Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 2013 1199As - Let the party begin!

MembersZone Subscriber

Even though your SAM.gov maybe complete and current the info has to match the info for your 1199A form as well. Received a phone call from DC. The addresses did not match up. A quick update to the SAM.gov account by the town treasurer and we were awarded the following week.

Forum Member

Thanks. I had to complete an update as well because SAM.gov was correct and old information in the system was incorrect. I received confirmation of this information.....hoping for round 4. I see an award number on my 1199A form.

Forum Member

Found 2 Update 1199As both for Ops (SCBA) with emails dated today, not sure if they posted last night and emailed today or all done at once today. Might be back to the rolling out throughout the day routine.

Forum Member

Found a compressor that came along in the last hour or so.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found one for hose that was not there this morning; all the way out on West Coast in Washington.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Found an 1199a with letter at 4pm for a new Ambulance!! Time for a SHOT!
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Nice hit! They are elusive!!!

FD or Non-Affiliated EMS?

Forum Member

VFD - Thanks, Sly!

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Nice hit! They are elusive!!!

FD or Non-Affiliated EMS?
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    Found an 1199a with letter at 4pm for a new Ambulance!! Time for a SHOT!
    Congrats on that one. They are as hard to find as hens teeth.
    McMechen VFD likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found 2 last night, were not there Sunday: Just shy of 1 Million Dollars for a regional radio grant and 25K micro for rescue tools.!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well found two more already this morning that were not there at 4:00PM yesterday. First timer for turnout gear and an SCBA grant.
    McMechen VFD likes this.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Too bad you like that aged stuff Kurt i would line you up a shot of the fresh stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Well found two more already this morning that were not there at 4:00PM yesterday. First timer for turnout gear and an SCBA grant.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    Too bad you like that aged stuff Kurt i would line you up a shot of the fresh stuff..
    You mean something like this? Name:  JD Unaged Rye Batch 1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  59.7 KB
    McMechen VFD likes this.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Can anyone telle what the 2013 priorities were as it relates to Vehicle replacement for rural departments. Also what were the priorities for EMS equipment.

Forum Member

Rural Vehicle priorities:

• Pumper
    • Ambulance
    • Brush-Attack
    • Tanker-Tender
    • Aerial

Additional Considerations:

• Additional consideration will be given to departments that have automatic aid agreements, mutual aid agreements, or both
    • Replacement of open cab/jump seat configurations
    • Age of the vehicle being replaced; older equipment receive higher consideration
    • Age of the newest vehicle in the department’s fleet that is like the vehicle to be replaced
    • Average age of the fleet; older equipment within the same class
    • Converted vehicles not designed or intended for use in the fire service

The EMS Equipment question you pose is a bit more complicated -- do you mean FD Based EMS or Non-Affiliated EMS?

MembersZone Subscriber

SmithMD have you ever read the FOA for the 2013 AFG. Most every single question you are asking is answered within that document. Here is a copy for you:

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-da...GRAM+-+FOA.pdf

Hope this helps!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Yes, fire based EMS. Our department was in need of 2 new monitors (current ones were 10+ years old) and several AED'S. In addition we applied for 27 sets of turn out gear to replace 15 year old sets. This is my first time writing grants and I am wondering if priorities are high enough to be considered.

I also asked for funding to replace a 78 year old open cab engine that is still being used as a front line, second due truck for area's with hydrants. Yes our department is VERY rural!

Here's to hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Rural Vehicle priorities:

• Pumper
    • Ambulance
    • Brush-Attack
    • Tanker-Tender
    • Aerial

Additional Considerations:

• Additional consideration will be given to departments that have automatic aid agreements, mutual aid agreements, or both
    • Replacement of open cab/jump seat configurations
    • Age of the vehicle being replaced; older equipment receive higher consideration
    • Age of the newest vehicle in the department’s fleet that is like the vehicle to be replaced
    • Average age of the fleet; older equipment within the same class
    • Converted vehicles not designed or intended for use in the fire service

The EMS Equipment question you pose is a bit more complicated -- do you mean FD Based EMS or Non-Affiliated EMS?

