Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By jmoulton
  • 1 Post By michaeldsimpson

Thread: Paramedic Question

Forum Member

Default Paramedic Question

Not sure if this is the place to start a new thread for this or not. I am a FF/EMT-B in IL and am trying to go through Paramedic this fall. My question is, do I have to be working with a Fire Department or Private Ambulance Company before I can go through a program? I have heard many different things from many different people and am confused with how this process works.

Are there other options out there if I am not working for a Fire Department or a Private Ambulance Company?

This is an extremely though process and I appreciate all the information anyone can through my way! Thanks everyone!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bonez View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to start a new thread for this or not. I am a FF/EMT-B in IL and am trying to go through Paramedic this fall. My question is, do I have to be working with a Fire Department or Private Ambulance Company before I can go through a program? I have heard many different things from many different people and am confused with how this process works.

Are there other options out there if I am not working for a Fire Department or a Private Ambulance Company?

This is an extremely though process and I appreciate all the information anyone can through my way! Thanks everyone!!

Best source is call the school.

If it is a private school, college or similar you should be able to take the class

If FD it might be for their own people, but some will let outsiders in

And once again depending on the school you may or may not have to work for someone

CALL. The school

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Fire49 said contact the school. There are many types of programs out there some get you an Associates Degree others do not. I know the college program near me requires that you be an EMT-B for at least six months and verification that you have provided patient care on 50 patients. I also know that there are other programs that do not have those requirements.
    bonez likes this.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones
    Most states now have a criteria in place that you have to have additional experience prior to entering paramedic training and this is usually in the form of documented field experience or completing an EMT Internship for those with no street time. These programs are usually a couple months and basically consist primarily of ride time.
    You can check with your program but there are no programs that I know of that make it mandatory to be working for a fire department or ambulance service because all clinical time is involved with the class. Now in the short version it would be very helpful to you to be working in the "field" to help incorporate your paramedic training into real time experiences.
    One option instead of working for a fire department or ambulance service is working with in an Emergency Room setting as a tech although this will not full fill your internship requirement it will allow you contact time and a start to your future in EMS? Good Luck
    bonez likes this.

Thread Information