Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By firepundit

Thread: who's using wireless remote controlled deck guns?

Forum Member

Default who's using wireless remote controlled deck guns?

Anyone using wireless remote controlled deck guns with electric extension risers? What manufacture are you using? Pros & Cons? Looking for feedback on these. Seem to be worth looking at for use on limited manpower engines.
    roadmd

Forum Member

We just got one on our new rescue pumper. Its a 2000gpm TFT Monsoon with the electronic riser. This thing puts out a ridiculous amount of water lol We have used it quite a few times and have had zero problem with it. When we first got it, it was kind of tilted which caused it to hit the side of the hole it sits in, but that was an easy fix when we took it in for a few other small things. We are a volunteer department and we got it for two reasons, 1) low manpower and 2) keeps guys from having to climb on top of the truck with it being a side mount pump. The programmable oscillate feature is awesome and works perfectly. So far we haven't had any problems with range on the controller either.

If you have anymore questions let me know, ill do my best to answer them.
    --Brendan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireresq1419 View Post
    We just got one on our new rescue pumper. Its a 2000gpm TFT Monsoon with the electronic riser. This thing puts out a ridiculous amount of water lol We have used it quite a few times and have had zero problem with it. When we first got it, it was kind of tilted which caused it to hit the side of the hole it sits in, but that was an easy fix when we took it in for a few other small things. We are a volunteer department and we got it for two reasons, 1) low manpower and 2) keeps guys from having to climb on top of the truck with it being a side mount pump. The programmable oscillate feature is awesome and works perfectly. So far we haven't had any problems with range on the controller either.

If you have anymore questions let me know, ill do my best to answer them.
    --Brendan
    OK, I've got a question, or more.

How often have you actually used it in a response as opposed to training?

Why did the apparatus get accepted if it was tilted?

Do you really need the oscillating feature if you have a remote control? (Both are additional money.)

When in the world would you ever need a 2000 GPM monitor to oscillate when it can be pointed where needed unless you intend to abandon the apparatus?

Is the pump operator so busy he can't operate a hard wired control which would be cheaper?

What cash cow allows you to get a rescue pumper with a 2000 GPM remote controlled monitor when you have a manpower shortage which implies a small coverage area?
    Last edited by firepundit; 04-11-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Forum Member

Default Geez...

Firepundit,

These don't sound like legitimate questions. These sound like loaded jabs at what another department spends it's money on. Don't be a jerk.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by efd281 View Post
    Firepundit,

These don't sound like legitimate questions. These sound like loaded jabs at what another department spends it's money on. Don't be a jerk.
    I will post what I please. Are you the newest censor?
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by efd281 View Post
    Firepundit,

Just for you, I will elaborate.

I have sold apparatus to large departments and huge industrial complexes. I have to wonder why a volunteer department that has problems with recruitment would spend money on such a thing. If you have a problem with that, so be it.

Just don't tell me to shut up. It won't work. You aren't my mother and you aren't my keeper.

Roll your eyes like a teenager all you want, it doesn't bother me in the least. Give me a "Whatever!" like a child and I will treat you like a child.

They may not seem like legitimate questions to you but, I would bet the taxpayers might think so.

Truth be told, they might very well have legitimate reasons for the purchase. If I don't ask I won't know. Having sold chrome plated deluge guns in the past, I have some serious reservations.

Any thing else you want to scold me on?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Just for you, I will elaborate.

I have sold apparatus to large departments and huge industrial complexes. I have to wonder why a volunteer department that has problems with recruitment would spend money on such a thing. If you have a problem with that, so be it.

Unless you are a taxpayer in that community, or a member of the body that approved funding why do you care what they spend their money on? Maybe they had a great committee and this met their needs.

Just don't tell me to shut up. It won't work. You aren't my mother and you aren't my keeper.

Wow! How about throwing in a Nanner Boo Boo and sticking your tongue out. Nice response, what are you 10 years old? By the way he never told you to shut up he called you a jerk.