Forum Member

Kurt,

Yes I have read them, however I have been told by others that the guidelines aren't routinely followed by the AFG. That's why I asked these questions for purposes of clarification and to establish whether or not the process truly does go by the book.

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    SmithMD have you ever read the FOA for the 2013 AFG. Most every single question you are asking is answered within that document. Here is a copy for you:

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-da...GRAM+-+FOA.pdf

Hope this helps!

Forum Member

Not sure who you heard that from. Now if people are trying to say that lower priority projects get funded from others when the people saying that are asking for PPE, take that with a grain of salt. PPE apps get turned down every year because they aren't competitive for numerous reasons, just like lower priority projects get approved every year because they are written well and properly justified. Choosing higher priority projects helps in the computer scoring but even the top computer score can get tanked by a poorly written narrative. Each is half the score so a narrative score of 20 with a computer score of 100 gets you a 60 and not funded.

Forum Member

Well, another year and another award for our department. Thanks Kurt! We couldn't have done it without your help. Glad to see you are coming out to the west coast for a seminar.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes like BC79er said, whoever told you that is well "full of it", AFG, by law, must follow their own guidelines or they must report to congress why they are not following their own guidelines.That is why I am always telling people that those that follow the guidelines the closest, are usually the ones who get funded the most often. Trust me when I say that in 99.9% of the cases, follow the book. The number one reason for a grant being rejected in any program, is failure to follow the directions and the directions are in the FOA.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 05-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firechief56 View Post
    Well, another year and another award for our department. Thanks Kurt! We couldn't have done it without your help. Glad to see you are coming out to the west coast for a seminar.
    Jim thank you and as always I am glad to be of service to you folks up there in Whatcom County, WA. I believe now that every single attendee in your class there a couple years ago has been funded now. That is remarkable. I am looking forward to being in LaConner WA at Skagit Co FD #13 on May 31-Jun 1st teaching again.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Found a 1099 update on Monday that wasnt there Friday. Then recieved a call from our Congressmans office letting me know that they just submitted a second letter of recomendation for us today. I had not heard of that before but we always asked and have recieved letters from the office when we asked for them in the past. It sounds promising. If so that will be 21 SCBA and a RIT pack to replace our 3 standard old units.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SmithMD View Post
    Yes, fire based EMS. Our department was in need of 2 new monitors (current ones were 10+ years old) and several AED'S. In addition we applied for 27 sets of turn out gear to replace 15 year old sets. This is my first time writing grants and I am wondering if priorities are high enough to be considered.

I also asked for funding to replace a 78 year old open cab engine that is still being used as a front line, second due truck for area's with hydrants. Yes our department is VERY rural!

Here's to hoping!
    Soon after a peer reviewer is chosen, they get a link to do a study program on the program, how to grade, and what the guidelines from the FOA are. Conflict of interest is also addressed.

As soon as a first time reviewer arrives for peer review, they are given a book that again goes over all of that again.

Then comes time where all of it is stressed before the actual grading in a class.

Finally, you have at least two other people - that you probably will not know, and changes constantly, review the same apps that you review. 6-8 people at the table, you grade an app, place it back in the rack, someone else grabs it. Grades don't come close to agreement, then you review.

Each day the people at the table change.

Pretty much impossible to go outside of the guidelines through all that.

BUT, I can tell you this, I am going to wonder why a department in Ohio is still running a 1936 engine in any capacity except for parade. I know Ohio. I know poor. I know really poor - departments covering 200 square miles, with a budget of under $6,500.00 a year, paying their own insurance, workmens comp, fuel, electric, maintenance, equipment, etc. Yours is the first department I ever heard of that runs such an old engine as a front line vehicle. Not calling you a liar, but on an app it would cause me to wonder.

Wondering would include why has it not been replaced if it is being run. Being a poor department is one thing, but not doing any planning, or begging for that matter is another.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 05-14-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Forum Member

We received Official Notice from our Senator's Office yesterday, we indeed will get a Micro Grant for hose. Just over $25,000
    Our 1199a popped up about 2 weeks ago, never thought we’d get the official notice so soon.

Thread Information