Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Way to go, genius...

Forum Member

Default Way to go, genius...

http://www.statter911.com/2014/04/17...suspended-now/

Captain Drunken Moron does a quarter of a million dollars worth of damage to the ladder and blows twice the legal limit.

Impressive.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    http://www.statter911.com/2014/04/17...suspended-now/

Captain Drunken Moron does a quarter of a million dollars worth of damage to the ladder and blows twice the legal limit.

Impressive.
    Maybe his excuse will be he is just a volunteer...Seems to be okay elsewhere.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

love this quote from one of the stories online news:
    "The Lodi Council adopted an ordinance in November 2012 that restricted drinking at firehouses to special occasions, like regularly scheduled firefighter meetings and certain social events.

Can't believe that there are still bars with fire apparatus parked out back in 2014.

Forum Member

Was he at the firehouse drinking?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Policies, procedures and enforcement.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Was he at the firehouse drinking?
    It's not stated outright, but given the policy change you could certainly assume he was.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

This happened right by my house, actually in my wife's old town. Our Cheif brought it up at our meeting yesterday. Apparently now they are trying to pass a zero tolderance law for infractions including alcohol in a motor vehicle with first responders.

Forum Member

I don't think anyone believes that members should be responding with ETOH in their system, which includes a minimum 8-hour window between the least drink and response. That should apply to any member responding with any fire department, regardless of where the drinking has occurred.

But again, it's my belief that this can be avoided in firehouses with bars with clear and precise guidelines, and enforcement of those guidelines at all times.

It's really not rocket science.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I don't think anyone believes that members should be responding with ETOH in their system, which includes a minimum 8-hour window between the least drink and response. That should apply to any member responding with any fire department, regardless of where the drinking has occurred.

But again, it's my belief that this can be avoided in firehouses with bars with clear and precise guidelines, and enforcement of those guidelines at all times.

It's really not rocket science.
    So you really don't learn much at those tax payer junkets you attend.

Not that we didn't that already.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

It's pretty simple in Wisconsin, the legal blood alcohol limit for those operating emergency vehicles is 0.00. It doesn't matter where you drank the alcohol if you are above 0.00 you are DUI.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    So you really don't learn much at those tax payer junkets you attend.

Not that we didn't that already.
    The stalker reappears.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The stalker reappears.
    It's like playing Whack-A-Mole! (Not to be confused with playing Guac-A-Mole, where you strike avocados with a club).
    pasobuff likes this.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

The stalker reappears.
    So you agree that alcohol in the station is okay?

That's what our resident genie-a** is saying.

Given how often you respond, I can easily claim you are stalking me.

Since that seems to be your standard.
    Last edited by scfire86; 04-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Forum Member

Considering there was a thread that discussed this topic specifically, it was a commentary on how you only seem to be posting now whenever he does regardless of the main topic of the thread in which he posts. It is also a commentary on how your posts are kept to negative comments on him specifically and his views without offering positive examples, reasons, or other evidence that would persuade a viewer of the forums to side against him.

LAFE summarized his thoughts, Fyred responded with WI law. Rather than have the same argument all over, they chose to again state their opinions in a quick, easy to read manner.

In the previous thread, it was unanimous that no one should respond with alcohol in their systems. As such, there is no disagreement on the story which is the subject of this thread. If you want to debate the policy of allowing alcohol in the same building as fire trucks, please go over to the thread on that subject.
    RangerJake72 likes this.

Forum Member

I am pretty sure that one would find that an overwhelming majority of Professional Firefighters feel that alcohol has no place in a firehouse. Additionally, the same demographic also feel that when consuming alcohol that they must restrict responses for a minimum of 8 hours....Like a pilot: "8 hours....Bottle to Throttle."

Pubic Hair, what you make has no meaning whatsoever. If one cannot respond for 8 hours, a bar on the premises has zero value, unless if you specifically want to be a liability; then it has great potential to be a valuable asset to your organization.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

Pubic Hair, what you make has no meaning whatsoever. If one cannot respond for 8 hours, a bar on the premises has zero value, unless if you specifically want to be a liability; then it has great potential to be a valuable asset to your organization.
    Yep. When a department invests space and/or money in something on the premises that is intended to inspire firefighters to hang around--whether it's for response readiness, building of brotherhood or whatever--it should be an asset, not a liability. Pool tables, exercise equipment, ginormous TV's, you name it. But not a bar.

NOT A BAR.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Whether the person consumed the alcohol at the station or not, the presumption of guilt from the public and the press is going to be the violator was drinking at the station. That automatically makes it much more of a departmental problem than might be encountered otherwise. No alcohol at the station, then at least it doesn't cast the image of firefighters sitting around drinking waiting for the whistle to blow.

The liability is just too high to have alcohol at the fire station. Meetings should be to conduct business or training, and time spent drinking is time that should be spent training.

