Like Tree3Likes

Thread: City of Aurora, CO 2014 (Entry / Lateral)

MembersZone Subscriber

Poly was about an hour and a half, and it really kind of depends on if you have any questions and how effectively you work with the polygrapher. Really the first hour is him going over the functionality of the test as well as some basic information. The questioning doesn't last that long.

The JSA took about 30 minutes (once you actually go in and see her), again depending on how well you work with the Pysch lady. I could see how it would easily take an hour if there were a lot of questions on both parties side however.

My whole process took about 5 hours, including driving time between sites and the wait time for people to be ready and what not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMuscleMan21 View Post
    Anybody know what their auto disqualifiers are, pay salary increase, etc.. Or know where to find that kind of info? I got email this week about filling out PSH as a Lateral.. Somewhat excited id say..TY
    If you look at the Aurora Civil Service Commission website you can find a document that they have that lists what they can deny you employment for. I will search for it and post it if I can find it at a later date.

Here is the link to the disqualifications for Aurara Civil Service. Its Under section 9. https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/007353.pdf
    Last edited by FireMedic0227; 06-09-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added a Link

Forum Member

I just got an email advising that the October academy has been moved to January 11th and they should start background interviews in September. Looks like the waiting game begins!!!
    colorado_fire likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic0227 View Post
    If you look at the Aurora Civil Service Commission website you can find a document that they have that lists what they can deny you employment for. I will search for it and post it if I can find it at a later date.

Here is the link to the disqualifications for Aurara Civil Service. Its Under section 9. https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/007353.pdf
    Wow thanks a ton that was a great read... So since you seem to be so good a locating things, you know where pension/pay/and benefit info is located? Thanks again Medic

Forum Member

That is one thing I never found.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think* this is the pension website http://www.fppaco.org/toc_frames.html -- would need someone to confirm for certain, but as far as I've read this seems to be overseeing pension source for most of CO.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jkester View Post
    I think* this is the pension website http://www.fppaco.org/toc_frames.html -- would need someone to confirm for certain, but as far as I've read this seems to be overseeing pension source for most of CO.
    That looks like it, I'm 99% sure they use the FPPA Defined benefit plan.

Forum Member

News on Laterals, over 300 applications and was told they took top 30 in their eyes and starting the process w them..

Forum Member

Wow thanks a ton that was a great read... So since you seem to be so good a locating things, you know where pension/pay/and benefit info is located? Thanks again Medic
    There is a lot of information on the union website - www.aurorafirefighters.org. Because of new contract negotiations, salaries will increase slightly next year.

Union Contract and Pay Scale links on the left. Yes AFD is FPPA Defined Benefit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found this in the Minutes from the May commission meeting. Interesting read for all the candidates hoping to get into the first Academy. https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/019865.pdf

Cliff notes: HR says there is only going to be a need for 4 entry level candidates in the first Academy, which was originally slated for October, but is now obviously scheduled for January. So, assuming that nothing changes, then naturally they would still only be looking for 4 new guys to fulfill the now January academy. Additionally, there is no known number for how many they hope to use on the following academy.

Forum Member

Found this in the Minutes from the May commission meeting. Interesting read for all the candidates hoping to get into the first Academy. https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/019865.pdf

Cliff notes: HR says there is only going to be a need for 4 entry level candidates in the first Academy, which was originally slated for October, but is now obviously scheduled for January. So, assuming that nothing changes, then naturally they would still only be looking for 4 new guys to fulfill the now January academy. Additionally, there is no known number for how many they hope to use on the following academy.
    Talked w a Captain last week and she said # was 12, half and half.. But that could be retirements by January so was not a bad idea to assume a few more...

Forum Member

News on Laterals, over 300 applications and was told they took top 30 in their eyes and starting the process w them..
    Applications close on July 18th, but they've already selected the "Top 30" to start the process with??? How does that work and why would anyone even apply at this point if that's the case?

MembersZone Subscriber

They plan on putting two academies together with the entry level list. If they maintain the same lateral list for the second academy as well, then one would venture to guess if you don't get in on the first thirty, there's a chance for the second thirty?

Forum Member

Still seems odd.

And it may have been answered already but what are the tentative date for academies?

Also, are the entry levels and laterals combined into one academy class or different?

Forum Member

Its all done in the same class.

Forum Member

So, what's the benefit (to the city even) of having a Lateral program?? It doesn't shorten the academy for them (i.e. Saves the city money) and it looks like they are on the same pay/promotion scale.

What's the upside? What am I missing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Less lateral applicants than entry level, and not as many parts to the lateral application process.

Forum Member

A friend that went through recently said that he heard back from the dept. about a week after his polygraph. I just took mine today and am wondering if anyone has taken and heard back from the department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Bourbonstreet View Post
    A friend that went through recently said that he heard back from the dept. about a week after his polygraph. I just took mine today and am wondering if anyone has taken and heard back from the department.
    I was sent an email June 11th that said the backgrounds would start around September since the academy was postponed until January. However I am not in the lateral process so they may be doing something different for the laterals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by James004 View Post
    I was sent an email June 11th that said the backgrounds would start around September since the academy was postponed until January. However I am not in the lateral process so they may be doing something different for the laterals.
    The Captain I talked to about the Lateral process said she was out of town last 2 weeks so for those who sent in PHS should maybe hear something back about polygraphs in next week or 2 maybe..
    But assume they are same as entry level and the process will now be delayed till end of summer I would think..

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know what the situation with new hires who have paramedic already is for Aurora. I've heard of some cities placing you straight on the Rescue and you stay there for quite a while if you come straight in with EMTP. Just curious if how Aurora deals with that and if it affects the way people get assigned should they get hired. Thanks

Forum Member

You will go thru probation just like any other new hire. After that you will go thru a field instructor program to be certified as a medic in the city. As for getting put on a rescue, it depends who you talk to because it's a new program.

Forum Member

Aurora Does NOT transport, its done by Rural Metro and a few other Private Ambulance companies. Unless something has changed in a year since I went through the process.
    Last edited by FireMedic0227; 07-06-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added more words

MembersZone Subscriber

Sweet Thanks. That's nice that they don't transport....in the sense that it keeps people from being stuck on the bus forever.

Forum Member

Sweet Thanks. That's nice that they don't transport....in the sense that it keeps people from being stuck on the bus forever.
    Their system is weird though. Since the fire department has medical control, fire medics will often ride in on critical / interesting calls and be followed by their respective rig.

Thread Information