Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 2013 1199As - Let the party begin!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Soon after a peer reviewer is chosen, they get a link to do a study program on the program, how to grade, and what the guidelines from the FOA are. Conflict of interest is also addressed.

As soon as a first time reviewer arrives for peer review, they are given a book that again goes over all of that again.

Then comes time where all of it is stressed before the actual grading in a class.

Finally, you have at least two other people - that you probably will not know, and changes constantly, review the same apps that you review. 6-8 people at the table, you grade an app, place it back in the rack, someone else grabs it. Grades don't come close to agreement, then you review.

Each day the people at the table change.

Pretty much impossible to go outside of the guidelines through all that.

BUT, I can tell you this, I am going to wonder why a department in Ohio is still running a 1936 engine in any capacity except for parade. I know Ohio. I know poor. I know really poor - departments covering 200 square miles, with a budget of under $6,500.00 a year, paying their own insurance, workmens comp, fuel, electric, maintenance, equipment, etc. Yours is the first department I ever heard of that runs such an old engine as a front line vehicle. Not calling you a liar, but on an app it would cause me to wonder.

Wondering would include why has it not been replaced if it is being run. Being a poor department is one thing, but not doing any planning, or begging for that matter is another.

I personally am not sure of the politics involved or why things have or haven't been accomplished. I am the "new guy" who moved to the area from a different state. Its like I am literally taking a huge step back in time, almost like progress has completely passed this department by. I'm still learning the ropes of the department, and based upon what I understand this truck is still due in hydranted areas only. Its fully insured and has taken runs in the not to distant past. I decided to write the grant to quickly fix this problem. I only hope that it doesn't do any unrealized harm.

Forum Member

New Update 1199A for 1st timer (SCBA), with no email so was posted sometime this morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing here yet today. Maybe later today will check after 4:30.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Just for a Micro Grant 1199a for Gear also a past winner of gear that needed a few sets for new members.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Also FYI 2 years in a row we have had washer extractors cut from from an application with Gear and just the gear awarded (2 different Departments) our guess is no longer a high priority? Thoughts?
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Found a compressor for the Pacific NW also, posted on View link from prior award.

Haven't had a single washer or dryer removed ever, got 5-6 last year included with the PPE when warranted. Don't ask for them in every PPE app but haven't had an issue with them being pulled. Very odd, especially when it's a long way/delay when getting PPE cleaned. If a neighboring department has a set or they don't have to travel 20+ miles each way PR might not see it as a need. Most of the ones we do are hour each way to a the closest department with one or several days out of service if a vendor has to do them.

Forum Member

No we covered all those areas, we won one a few years back on a grant by its self. we are scratching our heads on this Brian. Both have been for a washer and cabinet dryer. Oh well thankful for the gear!

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Found a compressor for the Pacific NW also, posted on View link from prior award.

Haven't had a single washer or dryer removed ever, got 5-6 last year included with the PPE when warranted. Don't ask for them in every PPE app but haven't had an issue with them being pulled. Very odd, especially when it's a long way/delay when getting PPE cleaned. If a neighboring department has a set or they don't have to travel 20+ miles each way PR might not see it as a need. Most of the ones we do are hour each way to a the closest department with one or several days out of service if a vendor has to do them.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

There ought to be a valid reason why they were removed, also should be able to find out if it was PR that recommended the removal or Tech Review which is the DHS folks. After the award there's the ability to discuss prior to acceptance by clicking the radio button, so make sure they bring it up before they do that otherwise the instant it's accepted they close it out for discussion and move on.

Forum Member

Must have been SCBA day for Illinois, 1st timer earlier is there and found another one on a View Link that's new since noon CST. Progress is a good thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well ran through them again and found a first time SCBA in there that was not there at 11:30AM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

No weekly award list posted but we did get an award today, anyone else?
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Yup........$25,000 Micro Grant here for hose. 05/16/2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    No weekly award list posted but we did get an award today, anyone else?
    Nope. Got our 1199a in the first few groupings, but nothing yet.

