Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 707_Volunteer

Thread: Physical Agility for a beginner.

Forum Member

Default Physical Agility for a beginner.

Hey guys I'm Michael, first post!

Recently moved to a small town with a volunteer fire department in Northern California. Exploring the neighborhood with the wife and kids one day, I stumbled upon the fire station and talked with a few guys. My wife and I ended up turning in applications.Fast forward 3 months we had essentially forgotten about this when we got a letter in the mail for the Physical Agility Test. The letter was pretty vague so I googled stuff and came upon the CPAT information. The test date was only 3 days out from the day we got the letter, so we had little time to get ready.

The Day of the test it hailed and poured rain, so it was cancelled. However I was able to get some literature from the Chief about the test. It appears to be a variation of the CPAT I guess, so not exactly what I was thinking but looks a little less intimidating actually. Literature stated first time applicants had 15 minutes to complete the course. Do you guys have any tips for someone with ZERO fire experience? I am a tow truck operator as my full time gig and that can at times be moderately demanding however neither of us 'work out' per say, my wife however is a stay at home mom with a desire to serve. So we're just looking for some pointers or advice you may all have to offer.

My goal would be to become a fully certified firefighter/emt, while my wife is more interested in the EMS side. Ive lurked for awhile and now finally have a reason to create an account and post, thank you for your time!

Forum Member

You might see if they will give you some hands on, so you know what to expect.

If they are truly looking for people, they should be willing to help. Just tell them straight up all this is new and I do not even know which end of the hose to use

Are you in some physical shape, do you do any walking or running?

Forum Member

I do not believe I am out of shape, but I do not work out. I am 5'6, 155 and 29 years old. I don't walk but I'm constantly on the move at work, loading/unloading vehicles, vehicle recoveries as you can relate are physically involved moving equipment around.

I did get some paperwork from them after probing a little bit, describing each stations event. From there I used YouTube to locate some videos that show essentially what I should be doing. I will keep you guys posted.

On a side note, I just had my physical exam today for my California commercial drivers medical card and my blood pressure was a little higher than I would have liked, but passed no problem.

Forum Member

Passed my physical agility test yesterday, would much rather have done it last week in the rain versus the 80 degree heat! But I passed under 6 minutes with a possible 9 minutes available to complete. Hope to hear from the Asst. Chief today about background and drug testing.
    fire49 and FF-Andy like this.

Forum Member

Sounds great

Sounds like you need to do a little more walking or running

Forum Member

I am currently taking suggestions for a good detox and beginners workout routine. Looking forward to getting into better shape. It's been a lifelong dream, so I owe it to myself.

These are a few pics of me during my PAT courtesy of A FF for the District who was taking them.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.7 KB
Views: 181
Size:  46.1 KB
Views: 182
Size:  32.4 KB
Views: 181
Size:  39.5 KB

Forum Member

So how did you do??
    As for your BP, watch your diet, cut down on salt, and try and get some cardio in 2-3 times a week. Even 30 min. on a treadmill or elliptical will make a difference. Good luck!

Forum Member

Under 6 minutes, I believe 5:44 was my time.

Thread Information