Roll your eyes like a teenager all you want, it doesn't bother me in the least. Give me a "Whatever!" like a child and I will treat you like a child.

Can you read? Because I don't see a whatever anywhere either.

They may not seem like legitimate questions to you but, I would bet the taxpayers might think so.

Apparently the board that controls the money didn't have a problem with the purchase.

Truth be told, they might very well have legitimate reasons for the purchase. If I don't ask I won't know. Having sold chrome plated deluge guns in the past, I have some serious reservations.

So a remote control monitor with an oscilation feature is the equivalent of a chrome plated deluge gun? Maybe if you had asked why they bought what they did instead of launching a huge hissy fit he may have told you the reasoning behind it.

Any thing else you want to scold me on?

I don't think he needs to add a thing, you left quite an impressive image all by yourself.
    Did you happen to lose the sale on the truck mentioned here?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-13-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Firepundit, here are some answers to your questions:

Do you really need the oscillating feature if you have a remote control? (Both are additional money.)

-The TFT's come standard with the oscillate feature. It costs extra on an Akron and I'm not sure about an Elkhart.

Is the pump operator so busy he can't operate a hard wired control which would be cheaper?

The wireless remote (or even a tethered remote) allow the pump operator to move and get a better view of the fire. It has nothing to do with how busy he is. If he can't see the fire from the pump panel, this will allow him to go see what he's throwing water at.

What cash cow allows you to get a rescue pumper with a 2000 GPM remote controlled monitor when you have a manpower shortage which implies a small coverage area?

Tax base has nothing to do with manpower. The OP could very well be in a wealthy area where no one wants to volunteer or he could live in a poor area with many volunteers who simply aren't available during the day. If it's paid, he may only have 3 guys on an engine, which is in no way related to their coverage area either. It's also possible that they saved enough money on other parts of the rig in order to afford the remote deck gun.

I have a problem with this because it demonstrates that you don't understand how the volunteer side of things works. If you know that only a handful of guys make calls during the day, then it makes sense to not have to send someone up top to work the deck gun. I don't know of many dept's that have a dedicated recruiting budget, or places where they can spend tons of money on recruitment.

Let's imagine how the FD would present this to the taxpayers. "Often, we don't have enough firefighters to fight the fires. By spending some additional money on a remote control deck gun, we can do more with less. This truck will have a life of 20 years, so if you look at the extra cost of the deck gun over the life of the truck, it's a very minimal price increase, which would have very large benefits."

Having sold chrome plated deluge guns in the past, I have some serious reservations.

You keep saying how you're such a big, bad salesman, yet your comments demonstrate that you have little to no understanding of how the trucks were actually going to be used.

In case you're wondering, no I'm not a salesman, but I work with them. Your attitude is like a cancer in the industry. You have no desire to educate the customer or even be knowledgeable about the product.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post

Yes, it has actually been used on fires. We have used it on a few house fires for fire attack, as well as for exposure protection. It has also been used extensively in training so that everyone knows it capabilities so it can be fully utilized on scenes.

It wasn't that noticeable, the only reason we found it is because on very rare occasion it didn't go down all the way. Like I said though it is already fixed and it was down quickly and without problem after we found it.

I am almost 100% positive that oscillating feature was included.

When in the world would you ever need a 2000 GPM monitor to oscillate when it can be pointed where needed unless you intend to abandon the apparatus?

We need that 2000GPM because we have a tank farm, a fuel distribution center, and a compressed gas manufacturing plant (acetylene, argon, helium, oxygen, ect.) In our neighboring district they have an ethanol plant as well as many other chemical plants. This truck allows us to flow big water if we need it. Its not that we would abandon the truck, it would just be nice to set it to oscillate where we wouldn't have to commit a guy to the top of the truck or to the remote to control it.

We wanted the remote because it allows the operate to move away from the truck to get a better view point of the scene. He isn't constrained to within 15 or so feet of the panel.

