Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 2013 1199As - Let the party begin!

Forum Member

Per the FOA: "Fees for grant writers may be included as a pre-award or pre-application expenditure. Fees payable on a contingency basis are not an eligible expense. For grant writer fees to be eligible as a pre-award expenditure, the fees must be specifically identified and listed in the Request Details section of the application."

In other grant programs contingency and/or percentage based fees are actually illegal, meaning that any contracts written with those conditions are unenforceable. Meaning if a writer collects the payment they can and most likely will be charged, not sure with what exactly but theft by deception comes to mind.

Either way both percentage-based and contingency fees are considered unethical by the major grant writing organizations because as Bugle alluded to the work effort is not related to the cost of the project. I've done funded $1mil aerial grants that involved less time than some of the PPE apps that were funded also.

Many moons ago I got involved with the neighboring department of a client because they were awarded and the way the contract they signed was written was that by attending a class taught by this pair of writers they were required to hire them to write their grants for a year and pay them 10% of any awards the day they were awarded. The department was pending on a $200k truck award and they weren't returning the 10Q's to accept the grant because they would owe this set of writers $20k the day they accepted the award. Their annual budget was $16k.

Luckily the contract expired a year after signing so they turned down the award for that year, let it expire, and then reapplied the next cycle. Luckily they were awarded and didn't owe the writers a dime at that point despite an attempt to collect on an expired contract.

All in all, if they signed a contract, lawyers say it's legal, then they owe the fee. I'm not going to tell anyone how to run their business since no one is going to tell me how to run mine, but if anyone has strings attached to their grant writing work that should be the sign to walk away and find someone else. There are writers all over these boards, at local community colleges, hospitals, and more, and sometimes a semi-retired person willing to do it for nothing. There are more affordable options, and I'm not saying that meaning come to us. I refer out a lot just because someone wants a more local resource within driving distance, or any other reason they have. I'd rather see someone use a reputable writer than get stuck in something like this.

Forum Member

I apologize if this has already been asked... We were issued our first ever 1199A in late April to replace some very aged SCBA. I mailed it back with bank signatures etc. Is there any way to verify that it was received? Any clues to look for in the portal? New to this whole process & unsure how it all works. We have our fingers crossed for funding! Thanks for the help, have learned a lot from this forum! ~Christie

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sullfirerescue View Post
    I apologize if this has already been asked... We were issued our first ever 1199A in late April to replace some very aged SCBA. I mailed it back with bank signatures etc. Is there any way to verify that it was received? Any clues to look for in the portal? New to this whole process & unsure how it all works. We have our fingers crossed for funding! Thanks for the help, have learned a lot from this forum! ~Christie
    I believe so. Log in and check the dropdown box for "View 1199a". If it's there, they have received it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I believe so. Log in and check the dropdown box for "View 1199a". If it's there, they have received it.
    Almost -- click on View 1199A and see if there is still a "Print" button. If that has disappeared, then the financial information has been accepted into the system. You should also receive an e-mail, but the system generated e-mails seem to be hiccuping lately; even the award e-mails never went out last week.

Forum Member

You should have gotten an email that it was received and processed also. Sometimes that never makes it across the wire.

Other way to tell is if you do View 1199A and Go, on the 1199A page if the Print 1199A button is still there then they didn't process yet but most likely received it. If it's gone then they did both.

As long as the online submission was done they'll make the award, and if they didn't get the faxed version by the time money needs to change hands they'll contact you to re-send it.

Sly posted the same thing at the same time. JINX!
    Last edited by BC79er; 05-21-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Great minds think alike....

Forum Member

Thanks,everyone! I can still print & have not received an email but it's good to know that they will still go ahead with the award, if we are chosen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found an Update 1199A that wasn't there yesterday for SCBA & compressor fill station.

Forum Member

Wish more vehicle 1199A's would drop.
    erobinette17 likes this.

Forum Member

Has anybody received a 1199 for vehicle?

Forum Member

2-3 weeks ago on Monday they released some. Can't remember what page the postings were on to narrow down dates, but were trucks of all types in that grouping. They aren't done, more trucks to come at some point in the unknown future.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    2-3 weeks ago on Monday they released some. Can't remember what page the postings were on to narrow down dates, but were trucks of all types in that grouping. They aren't done, more trucks to come at some point in the unknown future.
    Just like more awards to come in the unknown future......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by erobinette17 View Post
    Has anybody received a 1199 for vehicle?
    Yes sir. Second grant vehicle for a department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Received a request to update 1199A at 05:04 this morning for LDH supply hose. This was submitted as a micro grant.

Forum Member

Just got back from a meeting, found a rescue tool Ops that wasn't there last night so progress was made today. Time to run the rest of the list...

Forum Member

I received an email for notification this morning for Round 5. $27,500 - Extrication Equipment. I submitted this as a micro grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't find the list of today's awards. 5/16 was the last award I could find on the list.
    BB

Forum Member

They're probably slow on posting it, not the first time it hasn't shown up first thing in the morning. As long as the awarded folks get their email then it's official.

Forum Member

I too found a rescue tool app with a slight reduction; e-mail dated yesterday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sly, If I may ask, what were the reduced amounts?
    BB

Forum Member

Power Unit down to $7,500.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about Spreaders and Cutters
    BB

Forum Member

Spreader - $8,175
    Cutter - $6,400

MembersZone Subscriber

Patience hell, I'm ready to kill something. Is it just me or is this a slow, slow week for any updates?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Word through the grapevine was that at least 2 were found yesterday, haven't had time to do more than spot check myself but found nothing so far. Was waiting on the post 4pm EST range to see if anything cracked.

Forum Member

Nothing but two update profiles in the last week on the same dept! Crickets are chirping in WV
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Thread Information