Pumper."

If you search the web for each "type," you'll find ample information (and pictures) about them.

I found a PPT someone put together: http://www.fdsoa.org/2011_apparatus_...20Wildland.pdf.

Type 6 trucks are relatively common in my area - we need something to deal with fairly small incidents that often occur in fields, not forests. Larger apparatus is generally found in the west.

Ours is a Ford F550 4WD with a four door cab and utility body, and has a "skid" with a 250 gallon tank and a 250GPM Diesel pump. It also runs MVAs and EMS calls. The wheelbase is a tad long for serious "off-roading," but it's good for what we do.

One exception is the Cape Cod "Brushbreakers." They may exist elsewhere, but they are very popular along the Massachusetts seashore. You can search for them.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

This page might have some useful information for you:

Roscommon Equipment Center

My department uses converted military trucks, and we have retrofitted all of ours ourselves. They will handle most terrain very well, run over fairly large trees, and hold a lot of water. Those type of trucks are very popular around here.

Thread Information