We by no means have a huge amount of money. This truck was the first truck we bought in 14 years and we speced it to what we needed. The truck overall is a basic truck we just decided to go with this deck gun because it fit our needs. We do have manpower shortages during the day, but we are better at night when people are available.

I tried to answeer your question as fully and politely as possible. Hope this helps to prove to YOU why OUR truck fit OUR needs. If you have anymore questions, I will gladly answer them for you.
    --Brendan

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Originally Posted by firepundit

Yes, it has actually been used on fires. We have used it on a few house fires for fire attack, as well as for exposure protection. It has also been used extensively in training so that everyone knows it capabilities so it can be fully utilized on scenes.

It wasn't that noticeable, the only reason we found it is because on very rare occasion it didn't go down all the way. Like I said though it is already fixed and it was down quickly and without problem after we found it.

I am almost 100% positive that oscillating feature was included.

We need that 2000GPM because we have a tank farm, a fuel distribution center, and a compressed gas manufacturing plant (acetylene, argon, helium, oxygen, ect.) In our neighboring district they have an ethanol plant as well as many other chemical plants. This truck allows us to flow big water if we need it. Its not that we would abandon the truck, it would just be nice to set it to oscillate where we wouldn't have to commit a guy to the top of the truck or to the remote to control it.

We wanted the remote because it allows the operate to move away from the truck to get a better view point of the scene. He isn't constrained to within 15 or so feet of the panel.

We by no means have a huge amount of money. This truck was the first truck we bought in 14 years and we speced it to what we needed. The truck overall is a basic truck we just decided to go with this deck gun because it fit our needs. We do have manpower shortages during the day, but we are better at night when people are available.

I tried to answeer your question as fully and politely as possible. Hope this helps to prove to YOU why OUR truck fit OUR needs. If you have anymore questions, I will gladly answer them for you.
    --Brendan
    I think someone just got told!!

Thanks for explaining the reasons for what you did Brandon. We had some of the same questions from our neighbors when we bought a 2000 gpm engine for our small community. We knew our hydrant system couldn't support that big of a pump, but we have a creek that runs through town and we installed 2 side by side 6 inch dry hydrants to cover a large cheese factory and a nursing home. Also, with the quantity of 5 inch hose we have spread across three engines we can cover the entire down town and more from those dry hydrants in the event of a water system failure. We also have other drafting sights where the large capacity pump and LDH allow us to cover other large prtions of town if need be.

People need to understand that sometimes fire departments actually DO look at their needs and buy what works for them, not a cookie cutter rig that works for someone else.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-13-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I think someone just got told!!
    Thanks for explaining the reasons for what you did Brandon. We had some of the same questions from our nrighbors when we bought a 2000 gpm engine for our small community. We knew our hydrant system couldn't support that big of a pump, but we have a creek that runs through town and we installed 2 side by side 6 inch dry hydrants to cover a large cheese factory and a nursing home. Also, with the quantity of 5 inch hose we have spread across three engines we can cover the entire down town and more from those dry hydrants in the event of a water system failure. We also have other drafting sights where the large capacity pump and LDH allow us to cover other large prtions of town if need be.

People need to understand that sometimes fire departments actually DO look at their needs and buy what works for them, not a cookie cutter rig that works for someone else.
    Thank you. Like you, we have a few good places to draft and have PLENTY of LDH. Our normal intown hydrants work for normal fires and flowing hoselines and a master stream, but they are not capable of flowing this truck to its potential. BUT, the hydrants near the industrial areas are awesome and they have many lakes/ponds we can draft out of so if the time arises, we can flow some big water out of them hydrants.

When we bought this truck, we knew we needed to be very thorough because we need it to last awhile and do exactly what we need. So far its been awesome and we haven't got any complaints.

Forum Member

--Brendan

I appreciate your polite answers. Apparently, simply asking for reasons irritates some people. The fact is, asking questions like this actually is what is required to make sure that the equipment delivered will solve the problems the customer wants solved.

