Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rgugs

Thread: Still hiring

Forum Member

Default Still hiring

Hey guys I'm wondering if they are still hiring for seasonal jobs? I got a lot of referral notices back but didn't get any calls. I applied to gs3 for it being my first year and no experience but do have certs. Just wondering. thanks

Forum Member

Don't know where you applied, or which agencies you applied to but yes there is still some hiring going on. Some forests are just behind on their hiring, and some are refilling jobs from people getting a more attractive offer. I have two past employees who just got hired by Calfire on Monday, so they are still in hiring mode as well.

If you haven't been offered a job, I would check back with any contacts you have made and make sure your phone is available and ready by your side. With late hiring the final decision on who gets hired may come down to simply being the one who answers their phone promptly when called, instead of being the one that returns a call tomorrow or the next day after the job has been filled.

When you have minimal training / experience you will probably not get any calls early on unless you have done a really good job politicking at the stations, but your odds improve later on when the most qualified have already taken jobs and captains are looking to backfill.

Forum Member

I applied on usa jobs and got a lot of refferal notices from blm I applied to mostly all of them or to the ones I can . I started applying in December. I'm just hoping I can got on some where.

Forum Member

I was in the same situation. I got about 75 referrals and was pretty hopeful, but heard nothing until about 3 weeks ago, after I had pretty much given up on it. I was hired for the first position before I got the 2nd email last week.

I'd say be ready to answer any emails or calls quickly, and be ready to start soon after.

Good luck!
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm almost getting there as well but will hope I get picked up but thanks guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David819 View Post
    I'm almost getting there as well but will hope I get picked up but thanks guys
    What is the word? Any luck?

Forum Member

Hundreds and hundreds of people apply for jobs posted on usajobs. I work with a forester now who told me he applied for 100+ jobs before he got the one he has now. I'd keep applying and try to pad your resume too.

Forum Member

I have a job open in Mississippi. Just for a wildfire season. I'm the chief. Still looking for a job?

Thread Information