Like Tree3Likes

Thread: City of Aurora, CO 2014 (Entry / Lateral)

MembersZone Subscriber

I have everything scheduled for tomorrow because I'm an out of towner from Illinois. Got poly at 8AM then the WSA then the Psych in the afternoon. As far as I know once you turn your background papers in they start working em, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jkester View Post
    I have everything scheduled for tomorrow because I'm an out of towner from Illinois. Got poly at 8AM then the WSA then the Psych in the afternoon. As far as I know once you turn your background papers in they start working em, but I'm not 100% certain on that.
    Good luck today. The process have been going pretty smooth and fast so I am assuming we will be hearing something soon. Maybe they are waiting until they get all the information from the poly, wsa, jsa, and background packet before they start. I guess I will have to be patient.

Forum Member

It seems like a large number are going through the background process. If a large number pass the background how do they determine who offers go out to?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug2 View Post
    It seems like a large number are going through the background process. If a large number pass the background how do they determine who offers go out to?
    That is where the priority number comes into play. They will give people conditional and final offers based on their priority number.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the well wishes. I think everything went well except one of the poly questions where I got nervous for no reason and I saw him mark it, then because I didn't want to screw it up again, I ended up triggering the same question on the second round because I knew he marked it once already. I don't foresee it being a problem as I explained the situation but even with experience in Poly's, it can still get you a bit nervous for nothing.

I also asked the HR ladies at the front desk and she said that the results from the JSA/WSA stuff should be done in a week or two after you complete them, and after that they will do the Backgrounds in order of Priority number, as James mentioned. However they are also doing the LE backgrounds for all those hires as well, so it could be a month or two for the whole thing (including background) to be squared away, or at least that's what she told me. Who knows for sure though.

Forum Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I think everything went well except one of the poly questions where I got nervous for no reason and I saw him mark it, then because I didn't want to screw it up again, I ended up triggering the same question on the second round because I knew he marked it once already. I don't foresee it being a problem as I explained the situation but even with experience in Poly's, it can still get you a bit nervous for nothing.

I also asked the HR ladies at the front desk and she said that the results from the JSA/WSA stuff should be done in a week or two after you complete them, and after that they will do the Backgrounds in order of Priority number, as James mentioned. However they are also doing the LE backgrounds for all those hires as well, so it could be a month or two for the whole thing (including background) to be squared away, or at least that's what she told me. Who knows for sure though.
    I saw him mark a few things during my poloygraph so I hope thay doesn't mean anything. He didn't really try to get me to clarify anything and I was not nearly as nervous for this poly as the last 2 that I did. I guess time will tell. I am sure if their are any questions it will come up in the background.

MembersZone Subscriber

Huh, interesting. Well I guess we'll see what happens. Best of luck to ya.

On a side note, anyone know/can confirm that there is no Chief's oral/oral board? I find it strange that I've not seen anything regarding an interview in either of those fashions.

Forum Member

Huh, interesting. Well I guess we'll see what happens. Best of luck to ya.

On a side note, anyone know/can confirm that there is no Chief's oral/oral board? I find it strange that I've not seen anything regarding an interview in either of those fashions.
    According to the flow chart the next step is backgrounds and then the background investigator will write up a summary report which will be sent to the commission for final approval. After that the commission approves by majority if the candidate geta a conditional offer. Then you do the post offer psych, medical and drug screening. So there is never any mention of oral boards at all.

Forum Member

From my experience in the process, from my understanding that there are only Chief interviews for the people going through the Lateral Process. The Civil Service Commission does all the hiring from the "no" experience firefighter pool. When I did my polygraph they asked me to clarify one question and that was about Drugs, which I have only tried once way back in High School. The question he wanted clarification on was a total surprise to me. Just be ready for your In Home Background Investigator interview it's pretty intimidating. They will ask to see your facebook's as well as any other social networking website you might have, while they are on them they send printouts back to their office. Good Luck everyone, just remember if you make it this far and the CSC fails you, you are banned for 2 years from applying.

MembersZone Subscriber

They sure do take this process seriously. Any insight on what else the home interview is about outside of the normal "who are you" and "show me your life on facebook/etc"?

My number is 15 so I'm guessing as long as the JSA stuff went well, I'll hopefully have the background started fairly soon. Would like to gather as much info as I can so I'm not totally blindsided.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the turnaround time between doing the JSA interview and receiving further word, options to sign up for polygraph and so forth?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 45gggh View Post
    Does anyone know the turnaround time between doing the JSA interview and receiving further word, options to sign up for polygraph and so forth?
    I received an email the next business day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug2 View Post
    I received an email the next business day.

Ok, thank you

Forum Member

Any Laterals get an email about doing PSA?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know a guy who was going Lateral who said he has yet to hear anything back. So you're not alone if you are wondering when they are contacting you folks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else get word they passed the JSA? They sent me an e-mail yesterday saying I had passed and that when they start doing backgrounds, it will be conducted in order of the lottery number for each candidate (obviously). However, they haven't yet started backgrounds but they hope to have people notified by early September for the October academy.

Forum Member

Anyone else get word they passed the JSA? They sent me an e-mail yesterday saying I had passed and that when they start doing backgrounds, it will be conducted in order of the lottery number for each candidate (obviously). However, they haven't yet started backgrounds but they hope to have people notified by early September for the October academy.
    I got news that I passed the jsa the day after I had it. Jkester have you taken the polygraph yet? I took mine a week ago. My priority number is 7 and I still have not heard anything on the background interview. I hope it is soon though!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, had my poly on the same day that I did everything else because I'm an out-of-towner. HR lady was saying it might be a hot minute on the Background stuff, only reason she told me that was because I emailed em. I guess the out-of-state folks will get a phone interview and those in state will get a knock on the door, or that's how they are making it sound anyway. I'm desperately hoping I make it in to the October Academy. You're the first I've heard from that is in the top 15, I'm secretly hoping at least a few decide they don't want it so I can get in. Hah!

Forum Member

When I went through the last process I did my polygraph, then they did a phone interview with a background investigator. After that they came to my house and interviewed me and my girlfriend. I was an out of State tester. I was told my the background investigator they go to the homes of everyone that pass all the tests. The week before my in home interview they were out in California as well as Arizona. Btw I was lottery number 11 on the list in Band B.
    Last edited by FireMedic0227; 06-03-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Add Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah well good to know then. This is what the e-mail said, "Once we reach your priority number, you’d have a phone interview with the investigator since you are out of state. Then the investigator would build your background file which would then be submitted to the Commission for review". So, at least now I know to keep the house nice and tidy. heh.

Where do you fall this time around on the Lottery/Band FireMedic?
    Last edited by Jkester; 06-03-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Add Info

Forum Member

Anybody know what their auto disqualifiers are, pay salary increase, etc.. Or know where to find that kind of info? I got email this week about filling out PSH as a Lateral.. Somewhat excited id say..TY
    Last edited by FireMuscleMan21; 06-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Forum Member

If you don't get hired and the Civil Service says no to you, you get banned for 2 years from applying. I have since been hired by another department in my current state.

Forum Member

A guy I volunteer with was recently hired off B band. He's two weeks out of the Academy and says it's awesome.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMuscleMan21 View Post
    Anybody know what their auto disqualifiers are, pay salary increase, etc.. Or know where to find that kind of info? I got email this week about filling out PSH as a Lateral.. Somewhat excited id say..TY
    The Civil Service Commission has a lot of that on their website

https://www.auroragov.org/CityHall/W...ment/index.htm

Forum Member

Anyone know how long the JSA and polygraph take??

Thread Information