When asked about actual use you responded that is has been used on house fires. O.K. Not sure how often a residential building would require 2000 GPM but a fair response. The training aspect was a really good answer because having an appliance like that should require a respectable amount of training. Just wondering if is was actually getting used.

Good answers.

On the tilted apparatus issue, don't feel bad. Lots of apparatus built on C9000 Ford tilt cabs leaned to the right and got accepted. I was just stressing the importance of a formal acceptance procedure. Peters wrote the book on the buying process because of this kind of thing.

Regarding the oscillating feature. A standard Typhoon is neither remote controlled nor has the oscillating feature. In their price list the electronically controlled unit has both. Poor wording on my part. I didn't think of checking their price list before making a post. Most of what I sell is from a different manufacturer and they price options different. Sorry.

When asked about need for the 2000GPM, you certainly answered in a straight forward manner that justified the cost. I might be a salesman but, I actually do try not to sell 2000 GPM pumps, 2000 GPM monitors, 600HP engines, or satellite antennas to people that don't need them and was interested in your response.

As to remote control, yes, it is great, but it comes with a price and I just wanted to understand your need. When I was on a department all of our monitors were remote controlled. The OIC would get on the radio and tell the Captain where the water should be going. He would yell at the operator. Technology can make up for manpower shortages but it sure was great to have enough people to get the job done under any circumstances.

Oh, not to be impolite, especially after your thoughtful reply, please quit calling it a truck if it doesn't have an aerial device of some kind. Just a suggestion.

I hope whoever sold you this truck asked similar questions. It appears you guys did your homework and it is a pleasure to hear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    I appreciate your polite answers. Apparently, simply asking for reasons irritates some people. The fact is, asking questions like this actually is what is required to make sure that the equipment delivered will solve the problems the customer wants solved.

When asked about actual use you responded that is has been used on house fires. O.K. Not sure how often a residential building would require 2000 GPM but a fair response. The training aspect was a really good answer because having an appliance like that should require a respectable amount of training. Just wondering if is was actually getting used.

The residential fire it was used on, it wasn't being flowed at its full capability, so it wasn't flowing a full 2000GPM
    Good answers.

On the tilted apparatus issue, don't feel bad. Lots of apparatus built on C9000 Ford tilt cabs leaned to the right and got accepted. I was just stressing the importance of a formal acceptance procedure. Peters wrote the book on the buying process because of this kind of thing.

I think I need to clarify lol The whole truck was not tilted, it was just the riser for the deck gun. Just a few adjustment to some bolts and its now good to go.

Regarding the oscillating feature. A standard Typhoon is neither remote controlled nor has the oscillating feature. In their price list the electronically controlled unit has both. Poor wording on my part. I didn't think of checking their price list before making a post. Most of what I sell is from a different manufacturer and they price options different. Sorry.

When asked about need for the 2000GPM, you certainly answered in a straight forward manner that justified the cost. I might be a salesman but, I actually do try not to sell 2000 GPM pumps, 2000 GPM monitors, 600HP engines, or satellite antennas to people that don't need them and was interested in your response.

As to remote control, yes, it is great, but it comes with a price and I just wanted to understand your need. When I was on a department all of our monitors were remote controlled. The OIC would get on the radio and tell the Captain where the water should be going. He would yell at the operator. Technology can make up for manpower shortages but it sure was great to have enough people to get the job done under any circumstances.

I wish we had the manpower all the time, but sometimes you just got deal with what you get, and this gives us the option to free up a guy from on top of the truck.

Oh, not to be impolite, especially after your thoughtful reply, please quit calling it a truck if it doesn't have an aerial device of some kind. Just a suggestion.
    I will take that into consideration lol

I hope whoever sold you this truck asked similar questions. It appears you guys did your homework and it is a pleasure to hear.
    We tried to be as thorough as possible when we were specing this truck, and the salesmen definitely helped out quite a bit. We are proud of what we designed, and we are extremely happy with it so far.
    --Brendan

Thread Information