Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SAFER Question

Forum Member

Default SAFER Question

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum site, however I have been reading daily lately. Just a question regarding the SAFER grants..... Our career dept was awarded a SAFER grant in 2007. The Governing Body decided to decline the grant. Since then we have applied in 2011 (denied), 2012 (denied) and 2013 (still waiting, however no 1199 yet).

Is the fact that the Governing Body declined the 2007 grant playing a part in our recent denials? Also, is it still possible to receive an 1199 for the 2013 SAFER? We applied under attrition.
    Thanks, any clarification would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Reviewers don't know that you applied and then were turned down, all they're checking is the current app against the guidelines.

DHS will see that the powers that be turned it down 7 years ago, but that's why they ask for those resolutions or letters to be sent in saying that they support the app now and will fund it if awarded.

Declining the 2007 had nothing to do with the prior denials, it's all about the app at the time. Since I don't know the situation but have seen it a lot with municipal departments, there might be a difference between the number of FFs needed and the number being asked for. Can't ask for 12 showing that 24 is what will bring the department into compliance, just like showing all you need is 12 and asking for 24 will spell "denial". Many cities like the idea, but can't commit to funding as many as needed so the application is for what gets approved, not what is needed. If you can't afford as many as will bring you into compliance, then either no sense applying or sell how applying for the number being asked for is the perfect fit for the department.

While peer reviewers may not see the refusal of a former grant: You can be sure that higher ups in the food chain in making awards certainly do. they will also know that after spending all their precious time on the management of the prior award it was turned down.

Makes me think that chances of further awards are affected.
    I know : never apply logic to the government mindset.

Forum Member

There's only management if it's accepted, otherwise it's a blip that pops up. If they turned it down prior to award then there was little done. I have and know of a few that have turned down prior SAFER and AFG awards because of financial conditions and picked them back up shortly afterwards. Had to jump through more hoops to prove they'd fulfill the 2nd award attempt, but otherwise there's no issue.

Plus like we were talking about in the other thread, the scoring threshold keeps going up in all programs. The score that worked in 2007 might be too low, and if no changes or changing good things into bad things after being turned down is what happened to their app then their score would get worse and out of the funding zone by even more. I've seen people take solid apps and pick them apart when they didn't get funded instead of just sticking them back in again. Especially SAFER, had 2 from 2010 that were early denials and became 1st round 2011s with nothing but date and run count updates. Solid is solid, even if it isn't funded the first time. Especially rings true with truck apps.

Forum Member

I appreciate the responses regarding this topic. Thanks to the both of you. Still holding out hope the 1199 will pop up for this one.

FY 2009 SAFER CLOSEOUT MODULE
    Grant closeout report forms are now available for completion in the e-Grants system for FY2009 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) awardees (EMW-2009-XX-XXXXX) who have reached the end of the period of performance. For FY 2009 SAFER awardees that are still within their period of performance, you will have 90 days after the end of the period of performance to submit the closeout report.

Failure to submit the closeout report by the due date will affect the department’s ability to obtain reimbursements on all current grants as well as receive future funding under the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG).

NOTE: The closeout forms for FY 2010 SAFER cannot be completed online at this time. Paper closeout forms are available for SAFER grantees FY 2005 through FY 2008 (EMW-2008-XX-XXXXX). To request a SAFER closeout package for FY 2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008 contact the Help Desk at 1-866-274-0960 (by e-mail: firegrants@fema.dhs.gov).
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information