Forum Member

Default NFPA 1901 for pickups and trailers

Does anyone know offhand what the requirements are for the rear of a pickup and for trailers used as emergency equipment?? I know they have to have warning lights on the front corners between 18 and 48 inches off the ground, but what else does it say about warning lights? (other than permissible colors, ie; amber and white)

Forum Member

Per Chapter 26 of 1901 they have to meet the same zone lighting and electrical requirements as any other apparatus. A tow vehicle/trailer combo that stays together throughout ops is considered one vehicle, so the rear lights on the truck won't be as important as the rear lights on the trailer.

Forum Member

Thanks, all I could find was some info that talked about the different zones around apparatus, and that there had to be lighting in the lower front corners, nothing about the rear.

Forum Member

I would question the need for emergency response for a trailer. The vast majority being support or at least slow response equipment, hazmat, breathing support, additional supplies for heavy rescue etc.

If it rolls with traffic does NFPA require a full emergency lighting package? Since the main reason for a trailer is low cost, it seems like spending almost as much on a lighting package as the cost of the trailer kind of defeats the point. Reflective striping and maybe a couple of extra warning flashers on the back should be sufficient.

Forum Member

The requirements address front, rear, and both sides. Zones A(front), B(right side), C(rear), and D(left side). Depending on the overall height, each zone may be divided into upper and lower sections. There is also a requirement as to maximum distance between the center of lights, minimum candella/sec per zone measured in 5 degree increments, and much more.

If this unit will be requesting the right-of-way or otherwise used as an emergency vehicle, NFPA might apply based on state laws.

I don't have my copy with me and can't get the website reader to work on this computer or I would be more exact. You can read the pamphlet for free at http://www.nfpa.org you just can't print it.

Thread Information