Thread: DoD FF question

Forum Member

Default DoD FF question

I am a Navy Veteran and have been trying to get on DoD fire for the longest. Is there anyone out there the has any pointers? Is there a DoD fire school? Do they only hire prior or certified FFs?

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlcowboys5 View Post
    I am a Navy Veteran and have been trying to get on DoD fire for the longest. Is there anyone out there the has any pointers? Is there a DoD fire school? Do they only hire prior or certified FFs?

Thanks

Are you asking about active duty or civilian federal firefighter??

Forum Member

What state are you in???

The Air Force runs the fire school in San Angelo

If trying to get on civilian fed you need to look for a training position such as GS 3 or 4, with no experience

Is there some reason you do not want to work for a city?? Most of the time better working conditions

Yes they normally look for ex active firefighters which the Air Force produces a lot of
    Last edited by fire49; 04-08-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Forum Member

For city depts you might check this site for help

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

Forum Member

Looking into the GS side..

I'm in FL right now, I've applied to a few depts in GA and hoping someone bites. The only reason I want DoD fire is so I can get back to Guam, also retirement and benefits are a lot better than many depts. From what I've been reading is they no longer hire people without any certs.

Forum Member

I was an AF firefighter on active duty for almost 6 yrs, within the dod system its all about certifications. If you have none start looking on USAJOB.GOV for lower entry level jobs to get into the system (GS-05 and lower) to get your foot in the door.The fire school for all branches is in San Angelo TX at Goodfellow AFB, its about a 14 week long academy including civilian and military fire recruits. And also check to see what certifications held in your state transfer over to IFSAC qualifications. You could potentially get into the system with a local academy and transfer to IFSAC to qualify for jobs (make sure you check and see if these transfer over to IFSAC).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlcowboys5 View Post
    Looking into the GS side..

I'm in FL right now, I've applied to a few depts in GA and hoping someone bites. The only reason I want DoD fire is so I can get back to Guam, also retirement and benefits are a lot better than many depts. From what I've been reading is they no longer hire people without any certs.

Only suggestion is look for anyone hiring GS 3 or 4 level

Or maybe get another GS job and keep trying for FD and Guam while you have a job

Forum Member

Jobs like these are your best bet...unless you already have IFSAC certs. Search usa jobs 0081 is the job code, and you will only be eligible for jobs open to citizens. Most likely going to be at the gs 3/4/5 level with a promotion potential to 7.

I was active duty fire and gs and now city... I can answer any questions you might have. Pm me..

Thread Information