1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default Going to academy in july. Academic concerns

    I am 25 years old, recently separated Army vet, with absolutely zero experience or knowledge in the fire service (unless putting out range fires count haha). I am still in great physical shape (crossfit trainer and competitor) but really have no idea what to do in order to prepare myself for the academic portion. I've been attending college since I got out of the military and have kept a 4.0 in the Emergency Medical Technology degree path, but fire science is something totally new to me. I hope to be going to academy in July with the Killeen Fire Department.

    I keep seeing that I will most likely be going to academy with people that have WAY more experience than me, I would like to close that gap as much as possible before July. I know I don't really have a lot of time to do this in, but i'm not going to academy to just pass, I want to be the first in the class and hopefully get a job with KFD.
    Last edited by joek9966; 04-14-2014 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joek9966 View Post
    I am 25 years old, recently separated Army vet, with absolutely zero experience or knowledge in the fire service (unless putting out range fires count haha). I am still in great physical shape (crossfit trainer and competitor) but really have no idea what to do in order to prepare myself for the academic portion. I've been attending college since I got out of the military and have kept a 4.0 in the Emergency Medical Technology degree path, but fire science is something totally new to me. I hope to be going to academy in July with the Killeen Fire Department.

    I keep seeing that I will most likely be going to academy with people that have WAY more experience than me, I would like to close that gap as much as possible before July. I know I don't really have a lot of time to do this in, but i'm not going to academy to just pass, I want to be the first in the class and hopefully get a job with KFD.
    Will not say don't sweat it, but don't sweat it

    If you can do Army basic you will do great.

    Just listen
    Start a study group day one

    Start study questions day one and you will do good


    Is Killeen doing their own academy or sending you to someone else's ???

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    So has Killeen hired you?? And all you need is the academy

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Two goals get through the academy, do not worry about being number one


    Pass the state test, which you only have to hit 70 per cent on

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    It is kind of like Army basic training. They teach you how to march and shoot.

    Once you get out of basic the real training starts

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I guess I should clarify. KFD has not hired me, though I will be going to their academy in July. I'm not sure if that means their hiring process is different or what. The academy has a class size of 30 people and is held twice a year.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Will not say don't sweat it, but don't sweat it

    If you can do Army basic you will do great.

    Just listen
    Start a study group day one

    Start study questions day one and you will do good


    Is Killeen doing their own academy or sending you to someone else's ???
    Killeen is doing their own these days, right next to their central fire station.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joek9966 View Post
    I guess I should clarify. KFD has not hired me, though I will be going to their academy in July. I'm not sure if that means their hiring process is different or what. The academy has a class size of 30 people and is held twice a year.
    You are going on your own, to get TX FF certified I take.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Do you know about this web site??





    http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp


    check it weekly

    My next suggestion is to get paramedic certified, that will cut down competiton a great deal and if yo look at most DFW area depts they require it to apply.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    another route to go to get TX FF certified is this on line class.

    You do all your book work online, than attend their two week onsite 24 hour a day academy

    http://www.trainingdivision.com/?gcl...FeMF7AodGVQAlA

    the academy is just south of Fort Worth. the good is less time setting in a classroom.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I plan on keeping up with school and getting my other EMT/medic certs, but will be taking fall semester to go to academy.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    the other advice is do not limit yourself to one dept. Sometimes they may not have openings for awhile, and than you still have to make it above the rest that are applying.

    So apply any where and everywhere.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I plan on applying everywhere I can once I graduate, it sounds like fire service jobs are hard to find?

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joek9966 View Post
    I plan on applying everywhere I can once I graduate, it sounds like fire service jobs are hard to find?
    Not hard to find a matter of luck getting one, in my opinion.

    You also need to look some, not to many cities in TX have an upper age limit, normally around 35/36.
    so look at the annocement to see if there is one.

    That is why I suggest the trainging div. route, just a little faster if you are already an EMT.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I'm getting ready to start a fire recruit school myself. As a fellow Vet I'm assuming it's going to be like a hybrid of Basic and AIT. One thing I did was finding out the isbn number of the textbook they use in school. I bought a crappy copy off of amazon so I can start brushing up. Good luck!!!

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
    I'm getting ready to start a fire recruit school myself. As a fellow Vet I'm assuming it's going to be like a hybrid of Basic and AIT. One thing I did was finding out the isbn number of the textbook they use in school. I bought a crappy copy off of amazon so I can start brushing up. Good luck!!!
    What state are you in??

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I'm in Virginia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Aspiring Firefighter, need academic direction
    By Fighter29 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
  2. Aspiring Firefighter, need academic direction
    By Fighter29 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
  3. Academic degree / portfolio assesment
    By Zig123 in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 11:17 PM
  4. July academy
    By JOGEHRIG in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM
  5. Going to the Academy in July Any Tips?
    By Engine58 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register