Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Eng34FF

Thread: Should a Junior call 911, or investigate a possible call?

Forum Member

Default Should a Junior call 911, or investigate a possible call?

So once again, a junior at my station was driving through our local. While he was driving through, he saw smoke and decided to investigate. He located the source was behind a house. Once he found the source, he called 911 and our company responded since it was our local. The chief got ****ed at the kid since the kid investigated the call without calling 911, but at the same time, the junior told the chief he didn't want to make the company have to come out to investigate and it be nothing. The chief responded by saying that he would be ****ed if a junior called him out to a fire dept investigation and then found nothing. So since the chief seems to get ****ed both ways, which should I advise him to do in the feature, should he call 911 from the start, or should he just repeat what he did this time and investigate himself?

Let's talk fire trucks!

By delaying notification to the 911 center, you may have allowed something that was on fire (and shouldn't be) to grow in size until you could find it. As a junior member, you don't have the training or experience to "investigate" on your own - place a phone call and let the senior members handle it.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I'll explain that to the junior and I will show him what you said on here if I have to. Thanks

Forum Member

I'll explain that to the junior and I will show him what you said on here if I have to. Thanks Chief

Forum Member

Having spent a few years in PA and seeing the amount of smoke coming from behind houses due to properly burning leaves in fire pits....I'd investigate it first also. In the small town I was in, it was a common occurrence just about every single day for a few months each year to have multiple smoke columns around town.

Now, in my hometown that I live in now....it's pretty rare occurrence, so I may be more apt to call 911 before investigating.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

It depends on what you mean by "investigate". We've had dozens of smoke scares over the years where somebody sees smoke from their kitchen window, calls 911, and goes back to the TV. In those cases, I wish they would have at least looked around a little bit.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

He does what he thinks is right, although I prefer to call right away to get a help, if that is a possible fire matter. Calling the emergency 911 seems to be more appropriate in an urgent situation to investigate and to monitoring the place.
    Last edited by jaysoncalwell; 04-22-2014 at 04:00 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pennfirefighter View Post
    So once again, a junior at my station was driving through our local. While he was driving through, he saw smoke and decided to investigate. He located the source was behind a house. Once he found the source, he called 911 and our company responded since it was our local. The chief got ****ed at the kid since the kid investigated the call without calling 911, but at the same time, the junior told the chief he didn't want to make the company have to come out to investigate and it be nothing. The chief responded by saying that he would be ****ed if a junior called him out to a fire dept investigation and then found nothing. So since the chief seems to get ****ed both ways, which should I advise him to do in the feature, should he call 911 from the start, or should he just repeat what he did this time and investigate himself?
    To me it sounds like his investigation was only to better locate the source. A 911 call that there is smoke behind 123 main street is better than a call saying I see a smoke column somewhere to the south of main street and elm. I agree that a junior might not have enough knowledge to really investigate, but calling in a smoke column can send the fire department on a wild goose chase as well. In some areas a smoke column that looks close can be several miles away and actually be in a different first due. i don't think I would have a problem with how it was handled.
    mwtetreault and whacker1 like this.

Thread Information