We are generally short-handed as it is at my department. I can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to have a meeting, half of the members have a beer after the meeting, then have the tones drop while everyone is still at the fire hall. Now half can't go because they've been drinking. Think a taxpayer isn't going to drive by and wonder why 8 or 10 guys are at the station and not gearing up and rolling? Think that won't make the news, facebook, and youtube?

Policies, procedures and enforcement won't fix that, or the giant black eye it gives the department for the life of everyone that remembers it. Especially if the sober members can't save the house or the occupants. Problem is, as much of a black eye as that would give the department, if any of those 8 to 10 tried to respond, it would just make things that much worse.

Sometimes, departments are their own worst enemies. No one wants to be micromanaged by any governmental entity, but things like this invite it.
    conrad427 likes this.

Forum Member

Honestly, I will adhere to the poolicies and procedures of my fire departments, and Wisconsin State law, regarding alcohol and emergency response. What LA's FD does in Louisiana is their business and in fact has no impact on me. Further show me where I said I approve of alcohol in the firehouse because unless you can you have resorted, once again, to lying about what I said.

Stalking you? Nope, just commenting on a topic that was going along pretty well until you interjected your hate filled rhetoric once again.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Honestly, I will adhere to the poolicies and procedures of my fire departments, and Wisconsin State law, regarding alcohol and emergency response. What LA's FD does in Louisiana is their business and in fact has no impact on me. Further show me where I said I approve of alcohol in the firehouse because unless you can you have resorted, once again, to lying about what I said.

Stalking you? Nope, just commenting on a topic that was going along pretty well until you interjected your hate filled rhetoric once again.
    You attacked me for stalking LAFE. His remarks about alcohol in the fire station are proof that he isn't concerned about the fire service and their role in society. The fact that this discussion is still being had at this point in time is remarkable in itself and is emblematic of what is wrong with factions of the fire service whether they be in Louisiana or anywhere else.

My rhetoric towards him isn't hate filled since I don't know him. I do know that his comments and attitudes towards firefighters is NOT good for the fire service as a whole. If you don't agree with that, so be it. I'll manage.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I am pretty sure that one would find that an overwhelming majority of Professional Firefighters feel that alcohol has no place in a firehouse. Additionally, the same demographic also feel that when consuming alcohol that they must restrict responses for a minimum of 8 hours....Like a pilot: "8 hours....Bottle to Throttle."

Except for the recruitment value, and the value to the older members that may no longer respond. You may argue that it has no value, but I disagree as long as there are clear policies which are enforced, which strictly prohibit any drinking and responding.

Neither of my current departments allow alcohol anywhere on the property at any time, and I believe that is pretty much the case at the vast majority of the departments in this 5 parish area. The same is true with my 3 previous VFDs. One did allow alcohol during the annual banquet but that was held off-premises and out of district with mutual aid cover at the station until 2AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Except for the recruitment value
    What recruitment value is there in saying, "Join the fire department so you can come here to drink and not respond to calls"?
    WVFD705 likes this.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

You attacked me for stalking LAFE. His remarks about alcohol in the fire station are proof that he isn't concerned about the fire service and their role in society. The fact that this discussion is still being had at this point in time is remarkable in itself and is emblematic of what is wrong with factions of the fire service whether they be in Louisiana or anywhere else.

My rhetoric towards him isn't hate filled since I don't know him. I do know that his comments and attitudes towards firefighters is NOT good for the fire service as a whole. If you don't agree with that, so be it. I'll manage.
    I am very concerned about the fire service's role in society, and the perception of society of the fire service.

Unlike you though, I have a much wider view of reality given quite frankly, as your experience is basically limited to a large career department (which had no expertise in managing volunteer personnel).
    My view is much wider having served in volunteer departments from busy suburban areas to some very slow, rural areas.

The reality is that there needs to be adjustments in how a department operates in these areas that do match the culture of the country, and there are places where bars in fire stations is part of the tradition of the firehouse and honestly, a role that is seen by the community as part of what they do. And those bars are very much accepted by the residents of those areas, and that is not going to go away.

Do those departments need firm controls? Sure, and I have stated that drinking and responding - either from the department bar, drinking a six pack in the station, or drinking off-premises should be dealt with through significant suspensions or outright dismissal.

So exactly where I come off saying that I support alcohol as part of the fire service I have no idea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    What recruitment value is there in saying, "Join the fire department so you can come here to drink and not respond to calls"?
    Again, if somebody tossed out the idea of a bar in either on of my current stations, I would oppose it tooth and nail.

That being said, there are places where a bar in the station is a recruitment tool, especially for members that may not respond often, but are movers and shakers in the community that do get things done for the department, often on a funding level, that do utilize the facility. In addition in many places, these facilities are a community center, and the community expects that a bar will be available for those functions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. Show me someone that requires alcohol to get and keep them involved, and I'll show you someone that's an alcoholic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WVFD705 View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing. Show me someone that requires alcohol to get and keep them involved, and I'll show you someone that's an alcoholic.
    So a guy that may want A beer after drill or stop in once a week at a staffed bar for a drink is a drunk?

Thread Information