Forum Member

I got the email this morning for SCBA but it looks like my unit quantities etc may be off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    There ought to be a valid reason why they were removed, also should be able to find out if it was PR that recommended the removal or Tech Review which is the DHS folks.
    I've had quite a few in the last few years when they separated the panel reviews for PPE/Equipment get cut and the Equipment portion (Washer) didn't make panels while the PPE did.

Forum Member

Yeah that's why I mentioned finding out where the no-fund recommendation came from if possible. Not Peered or Peer recommended removal can't do anything about, but in past years for some reason items were getting cut in Tech Review for no obvious reason after scoring well on both parts. Tech review removals can be discussed at least.

And if washers are getting removed on PPE apps then they need to check the scoring, no reason for those to get split off from the PPE when they're both in the same app.

Forum Member

I did also but because of old information on prior grants the SAM info did not line up. I took care of the problem but I am sure I will be placed in the delayed section. :-(

Forum Member

Are we the only ones who saw a new 2013 award nubr show up on a previous 1199, over a month ago... but still haven't received and email or award yet?
    It's a micro-grant for structural PPE.. and as far as I can tell all of our previous awards were completed cleanly, and reports are done.
    Anyone else in 1199 limbo?
    Last edited by Andy2802; 05-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post
    Are we the only ones who saw a new 2013 award nubr show up on a previous 1199, almost amonth ago... but still haven't received and email or award yet?
    It's a micro-grant for structural PPE.. and as far as I can tell all of our previous awards were completed cleanly, and reports are done.
    Anyone else in 1199 limbo?
    Patience Grasshopper! Plenty of people still in limbo for various reasons. #1 reason for most is that their sam.gov registration is not current so be sure to check and re-check that to be sure it matches up with your DUNS account information exactly.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Still have several pending 1199As from 4/3 with no award yet. No worries.

Forum Member

Finally a PPE first-timer dropped today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Yahoo!

Found the 1199 notice tucked neatly away in a 2002 grant action. No email yet. What's the time lapse been to get the email this year?

Keeping fingers crossed to replace 28 SCBAs and a broken compressor.

Forum Member

Only found 1 but a nice 9 department regional SCBA for a 1st timer at $960k. Earlier than I would have figured on large regionals. Of course they're still using some late 1970s and early 1980s packs on frontline units, up through 1997s across the group. 5 different standards in all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Guy's It's been a long time since I logged in on F.H. forum's and I see some of the same people that helped me over the years are still on here. I have a question please. Has the grant writers allowable fee gone up from 3% to 5% in the last year or so? I am retired now and I have been out of the loop. I read in the local paper that the fire department received a grant for a tanker truck and the new chief said to the city council that they have to pay the grant writer 5% of the grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Hey Guy's It's been a long time since I logged in on F.H. forum's and I see some of the same people that helped me over the years are still on here. I have a question please. Has the grant writers allowable fee gone up from 3% to 5% in the last year or so? I am retired now and I have been out of the loop. I read in the local paper that the fire department received a grant for a tanker truck and the new chief said to the city council that they have to pay the grant writer 5% of the grant.
    There is no set fee schedule for a grant writer. It is whatever a department is willing to spend on the services. IMHO, no department should be paying for a grant writer for the AFG that is based on a % of the project. Departments that use grant writers should use those that charge a flat rate. The time frame for writing a vehicle or operations grant is no different.

What I see here is a grant writer making a killing on the vehicle grant that may bring them between $6-10,000 as their fee. With limited info, it also appears that the department did not request for or was denied reimbursement through the AFG. The AFG will only reimburse fees that are reasonable and that have been paid within 30 days of the closing of the application period.

In addition, any fees that are allowed and paid for by the AFG come out of the funding allotment reducing the number of awards to departments.

Thread Information