Forum Member

Default I need a opinion from fellow firefighters

I tore my meniscus and had surgery in 2009. I tore it again and had surgery back in March. I suppose to meet with the Doc on the the 23rd to see If i am able to return to work. My knee is not better. It hurts when the smallest presure it pressed against it. It hurt bad if I get on my knees. In a fire if you can't see your feet then you are suppose to get on your knees. While doing PT I was told that I'm knocked in the jacked up knee. I also have no arch. I have tore my meniscus twice, my knee is crooked, flat footed, slew footed, and I'm tall. I'm 6'6. Should I be honest with the doc and tell him my knee is still hurting or lie and say everything is fine? I'm afraid if I'm honest he won't clear me to be a firefighter. I only have 12 years left till retirement. I am a lieutenant so I am in a position to give more order than tak orders. I am the only one working so i need this job to support my wife and kids. I work for a small department and we don't have many fires. I don't know if the risk is worth being honest.

Forum Member

Get second opinion ?

Get a good pt person that deals with work rehab , like for athletes

Do you have more sick leave to burn? Stay off

Knee replacement??

Move to front office??

Forum Member

Don't post a question of whether to lie or not to keep your job on a public forum...would be the BEST advice I can ever give you.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

When it comes to employment and injuries, even if off-duty, you never EVER lie. Period.

Let's say you do tell fib or two or "bend the truth" and go back to work. You may not see a lot of action but yes you can, have and will see something once in a while. Lets say you get a first in inch and three quarter job and you are doing the Company Officer thing and advancing the line with your guys.....You take a spill down the steps and mess up your already-messed-up knee even more. You go through the IOD hoops and you lie to the IOD docs about it already being messed up........They prove that it was already messed up, then your Municipality denies your claim, stops your Disability checks and worse- they or the disability insurance provider demands repayment of the several months of compensation you have already received- guess what.....you are skrewed.

If you knee is that bad, it might be time to think about packing it in and trying for a medical or disability retirement. Start by seeking a second opinion from another surgeon. Then if he/she says they can repair it and get you back to work, consider the worst case options. Run the numbers of a medical retirement versus getting it repaired and staying.....How much sick and vacation leave do you have? How about an early retirement incentive from your employer? Consider all the variables. Calculate repair/staying versus leaving. Consider another job if you have to retire. Others suggested light duty- Fire Marshal's Office? Code Enforcement? Training Division? Fire Inspector......Consider these in the private sector if you have to retire.

But above all else- never, EVER lie to the Docs......You think your finances are skrewed bad now........if it comes back to bite you in the azz, it's gonna hurt BAD.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is the second opinion. The 1st doc said i needed a kee replacement. I have over a 1000 hours of vacation time. I only have around 200 hours of sick time because I used a bunch for medical leave.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. The 1st PT said maybe i should find a disk job. I never would have guess in a million years that its a possibility of being a cripple at 35. It's not like I didnt stay fit. I exercised everyday and ate right. This is very depressing.

Forum Member

Well understand
    My wife had to do both knees replaced

And she had a standing job, which now she cannot stand for long periods of time , but I think it is a few other factors involved

You might check into knee replacement

The technology is great and rehab time is down , just ask the doctor about resuming full time firefighting and see what they say

What do the doctors say about more pt? Do they feel you can get back to work?

Forum Member

I go back to the doc on the 23rd. He told me to go back to work then, but if I still have pain then come see him.

Forum Member

Much better to tell the truth and instead of thinking of your job, you should consider your health. Lying would not work for you here, it will just hurt or injured you badly. Now, you are the main concern, let time come that you'll get fine and able to work again.
    Last edited by jaysoncalwell; 04-22-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Look at it this way: if you return to work and suffer a career-ending injury because you weren't honest with the physician, do you have another skill set you can fall back on to support your family?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I have been looking at several federal jobs. Some of them will accept a master degree as experience. I am about a year out from getting my masters. After that I will try for my phd. However, having a masters or phd don't gurtentee a job.

Forum Member

Is this an on-duty injury, or an off-duty injury?

If it is an on-duty injury, I would suggest that your municipality owns the injury and is responsible for getting you back to, or as near as possible back to full health. That may mean carrying you in an injured status for quite some time. I'd get a second opinion, and keep the municipalityfully informed of what is going on, and your desire to get back to normal. I would not sign, or agree to anything less, and I would not agree to any type of "retirement" until ensured by a doctor you trust, not the municipality's doctor, that your are as good as you'll get, and retirement is the best option. If retirement doesn't sit well with you, or is financially not realistic, perhaps you could take a desk job in the department. Our department tries to reserve certain jobs for qualified walking wounded.

If this is an off-duty injury your options are different. You've got to weigh your options carefully, as the municipality owes you little. I'd not give up the quest to get your knee squared away. Again, I think a second opinion is needed. Let the municipality know only what you think they won't use against you, but make sure they understand your desire to return to work. If it looks like your rehab will take a considerable amount of time, I'd look into getting some type of modified duty/desk job.

Good luck

Forum Member

Well He didnt clear me. Well he cleared me but no running, stairs, or kneeling. Then he wrote needs a desk job. I have to go back at the end of May.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by psilentchild View Post
    Well He didnt clear me. Well he cleared me but no running, stairs, or kneeling. Then he wrote needs a desk job. I have to go back at the end of May.
    He say anything about the pain ??

Needs more time or there is a problem??

Forum Member

Is it me or does something just not sound right about this whole thread? Maybe a fishing expedition? Or perhaps an administrator looking for ammunition to fire at an employee who has suffered a non-duty injury?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'm seeing it the opposite way....an employee looking to skate the system.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Ok , I see it as someone young who wants to put more years in as a firefighter!!

The problem with the fire system is either you are a firefighter or a chief, not much in between if you have a short term physical problem.

You can only ship so many walking wounded to fire admin

Forum Member

I'm not young I'm 35. I'm not looking to skate the system either. I'm just trying to make sure i make the right decision about my knee. The is a lot to consider. I have a wife and 2 kids to support. If I can't work what are they suppose to do? Im not adking for anything from my job. im just trying to work to provide for my family. The doc wants to give me more time to heal. What have I said that sounds fishy? How am I trying to skate the system? What husband or father wouldn't want to work to provide for his family. The mortage company is not going to understand I can't pay you this month because I hade to quit my job because if medical reason and I haven't found a job yet. It's over with now. I have enough sick time and vacation time to be able to take off another 6 months if I need it. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, everything will be better when I go back.
    Last edited by psilentchild; 04-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Forum Member

Sorry about the typos.

Forum Member

Since you have the time off take it and rehab

Maybe look for a different pt , if you feel like they are not helping you

And also maybe visit the dr once a month

You are on fmla to protect your job? Don't know much about fmla

Forum Member

...What have I said that sounds fishy? How am I trying to skate the system?...
    This....

Should I be honest with the doc and tell him my knee is still hurting or lie and say everything is fine? I'm afraid if I'm honest he won't clear me to be a firefighter. I only have 12 years left till retirement. I am a lieutenant so I am in a position to give more order than tak orders. I am the only one working so i need this job to support my wife and kids. I work for a small department and we don't have many fires. I don't know if the risk is worth being honest.

Forum Member

Thanks for your contribution to my post Bones42.

Thread Information